Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 337484 times)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #600 on: September 08, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »

Starfarer could even do "the Fable thing" and have a skill increase the more you use it. Trade often? Industry skill goes up. Fight constantly? Combat skill goes up, and so on.

stonehand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 08, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »

sounds really really good like the soft lvl cap idea  ;D

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 08, 2012, 03:37:19 PM »

I hope that experience/equivalent isn't just gained from combat, that would reduce the range of viable playstyles quite a bit. Things like profitable trade runs providing some non-material goodies would be nice
I agree. If I want to own a shipping company, I don't want to engage in battles so I can level up and stay alive, I want to trade and manage. Offering support for a wide variety of playstyles adds replayability. I've already created dozens of characters because I enjoy the early game and deciding what kind of fleet I want to have. Giving people more ways to achieve their objectives makes them want to start over again so that they can try something new.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 08, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »

I hope that experience/equivalent isn't just gained from combat, that would reduce the range of viable playstyles quite a bit. Things like profitable trade runs providing some non-material goodies would be nice
I agree. If I want to own a shipping company, I don't want to engage in battles so I can level up and stay alive

Though that would be rather amusing to see

"Hmm, my corporate value's still a little low, and money isn't coming in as quick as I'd like.
BLOOD AND THUNDER, YOU MANGY GITS!"

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #604 on: September 08, 2012, 04:02:08 PM »

Interesting stuff. Personally I'm hoping for a soft-cap. I don't like hard-caps.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 08, 2012, 06:45:49 PM »

I just have two questions for now-

• Could a character without any points invested in anything be able to do everything (just less efficiently), or will skills and attributes unlock the ability to do certain things?
• How might officers affect things?

EDIT: Bonus questions-

• Will different npcs react differently based on where you allocate your attributes and skill points? (your reputation precedes you sorta thing)
• Will investment in attributes/skills provide some crossover effects in the other fields? (ie. combat skills providing an intimidation factor that improves your ability to sell or buy at a more favorable price)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:52:46 PM by naufrago »

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 08, 2012, 07:09:38 PM »

Interesting stuff. Personally I'm hoping for a soft-cap. I don't like hard-caps.

I'm of the same opinion re: caps.

Also quite interested in the extent of how player-moddable the entire skills framework will be.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 08, 2012, 07:39:37 PM »

Hey Alex, do enemy admirals also have skills?

In theory, yes. Not sure whether they will or not by next release, but I'm implementing this in a way that makes it apply to both player- and computer-controlled fleets.

One big thing that was left out (perhaps intentionally) was HOW one progresses. Do we gain experience along side our crew, or is there a special way to gain character experience. A mixture?

We'll see. In the next release, most likely alongside the crew.

• Could a character without any points invested in anything be able to do everything (just less efficiently), or will skills and attributes unlock the ability to do certain things?

• Will different npcs react differently based on where you allocate your attributes and skill points? (your reputation precedes you sorta thing)
• Will investment in attributes/skills provide some crossover effects in the other fields? (ie. combat skills providing an intimidation factor that improves your ability to sell or buy at a more favorable price)

1) Well, most of the hull mods will be unlocks. I'd say the player will be able to do most/all things at a base level, though.
2, 3, & 4) Too early to really dive into, though I have some more specific ideas for 2).

I'm of the same opinion re: caps.

That makes 3 of us :) Although, for me, "soft cap" just means "for all intents and purposes, a hard cap at +X levels" - where X isn't all that high.

Also quite interested in the extent of how player-moddable the entire skills framework will be.

Right around the same level as hullmods are now. So, you wouldn't be able, to, say, create skill trees with it - but you could add new skills (likely aptitudes, too), adjust XP/what's gained per level, etc. The player character will have a set of mutable stats in the same way ships have mutable stats now. So I'd say the framework itself won't be very moddable - but that'd require new UI elements and such to work right, anyway. On the other hand, all the skills are being implemented in the same way a mod would do it - nothing hardcoded.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 08, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »

1) Well, most of the hull mods will be unlocks. I'd say the player will be able to do most/all things at a base level, though.
2, 3, & 4) Too early to really dive into, though I have some more specific ideas for 2).

Well, I'm content with that answer. Question 1 was the one I was most interested in, anyway. Wasn't really expecting much, if anything, from the other questions. =p

Interesting choice will the hull mods. Makes sense, but I'll have to see how that works out in practice. As long as I can get hardened shields, stabilized shields, integrated targeting unit, and resistant flux conduits (maybe expanded magazines, too) and still have points leftover for more fun things, I'll probably be happy. =)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 08, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »

Interesting choice will the hull mods. Makes sense, but I'll have to see how that works out in practice. As long as I can get hardened shields, stabilized shields, integrated targeting unit, and resistant flux conduits (maybe expanded magazines, too) and still have points leftover for more fun things, I'll probably be happy. =)

I suppose the goal would be to have those more fun things be just as important (in some way) as the hull mods - its not much choice if every player feels that they 'must' take x ranks in a skill just to have the powerful hull mods.

@Alex: Have you settled on whether hullmods will be one time unlocks or will improve with greater ranks?

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 09, 2012, 12:29:55 AM »

That makes 3 of us :) Although, for me, "soft cap" just means "for all intents and purposes, a hard cap at +X levels" - where X isn't all that high.

im somewhat concerned that, in making 2 affinities and 10 skills the hard-soft cap you'll make whatever's just before that a little too hard to reach... 

I'm hoping this has mod support tbh, it has the potential to just make everyone happy with whatever number you choose then.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 09, 2012, 12:45:22 AM »

I like it. Akhm, Alex i think you should give us your dev version to test it for you. We would, thoroughly  ::)  Right guys/girls?
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 09, 2012, 01:50:02 AM »

dev version pls

The coming update looks to be a pretty spectacular one. I wonder how mod support will tie into this... :)

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 09, 2012, 01:56:27 AM »

How about a mixed cap? Major progression elements stop at level X (so the player can never max out every skill), but minor progression elements continue indefinitely, with diminishing returns, so that the player always feels like he/she is grower stronger even in a marathon of a game.

In an old turn-based RPG, that might mean getting no new skills or perks past, say, level 30, but still getting a little HP each level and perhaps the occasional extra action point. Not sure what the Starfarer equivalent would be!

Assuming the player can never get all the skills and aptitudes (which I, for one, am in favor of) will it be possible to re-spec them?

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 09, 2012, 05:47:45 AM »

dev version pls
Alex i think you should give us your dev version to test it for you. We would, thoroughly  ::)  Right guys/girls?

I'm assuming those are jokes. Two reasons this won't happen:

A) It isn't easy to send off new versions of the game to people. It's best to wait until there is enough meaningful content before you start to send it off to the masses.

B) The system is still being tweaked. I imagine it would be like playing a game of football where some kid makes rule changes constantly as the game is in progress. Not fun. Besides, I'm sure Alex can test it fine by himself. He hasn't managed to completely *** up the game yet, and the balancing has been relatively solid so far.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50