Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Author Topic: Good starter/novice ; QoL mods for inexperienced player  (Read 433 times)

SmoothBrained

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Good starter/novice ; QoL mods for inexperienced player
« on: January 21, 2024, 06:26:35 PM »

So I was reminded I owned this and I never put much time into it but know the power of mods in games like this!

However i've never put more than maybe 2-3 hours into the game and upon tossing in a handful of mods that looked good (Nexerelin, Realistic Combat and Industrial Evolution) I found myself /abit/ overwhelmed. So a question to more experienced people is there a solid list of "must haves" or "If you're new maybe dont use this" suggestions.   :)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Good starter/novice ; QoL mods for inexperienced player
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 07:46:30 PM »

Mods I'd recommend:
Interstellar Imperium, Ship and Weapon Pack, Starship Legends, Underworld, Secrets of the Frontier, Officer Extension, Persean Chronicles, Legacy of Arkgneisis, Console Commands, LunaLib

Mods I'd recommend, but that a beginner might want to avoid:
Nexerelin*, LOST_SECTOR, Random Assortment of Things, Symbiotic Void Creatures
 - all of these are neat, but LOST_SECTOR and Symbiotic Void Creatures adds some notably more-dangerous stuff (that can be hard to avoid), and similarly Nex adds invasions that are... not really beginner-friendly. RATs goes in this list because - well, as per its name, it's a collection of stuff the mod dev thought was neat; take a look, and if it looks interesting then sure, toss it in, but it won't really be helping you with that being a bit overwhelmed thing.
* Nex does get the footnote, though, that if you combo it with LunaLib (or manual configuration file editing), you can turn invasions (and bombardments) off, and then it's pretty strictly positive even for a newer player.

Mods you mentioned that I'd explicitly suggest a new player should avoid:
Realistic Combat.
 - Because radically changing base game assumptions on how combat works isn't a great plan if you're still at a point where you might want to ask people for help.

Edit: And I suppose I should also mention the category of "Mods that I made", which are currently Planetary Shield: Access Control and Mirror. Neither really makes the list for "you should really be playing with this"; they're both more of a 'season to taste' kindof thing. Use 'em if you want 'em, don't if you don't.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 07:57:17 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

SmoothBrained

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Good starter/novice ; QoL mods for inexperienced player
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 08:05:00 PM »

Mods I'd recommend:
Interstellar Imperium, Ship and Weapon Pack, Starship Legends, Underworld, Secrets of the Frontier, Officer Extension, Persean Chronicles, Legacy of Arkgneisis, Console Commands, LunaLib

Mods I'd recommend, but that a beginner might want to avoid:
Nexerelin*, LOST_SECTOR, Random Assortment of Things, Symbiotic Void Creatures
 - all of these are neat, but LOST_SECTOR and Symbiotic Void Creatures adds some notably more-dangerous stuff (that can be hard to avoid), and similarly Nex adds invasions that are... not really beginner-friendly. RATs goes in this list because - well, as per its name, it's a collection of stuff the mod dev thought was neat; take a look, and if it looks interesting then sure, toss it in, but it won't really be helping you with that being a bit overwhelmed thing.
* Nex does get the footnote, though, that if you combo it with LunaLib (or manual configuration file editing), you can turn invasions (and bombardments) off, and then it's pretty strictly positive even for a newer player.

Mods you mentioned that I'd explicitly suggest a new player should avoid:
Realistic Combat.
 - Because radically changing base game assumptions on how combat works isn't a great plan if you're still at a point where you might want to ask people for help.

Edit: And I suppose I should also mention the category of "Mods that I made", which are currently Planetary Shield: Access Control and Mirror. Neither really makes the list for "you should really be playing with this"; they're both more of a 'season to taste' kindof thing. Use 'em if you want 'em, don't if you don't.

hey thanks! Yeah the realistic combat..I thought it was neat reading it but messing around abit def feels like something I shouldn't be poking with atm. Seems more pain that pleasure with that one..

But i'll def give the suggestions a look  ;D