Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76]

Author Topic: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.6  (Read 301174 times)

(Secondlt2)

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.6
« Reply #1125 on: June 15, 2024, 04:54:06 AM »

Heyy, I just wanted to say the mod has been absolutely fantastic. Its turned Starsector into a version that I've been really wanting to experience from similar games for a long time now, apart from the Three Dimensional Targetting, I'd give this a 10/10.

There is an issue however involving the game crashing every time the user wants to switch ships mid-battle. Is this going to be a part of the mod moving forward or are there plans to hopefully remedy the issue in the future?

If it can't be fixed, I was thinking the switch ships option be disabled instead (to prevent forgetful captains like myself from accidentally losing hours of progress)

AHandyDandyHotDog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 15, 2024, 04:11:02 PM »

Some weapons and systems don't seem to work correctly, with flares only shooting one projectile or the locust SRM only shooting like 4 rockets per huge reload.

Maximus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 16, 2024, 04:06:35 PM »

Hey, great mod, just wanted to ask if anybody has found a fix for the invincible ships because of Arma Armatura ? Didn't read the compatibility notes and I don't want to abandon my game  :P

Skittles11

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 18, 2024, 03:28:29 AM »

I really enjoy this mod. I’ve been playing with it for a couple of weeks now. Even though I have some issues with it, I can’t see myself turning it off. I tweaked it a little to my liking and want to offer some feedback:

1.Evasion and Jinking: This mechanic is not fun and feels strange for people who are used to playing vanilla. The most obvious change I can think of here would be to have a chance-based hit system for projectiles. Depending on muzzle velocity, target size, and acceleration, projectiles would have a “hit chance”, either flying above or under the target, similar to how some weapons and missiles fly over friendly ships. I assume something like this would be difficult to implement since I have not seen this in any mod. Alternatively, maybe the three-dimensional targeting shouldn’t apply to the player character. I can definitely see the player character as the type of person that can pull off insane shots. It could also be a hullmod/skill.

2.Muzzle Velocity: Muzzle Velocity is too high, especially for chemical weapons. A projectile from, say, a Vulcan PD passes multiple Onslaught lengths in a second, which are about 800 meters long, IIRC. It’s somewhere in the ballpark of 5000 meters/s upwards of muzzle velocity if not higher. Modern-day CWIS have a muzzle velocity of around 1000+m/s (in the atmosphere, of course). Vulcan and machine guns are low-tech weapons in service by the domain for a long time. They are probably more advanced than modern-day weapons, yes, but anything over 3000ms is unreasonable even in a vacuum, while rail and coilgun projectiles might even be too slow (I don’t know).

3.The Armor System: The armor system is wonky. This is especially noticeable with torpedoes and missiles. Sometimes an Apogee takes 3 Atropos torpedoes, sometimes 10. I assume that this has something to do with the angle of impact. In theory, I like the idea of angling my ships for better armor effect but, at least for me, it didn’t really translate into fun gameplay. I feel like the armor system needs to be toned down and armor degradation needs to be brought back in some way. I have an Onslaught kitted out with every armor mod and it’s basically invincible with the default mod settings.

4.Fighters and Small Weapons: Fighters are in a weird place, as to be expected from a mod that wants to bring more realism to the game. Due to the increased weapon ranges, they act more like turrets flying around the carrier most of the time. Due to their high acceleration and small size, they also aren’t really fired upon by PD weapons until very close. This feels odd, as you would expect your PDs as a last line of defense to saturate the general direction of incoming fighters with everything they got. I’m not really versed with Starfarer modding but maybe there’s a parameter for tracking/turret rotation that could be used in the calculation to determine weapon range. Something similar could maybe be done with fire rate/amount of projectiles fired, improving range/accuracy against a target subtracted by its velocity change. Small weapon fire seems to be useless against armored ships, which makes sense if they are heavily armored, but I would expect fighters and light weapons to have at least some effect on their target. Maybe there could be a chance-based system where small caliber fire, from fighters or PDs etc., inflicts effects instead of dealing damage: chance to increase targets flux, chance to deal minor damage, chance to deal EMP damage to weapons etc., to simulate fighters going for the lightly armored superstructure and systems mounted on the outside hull.

