Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which game difficulty do you play now mostly?

Easy
- 6 (7.9%)
Normal
- 58 (76.3%)
Easy, Iron mode
- 0 (0%)
Normal, Iron mode
- 7 (9.2%)
Starfarer
- 5 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Survey: Your preferable game difficulty  (Read 2926 times)

bob888w

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Survey: Your preferable game difficulty
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 11:08:48 AM »

I play Ironman starfarer, I don't like the galactic stipend, but I don't like losing saves

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 01:19:56 PM »

These days I play two ways:

Ironman Spacer start
or
Devmode/Console commands/Mission Hacking and skip right to the point I'm interested in (usually to satisfy my curiosity)

On the other hand, I've got dozens of completed play throughs under my belt and have a reasonably good understanding of most of the mechanics in the game. For new players, I have no problem recommending the Easy difficulty setting though.

So if I'm hankering for some kind of specific end game fight, I'll just jump right to it via Console Commands. If I'm looking for a playthrough, I go ironman to test my overall play skills.  And I'll push right to the edge.  Sometimes I go a bit far and fall off, but then I get to try starting frigates again but with a level 12 character or what not.  Which can play very differently from a level 1 character in starting frigates.  Since I mostly view the campaign as a serial mission generator, and I enjoy both early and late game fights, I don't view losing a fleet as lost time, but an opportunity to play in a different way.  Depending on what you like doing, end game isn't necessarily any more fun than early game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 03:15:31 PM »

More like... plot armor 2 ;)
story points are plot armor 1
Story points may have been intended as plot armor or affect special plot events, but in execution, they are just money mostly good to fuel upgrades for ships/officers/colonies.  Credits are yellow money and story points are green money.

That said, it is funny when player uses story point to effectively download sword-fu into his avatar's brain when the special fighting game event reveals itself.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 03:19:18 PM by Megas »

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 11:04:53 PM »

Story points may have been intended as plot armor or affect special plot events, but in execution, they are just money mostly good to fuel upgrades for ships/officers/colonies.  Credits are yellow money and story points are green money.
Yeah, to be honest I would prefer the built in hullmod option never existed. The other "Green money upgrades" are fine by me.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Kinsume

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 12:02:38 AM »

Yeah, to be honest I would prefer the built in hullmod option never existed. The other "Green money upgrades" are fine by me.

If by other green money upgrades, you mean re-training an officer's personality or making their skills elite, then why would making a ship's frame elite be out of line? Personally I like the feature, it allows for additional experimentation with ship builds.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2023, 07:14:32 AM »

The upgrades I would consider grinding for (in a final release) are multiple colony upgrades for several colonies.  They dwarf everything else with 2^n costs.

I would have preferred some upgrades to be based on credits instead of story points.  Credits are more common (later) and if it used credits, then credit-based upgrades would not drown out story-worthy events in the historian's history tag.

I do not mind s-mods because most ships without them have too little OP to get more than the bare minimum to be functional.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 07:20:29 AM by Megas »

Nick9

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2023, 09:21:32 AM »

but in execution, they are just money mostly good to fuel upgrades for ships/officers/colonies.

Ikr? Still, some ships are have S-Mods, that kiiinda makes them "unique". So if I spend a story point to make an upgrade, I make my ship... kiiiinda unique. And I can give it a name. And the whole galaxy shall know it and its power to make destruction!!! So it's a story. So it was a story point. Same with the colony upgrades, I just have a veery good knowledge about this Heavy Industry complex so I upgraded it, I learnt the secrets of producing ships at excellent rate... :P still the lore points. You can't convince me otherwise. This is the way I see the game.

TravelGuy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Last Minute City Breaks
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2023, 04:29:40 AM »

I'm still a noob at the game. Easy all the way...  ;D

Nick9

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2023, 11:31:21 AM »

I'm still a noob at the game. Easy all the way...  ;D

Finally!! Broooo!!!!!!  ;D ;D

Insolent Peon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2023, 02:58:22 PM »

Too often have I looked at an enemy fleet, wondered if I could take it, and went the YOLO route to ever think Ironman would be good for my sanity.

memeextremist

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2023, 06:40:12 PM »

normal mode. I've tried iron a few times, but got rolled by surprise hostiles too many times. one day I'll get there kek

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2023, 09:56:58 AM »

Nowadays I just use console to playtest builds. I don't even play the campaign. Waiting for 0.96 to spice things up.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.
Pages: 1 [2]