Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The once per file super rare bounty punishes players for leveling contacts early  (Read 706 times)

Neurodrive

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Pretty simple issue: if you level up contacts without your fleet being fully endgame, it is possible to get the one-off REDACTED bounty before you can do it, and it will never appear again. I was experimenting with commissioning from the start of the game and just fighting the whole time, and while this was a very fun way to level up, I got the one-off bounty before I even had 200dp of ships, and now I just never get to try it on this file. Kind of a miss.

I assume it would be pretty easy to make it able to respawn if you refuse it when you see it. Given that this is basically the capstone encounter of the game as far as I can tell, being robbed of the final boss by luck feels pretty awful.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It should be offered repeatedly until you complete it. Dismissing or failing doesn't prevent it from being offered again, which is in fact exploitable to farm it infinitely (sadly, fixed for 0.96).

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yeah I agree that it should respawn if you miss it. But how were you able to beat all of the previous bounties then? If I'm not mistaken you get offered that bounty only after you complete some of the also hard ones.

Spoiler
There's a triple Guardian fleet bounty somewhere along, and I'm sure there's something else a player wouldn't be able to fight without a strong fleet.
[close]
Please don't take me too seriously.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I don't think there are any prerequisite bounties at all, it's just random and based on contact importance and reputation with you.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I don't think there are any prerequisite bounties at all, it's just random and based on contact importance and reputation with you.
Correct, but to increase the reputation you'd have to do a fair share of the bounties.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Neurodrive

• Ensign
    • View Profile

My experience on this file was approximately as follows:

As soon as I had a couple combat ships, I commissioned and started running bar bounties to look for contacts, then started leveling them with their challenging options, got one with a conquest and not much else, used that to slingshot my fleet power, then approximately the 5th-7th bounty I was offered from a contact was the REDACTED one. In order to reach this point the hardest fleet I'd had to kill was one with a handful of Atlas 2 (which I was mass farming to try a hilarious cheese that ended up being really bad against remnants). So I was sitting there with like, 5 Atlas 2 I didn't have decent guns for, an Astral I bought from my commission, a Conquest and a Dominator. This was more than enough to sweep through the bottom of the "strong" fleets, but not really up to snuff for the real fleets in the game where they start to go over officer cap, much less the hilarious 20 alpha fleets. According to the information I've seen the bounty showing means it's just gone now, and after doing a couple dozen more bounties I am inclined to believe this.

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile

the super duper rare fleet will come back around eventually if you don't accept it, ngl I find it kinda annoying because it keeps on popping up when I want to fight reasonable bounties.

Yeah I agree that it should respawn if you miss it. But how were you able to beat all of the previous bounties then? If I'm not mistaken you get offered that bounty only after you complete some of the also hard ones.

Spoiler
There's a triple Guardian fleet bounty somewhere along, and I'm sure there's something else a player wouldn't be able to fight without a strong fleet.
[close]

fun fact - this isn't unique at all; because the guardian is the derelict faction's only capital it'll spawn in most (all?) of their fleets that call for a capital.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

It should show up again, yeah. It doesn't go away until you've completed it.

In the next release, it would go away once you've *accepted* it - so, if you failed, you wouldn't get another go at it. I've just changed it so that it doesn't have a time limit, so that there's more flexibility to complete it at your own pace if it turns out to be too tough to crack when you first accept it.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

It should show up again, yeah. It doesn't go away until you've completed it.

In the next release, it would go away once you've *accepted* it - so, if you failed, you wouldn't get another go at it. I've just changed it so that it doesn't have a time limit, so that there's more flexibility to complete it at your own pace if it turns out to be too tough to crack when you first accept it.
I think there should be a warning then to indicate this. That way someone doesn't miss out at the chance later on
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Neurodrive

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Good looking out, I saw some conflicting information from other players, presumably who were just wrong or on a previous version of the game.

I totally understand there's tension in how much information the player gets about exactly how the game works under the hood, because the mystery is part of what makes the game work.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Correct, but to increase the reputation you'd have to do a fair share of the bounties.

Contracts offer other things besides bounties. It’s quite possible to level up a military contract to max without ever shooting someone for them

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Contracts offer other things besides bounties.
Especially those with extra types like Arroyo (Military and Trade).  The few times I wanted to fight Derelicts to pick up Ramparts or the Omega bounty, Arroyo was who I used because he is guaranteed (High level) on the way to Alpha Site and gate travel.