Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: [0.97a] Volantian Reclamation Initiative 0.5.1 "Neon Genesis Volantian"  (Read 52762 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Volantian Reclamation Initiative v0.3.0b "AYNTAPGJ"
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2023, 06:26:01 PM »

You shouldn't use "rare_bp" for a faction's known ships because its purpose is to designate which ships get solo BP items. Maybe you could use the "merc" tag?

touchofvanilla

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2023, 12:53:56 PM »

You shouldn't use "rare_bp" for a faction's known ships because its purpose is to designate which ships get solo BP items. Maybe you could use the "merc" tag?

The "merc" tag sounds better- I have a rough idea of what those hulls are in vanilla, but not so much In the modiverse.
-Vanilla

Lappers

• Lieutenant
  • Professional vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2023, 02:31:10 PM »

The "merc" tag sounds better- I have a rough idea of what those hulls are in vanilla, but not so much In the modiverse.
I went in the faction file, set rare_bp frequency to 0, and replaced the "rare_bp" tag with "merc" in the shipsWhenImporting and knownShips sections, and after that they tend to field (and sell) what I typically see from other less-established factions that use a lot of hardware available to independents, including modded ones. More specifically I'm seeing things like the Peregrine (high-tech expansion I think), Badger (vayra's ship pack), a bunch of prv Starworks ships (which tend to appear very frequently in independent fleets by their nature), and several of the smaller Extratential Lanestate Union and Kyeltziv Technocracy hulls, to name a few.
I assume the "merc" tag gives them the same stuff you would see appearing in the random independent mercenary fleets, so I think it more or less goes with the feel you want to give the faction. Getting rid of the oversaturation of cruiser- and capital-class hulls means what they have usually has less d-mods overall, but the ships certainly don't appear in great condition generally.

I'm not sure how exactly the priorityShips section of the faction file affects anything, but presumably if you wanted a higher frequency of native Volantian hulls you could stick some of the smaller/less expensive ones there. I am still seeing an extremely small amount of native Volantian equipment in their shops, both in the case of ships and weapons, which personally makes playing the faction a little bit tedious and boring since in order to outfit ships I either have to get to a point where I can set up a colony or just wait eons to see stuff in markets (granted maybe I just have a skill issue in that I'm really bad at doing anything with vanilla weapons lmao). While they are scavengers, I think it might be fine to let them use a bit more of their own equipment since they seem to still be concentrated in native Volantian space, but I have no clue how much freedom you have to fine-tune that kind of thing.

You could also have more derelict Volantian ships (maybe also a weapon cache or two similar to DME) spawn on load the way you have those two that spawn in the Avery system, whether you just stick another couple in Avery or sprinkle them throughout a few of the neighboring systems. If you have some spawn in neighboring systems, it could also make sense to have some significant Remnant presence in those systems, given the Volantians' habit of rebuilding Remnant ships. This way, even if you don't want to change how frequently stuff appears in markets, there's a little bit more to the experience of playing VRI than just sitting around for tens of cycles waiting for stuff to appear in markets. Again, I have no idea what exactly the API gives you the freedom to do and to what extent, so just take these as loose suggestions.

Edit: Not sure if this is unintended, but the front right weapon mount on the Karambit is a medium mount, while the other three are small. Figured it's not intentional since it looks like the mount spot on the sprite is a small one (same size as the others that are all small, at least).

Edit 2: Also just noticed, it seems like the thing with the debris around Eminence not appearing may have also only happened because the mod was added mid-save in that run.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 09:28:53 PM by Lappers »

AppleMarineXX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2023, 06:07:55 PM »

I flew into the VRI system, fought a Station Battle alongside a VRI Orbital Station through the MoreMilitaryMissions mod, and when I left, I found the "Makeshift VRI Flux" hullmod applied to all my ships, even though I was already at max OP. I figured this was an aura that lingered when I stayed in the system, but upon leaving I still have the over-OP hullmod on my ships.

Is this normal?

Lappers

• Lieutenant
  • Professional vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2023, 06:43:57 PM »

I flew into the VRI system, fought a Station Battle alongside a VRI Orbital Station through the MoreMilitaryMissions mod, and when I left, I found the "Makeshift VRI Flux" hullmod applied to all my ships, even though I was already at max OP. I figured this was an aura that lingered when I stayed in the system, but upon leaving I still have the over-OP hullmod on my ships.

Is this normal?

I've been having this happen too. It seems like it applies the hullmod to any ship you deploy in combat, though I'm not sure what the conditions for it happening are. May just happen if there are ships in your fleet with the regular flux network hullmod, may happen if you have the makeshift network on one ship or something, not sure.

