Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Down on their luck spacers should not be potential contacts  (Read 1093 times)

libbmaster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Down on their luck spacers should not be potential contacts
« on: February 05, 2023, 07:45:15 PM »

So I went to buy a ship from a hard drinking spacer in a bar... and when I did, she popped up as a potential contact.

I don't think it's a bug - I'm assuming any bar interaction can lead to a potential contact -but this specific instance seems weird to me, since the whole point of the spacer selling you their ship is because they're no longer in business?

Just nitpicking I guess, but I'd be curious to hear what others think.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Down on their luck spacers should not be potential contacts
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 08:36:58 PM »

I dunno, they are "very low" in importance so will be offering smaller jobs. My head-canon is that they used the money that you gave them for the ship to set up a little trading business or something.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 04:59:53 AM »

I dunno, they are "very low" in importance so will be offering smaller jobs. My head-canon is that they used the money that you gave them for the ship to set up a little trading business or something.

That would fit:
If you don't get them as a contact, they just waste all the money you payed on booze and that's the end of the story.
But if you get them as contact, they somehow managed to fix their things and establish a new business, may it be a legal or illegal one. Plus they have some working experience with the ship they sold you and aren't fresh from school.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 07:03:21 AM »

This bar mission always spawns a patrol fleet chasing you, and the contact is always underworld-affiliated, not pure trade. I think the implication is that the ship is either stolen, or gets sold because it was used for smuggling and the authorities are looking for it. The sob story is likely lies.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 08:59:49 AM »

I think the implication is that the ship is either stolen, or gets sold because it was used for smuggling and the authorities are looking for it. The sob story is likely lies.
I think stolen would get you more than just searched, so it's probably that the contact is a mule who's gotten enough attention they can't effectively smuggle anymore - or simply doesn't have enough resources to replace their ship with one that isn't on a watch list.

The "token" cost you pay for that beater is still a massive amount of dosh for someone not trying to operate a fleet, after all; 6k credits is what, ~$6million? Not enough for a new ship, but more than enough to start a business that doesn't require the kind of capital investment a merchant vessel does.

The sob story doesn't have to be completely manufactured, is what I'm getting at.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 09:16:55 AM »

You could also imagine that down on luck spacers don't necessarily have a business at the start, but they merely spot a business opportunity and notify you about it, since you kept in touch (that's what a contact is, innit?) and you helped them once. Going bankrupt doesn't necessarily rid you of your acquaintances and skills. And, well. Very low importance.

CorvusSquatter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 01:34:20 AM »

I'd go a bit further on this particular bar mission and say that when generating the ship with d-mods, since it's a trading ship... Don't give it "compromised storage", "degraded drive field" or "erratic fuel injector". I've never been so down on my luck that I've ever chosen to buy the ship, so I didn't even know that the mission had a bit more depth to it, since logistics d-mods are a deal-breaker for me even if all I have to my name is a shuttle... With a shuttle I can at least smuggle some weapons or drugs and get back on my feet. With the junkers these guys are selling, I don't think even scrapping them for parts is worth it.

TravelGuy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Last Minute City Breaks
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 04:27:46 AM »

I've never really minded getting them as a contact previously.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 04:11:38 PM »

I thought the implication is that the spacer is getting rid of the ship to get rid of reminders of some sort of tragedy and still is in buisness.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 04:16:06 PM »

Ever since I learned that buying their ship alerts patrols, I treated such spacers as radioactive and to avoid at all costs.  One of the many schmuck baits in the bar.  To add insult to injury, their ships are pieces of junk.

Base commanders are a better source of (pristine and military-grade) ships in the bar.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 04:20:19 PM by Megas »

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 03:16:13 AM »

Ever since I learned that buying their ship alerts patrols, I treated such spacers as radioactive and to avoid at all costs.  One of the many schmuck baits in the bar.  To add insult to injury, their ships are pieces of junk.

Base commanders are a better source of (pristine and military-grade) ships in the bar.

Pirate spacers, maybe - due to their underworld contact status.

Independent spacers shouldn't cause that trigger though