Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The good, the bad and the useless - Warthog  (Read 4240 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The good, the bad and the useless - Warthog
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2023, 02:27:31 PM »

Fair points. My test bed was definitely at a much smaller scale so the ability of Warthogs to “clog” even Dominators (which typically have good PD) went unnoticed.
Both of these approaches have the issue of assuming the fighters are exactly where they are needed, which is harder for slower, half range Warthogs.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The good, the bad and the useless - Warthog
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2023, 03:05:49 PM »

My test bed was definitely at a much smaller scale so the ability of Warthogs to “clog” even Dominators (which typically have good PD) went unnoticed.
Seems less "clog" and more "barely interact with." The PD won't do anything to stop Light Mortar shots, and with 600 range the Warthogs might not be in PD range themselves very often - and with their armor, they're pretty resistant to what hits they do take. Like, an individual Warthog has all the armor and a full half the health of a Vigilance, with only 10s base replacement time.

This is one of the things I've been really looking forward to with the upcoming energy missiles - if you're using missiles as your dedicated armor breakers, the fact that most ships with really high armor also have really good close-in PD is something of a problem. Warthogs are actually a decent answer against that kind of target.

Call it one more vote for "low-tech" style end game fights.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]