Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Galatia System feels uninteresting for its campaign role  (Read 885 times)

Candlebury

• Ensign
    • View Profile
The Galatia System feels uninteresting for its campaign role
« on: February 26, 2023, 09:13:38 PM »

You visit it repeatedly on the course of the campaign and most of the time it feels like you are the only captain to ever actually do so, the system is mostly desolate ever after you clear the tutorial. Probably a function of the small system markets combined an awkward placement of the jump points that incentivize direct jumps to and from Pontus.

Some suggestions
  • Revise the geography of the system. Arkadia is a similarly shaped system that I feel is much better due to having the jump point and comm relay in the L4 and L5 points of Syrinx, which I feel makes the traffic much more visible.
  • Make Galatia Academy generate independent fleets.  The docking fluff and story makes it clear the space around it keeps relatively busy, but I don't think any fleets actually visit the academy at all during normal gameplay. Some rare visitors in orbit would probably help a lot.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: The Galatia System feels uninteresting for its campaign role
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 11:10:29 PM »

Galatia Academy being a small market would work, and makes sense given that it's supposed to be one of the research centers in the sector (or at least the only one we see, and they DID manage to disrupt the hyperspace jump points!).

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 11:25:07 PM »

hmm, then the academy can be impacted by colony factors though, convoys, pirate activity, stability etc.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 03:03:48 AM »

It doesn't technically need to be a market to generate fleets.

Zsar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 05:51:34 AM »

I think making the academy a full market is very reasonable. With all the departments we hear of during the filler missions, it is probably a full fledged size 4 (thousands of people) - and those people have to eat something. This would also neatly fix the issue that, until the main quest continues, the academy is completely dead, as at the current end point not even the player is left interacting with it.

... Myself, I have yet to see a pre-placed market decivilise, so I do not think it would be problematic in a vanilla or close-to-vanilla setup.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 09:00:20 AM »

• Make Galatia Academy generate independent fleets.  The docking fluff and story makes it clear the space around it keeps relatively busy, but I don't think any fleets actually visit the academy at all during normal gameplay. Some rare visitors in orbit would probably help a lot.

This didn't make it into the list, but will actually be a thing in the next release, for much the same reasons :)

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 11:23:05 AM »

I don't know about the fleets, but it surely needs a souvenir shop.
I want a Baird plushy sitting on the helm of my flagship, looking at me with disappointed eyes.
Its all the encouragement I need to become the better space tyrant version of myself.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Zr0Potential

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 01:22:03 AM »

This didn't make it into the list, but will actually be a thing in the next release, for much the same reasons :)

Mercenary, Survey and Exploration fleets roaming around taking contracts from the Academy would make the system livelier imo