5.Balancing: I love this mod, as I said, I don’t want to play without it, despite the things it does """wrong""" in my subjective opinion. I feel like the mod could go well with some additional balance changes from the vanilla game: lasers melt armor at extreme accuracy -> get countered by shields, Shields get countered by ballistic weapons -> ballistic weapons can be disabled by accurate weapons/fighters (CIWS/ maybe missiles/rail/coil guns etc.) Missiles have long range and good tracking, get countered by PD, torpedoes are slow and have very low range, requiring fighters/bombers to effectively use but deal devastating damage. i feel like time to kill is generaly too long and it feels like there are some options that are just better in any way than others, a fully armored Onslaught for instance.
I could also imagine a "target track" value which increases the longer you keep an enemy targeted multiplied by turret rotation/weapon type/muzzle velocity for each weapon and gets reset once you un-target or the enemy does something unexpected like the wolf frigates skimmer ablity or active flares or whatever.

TheWildcat77

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 20, 2024, 06:54:37 PM »

Hi! I love this mod!
One thing bothers me though, the fact i can't shoot projectile weapons if i'm aiming outside the lead circle or have no targets selected, is there/can you add a option where i can just shoot whenever i want with projectile weapons, same as you can do with laser weapons

(Secondlt2)

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 20, 2024, 11:04:37 PM »

You can fix that by turning off "ThreeDimensionalTargetting" in '/data/toggles.json'

Sominar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: Today at 08:22:15 AM »

It'd seem like the mod just moves the balance of power further towards high armor capital spam. Ships that have less armor than the pen value of most capital guns just instantly die due to higher range and projectile velocity added to lower acceleration of ships making it harder to dodge them while capitals can afford to stay even longer in a brawl if they have higher armor than commonly fielded ballistic and energy weapons, only torpedos can reliably take them down which are counterable with PDs, which you can get a critical mass of due to having a range increase for the fleet ships to cover each other. Tried out this suspicion with a Legio bounty with me fielding purely capitals and beat it with very few losses because all the ships that had less armor than capital guns were made rendered obsolete and died on approach leaving only a few capitals alive to be beat up.

MadMalou

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: Today at 09:35:45 AM »

Hi don't know if you know but it dosen't seems like anybody told ,I found a bug with the mod Musashi Manufactorum after some investigation dosn't look like it's the "mmmilitarytargetingcore.java" or the 2 other (even after disableing them the game crash).
Quite simple when engaging in a battle (even just in simulation) with one of the ship mods the game simply crash , and her the Error responsible from the logs.

Spoiler
174265 [Thread-2] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Index 12 out of bounds for length 7
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Index 12 out of bounds for length 7
   at com.fs.starfarer.E.ooOO.B.<init>(Unknown Source) ~[port_obf.jar:?]
   at com.fs.starfarer.E.ooOO.int.o00000(Unknown Source) ~[port_obf.jar:?]
   at com.fs.starfarer.E.ooOO.int.new(Unknown Source) ~[port_obf.jar:?]
   at com.fs.starfarer.E.ooOO.Object.advanceImpl(Unknown Source) ~[port_obf.jar:?]
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.thissuper.advance(Unknown Source) ~[port_obf.jar:?]
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.o000.advanceImpl(Unknown Source) ~[port_obf.jar:?]
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.thissuper.advance(Unknown Source) ~[port_obf.jar:?]
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source) ~[port_obf.jar:?]
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source) ~[port.common_obf.jar:?]
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source) ~[port_obf.jar:?]
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.super(Unknown Source) ~[port_obf.jar:?]
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source) ~[port_obf.jar:?]
   at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1575) [?:?]
[close]

For me it's look like it's related too Musashi manufactorum mods since disableing the mod or using other ships even if the mod is active no other similar crash happens but i don't know what in the mod cause it, I'm not good at reading code and it could something else you never know, especialy me x) .
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76]