Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: so i just put 130 hours into Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought's tutorial  (Read 868 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

and ive never played the actual campaign mode.

context: ua:d is a ship designing game with an intense eye on resource management (would you put a hullmod on your capital ship in SS to get +17% turn rate but it multiplies the cost of your engines by their weight and then multiplying the result by +9900% (no i am not missing a decimal point)? have fun parsing that after a long day at the office), in which you take your ships into combat (TO WATCH THE AI PILOT THEM YOU DONT GET TO SHOOT THE GUNS). TLDR; If you've played HOI4 lately it's the equipment designer but if it were the whole game
the game was in early access for a while as they hammered out the building/combat mechanics with a string of missions meant to tutorialize the player to the game's mechanics as well as to explain & test naval warfare doctrine (can you prove Jeune Ecole's doctrine of all torpedoes & light HE guns correct? sink a ship suspiciously close to the Bismark but dunk on the british navy by not losing a battleship in the process like some sort of nerd) that got built out more & more until they added the last feature before release which was the actual campaign

I recently had a big changeup in my medication & while i waited for the insanity debuff to wear off i snuggled up with this game in a concerted effort to actually Beat the darn missions and after getting far enough in that I've started to get bored of it I realized I had put 130 hours into what is effectively a tutorial mode. So I decided to crack open the campaign bc, if I liked the missions imagine how much more the Real Mode has to offer.
I took a look at the ship design available to me; i can make a carrier that has 2 pre-determined spots for guns, 1 turret in the front that can only shoot right & 1 turret in the back that can only shoot left, & if I dedicate 100% of the displacement to building the most efficient engine possible the best I can achieve is a passive -80% to movespeed & acceleration, and no matter what I do all 3 of the weight distribution stats are screaming at me in red. I barfed in my mouth & closed that as fast as I could. Gonna see if I can build a super-dreadnought absurd enough to sink the entire US Pacific fleet circa december 6th 1941 -- and in this game as in SS you know i will NOT, accept subpar targeting computers; every salvo will cross international timezones or by god the design goes in the trash

PS, the worst part? im only 70% of the way thru. You guys ever get this, becoming completely enraptured by a game's silly little side mode & have 0% interest in the main/campaign mode? Do you think Alex should at some point add another, like, 60 more missions to the roster?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then