Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Balistic PD - whole machingun production line is overpriced  (Read 639 times)

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
Balistic PD - whole machingun production line is overpriced
« on: February 25, 2023, 07:28:37 AM »

Lets compare machinegun production line to Vulcan and Flack production line
In the fallowing text I only suggest change OP, not performance of the weapon.

Light machine cost 3OP - it does almost nothing.  3 of these cost  9OP  and can handle less than one Vulcan for 4OP. And you need 3 slots.
Suggestion: I like Mining laser in new patch for 1OP, I believe  ballistic weapons need OP weapon  too. Light  mg >> 1OP

Dual machinegun cost 5OP - it does much less than Vulcan but cost more.
Suggestion: Dual mg >> 3OP

Heavy Machine Gun  cost 10OP- it does much less than Flack for 8OP. It is the most overpriced  weapon in the PD section.
Suggestion: Heavy Machine Gun >> 6OP
-----------------------
I think Flack is too cheap for his performance so make it 9 OP would be better
----------------------
Result would be spread all weapon evenly AND somewhat OP related to battle performance:
italic are cheaper
bold are more expensive
1   OP Light mg
3   OP Dual mg
4   OP Vulcan
6   OP Heavy mg
9   OP Flack
12 OP Dual Flack

In case ballistic PD should be anemic  by  design, then rise up Vulcan,Flack and Dual Flack to get performance/price somewhat in line. So it would look like this:
3    OP Light mg
5    OP Dual mg
7    OP Vulcan
9   OP Heavy mg
11  OP Flack
13  OP Dual Flack
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 07:47:29 AM by gG_pilot »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Balistic PD - whole machingun production line is overpriced
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 07:46:23 AM »

Basic LMG is cheap.  I am okay with it as is.

Vulcan is fine where it is at.  Even though it is good for small PD, it may still need IPDAI to be reliable enough against some missiles.

The only one I am dissatified with is DLMG.  It seems too expensive for a paltry increase over the basic LMG, and I almost never use it for PD.  It is only useful for max DPS in an assault role.  At least basic LMG is cheap.  Probably needs more DPS or cost 4 OP or... something.

Heavy Machine Gun is powerful with buffs.  With IPDAI, it tracks well enough to be reliable PD.  With ePD (and other range buffs), it has almost enough range to match Arbalest and function like an assault weapon, but with much better efficiency.  HMG is more of an assault/PD hybrid, kind of like Devastator but kinetic instead of HE.

Single Flak fires too slowly to be worth more than it is.  If flak misses, the missile will probably hit before flak gets another shot.  If missiles come in waves, some will get through between flak shots.

Double flak is fine where it is.  It is good for PD and not much else.  Nice when IPDAI is not an option.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 08:28:54 AM »

MGs are not really PD weapons, they are safety overrides weapons with a bit of PD utility.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 01:25:52 PM »

That's one way to nerf safety overrides. I don't think vulcans or flaks should be any more expensive. They're fine.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 03:38:57 PM »

The only thing I can get behind is cheaper LMG and LDMGs. LMG should be 2 OP and LDMG should be 3. They are both inferior to the Vulcan for PD and only Frigates are using LMGs as primary anti-shield weapons.

The alternative, which I wonder why it isn't this way anyway, is why the small machine guns don't have 400-ish range. An extra 50 range over the Vulcan is trivial but an additional 150? Then you could keep them at their current prices because they're closer to actual Kinetics than poor PD. They'd be somewhere in the middle.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 05:04:01 PM »

I think the machine guns are accurately priced right now - as others have pointed out they are more than just (somewhat crap) PD. The DLMG is also in a good place at 5: if they were 4, that would be a direct scaling of 3 in terms of DPS, while adding more utility per mount and also an increased effectiveness as PD (as they don't have the firing gap). Paying a 1 OP premium for that is worth it imo.