One other thing, the VolGen Branch Office and Aegis Artillery Network alpha core effects should probably be looked at. They're currently still the default "increase production by 1" effect, but those structures don't produce anything.

touchofvanilla

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2023, 01:25:53 PM »

Is this normal?

This is normal. The VRI automatically applies it to all ships that are deployed in battle alongside them, regardless of affiliation. This is to allow ships from the modiverse to integrate into the faction without me having to manually create mod checks and variants for them.

This can lead to ships going over the OP limit, but I don’t see this as that big of an issue, given that if you want to modify the ship in any way, you’ll have to remove it, and if you fight alongside the VRI regularly, it’s a helpful little boost.
-Vanilla

touchofvanilla

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2023, 03:02:46 PM »

One other thing, the VolGen Branch Office and Aegis Artillery Network alpha core effects should probably be looked at. They're currently still the default "increase production by 1" effect, but those structures don't produce anything.

Ooh, I missed that! Thanks!
-Vanilla

Lappers

• Lieutenant
  • Professional vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2023, 04:02:59 AM »

Oh, I've also been forgetting to mention that neither Blanche nor Milasha seem too eager to actually offer missions pretty much ever. I think at one point a save or two ago I had a few pop up from Milasha, but I've never seen any from Blanche.

I think I didn't bring that up before because I assumed it's something you'd be aware of, given that it's a fairly important core interaction, but since I seem to have developed a habit of finding and not-very-concisely reporting these little details I suppose I'll mention it just in case you did happen to overlook something there.

edit:
Spoiler
One thing I also didn't think to say about replacing the rare_bp tag with merc: I'm running the Extratential Lanestate Union mod, and for whatever reason the VRI decided for a good long time to spam the ever-living hell out of the standard low-tech variant of the Kaolinite battleship. No idea what's different about that ship in particular; probably just something to do with its tags, since there are a few ships from other mods that cost fewer credits and have more OP for the same class (dunno about their fleet points though).
I guess there isn't really much point in me mentioning this here since that's not your ship in the first place (lmao), but I guess it could be something to consider when you're thinking about what to do about the rare_bp tag and stuff; for example, I have no idea if they might just spam a different ship if XLU isn't installed. Either way, besides the Kaolinite spam everything looks perfectly reasonable using the merc tag. Really the only super weird thing was the time I saw a special task group with like seven of them, which just made me wonder why they wouldn't have instead used two or three Chromatics or something.

Again, not really anything for you to worry about trying to change on your end, but I've already written all this rambling so I'm gonna leave it here for the sake of...transparency or something.
[close]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 04:18:32 AM by Lappers »

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2023, 10:55:00 AM »

This means no offense, but are the bonuses from the sixth battlegroup supposed to be so similar to the 14th battlegroup? The main diffrence is 1% more flux capacity and 1% less manouverability. Not exactly enough to make a distinction between the decisive battle and steel wings doctrine.
It could probably use a rework. Maybe instead of armor, give fighter bonuses, or do a 180 on XIV design principles, giving a medium speed, manouver, and damage bonuses at the cost of some small ammount of armor and flux?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 11:02:33 AM by YourLocalMairaaboo »

Lappers

• Lieutenant
  • Professional vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2023, 12:54:29 PM »

This means no offense, but are the bonuses from the sixth battlegroup supposed to be so similar to the 14th battlegroup? The main diffrence is 1% more flux capacity and 1% less manouverability. Not exactly enough to make a distinction between the decisive battle and steel wings doctrine.
It could probably use a rework. Maybe instead of armor, give fighter bonuses, or do a 180 on XIV design principles, giving a medium speed, manouver, and damage bonuses at the cost of some small ammount of armor and flux?

I honestly had no clue which of the mods I recently started using had those Sixth Battlegroup ships...

Anyway, I agree. I like the sound of sacrificing a little bit of armor and maybe ship-mounted weapon damage or something else in exchange for buffing several aspects of fighters. That gives "Steel Wings" an identity; as it stands it doesn't really mean much of anything.
Also the Sixth Battlegroup hullmod description doesn't display stat values properly last I checked.
edit: Numbers are displaying properly now. Not sure why they broke that one time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 02:20:50 PM by Lappers »

Alyshan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2023, 01:07:24 AM »

Hi, the custom contact characters (aka. Blanche and Milasha) have no assigned contact type, which result of them not giving any missions.

Im not sure if its fixed in one of the hotfixes and im onlyh aving this bug, because it need a new game, but i though i mention it, since nobody seems to did that so far (and didnt seen it mentioned in the change log either).

edit: i fixed the problem for myself in the current game by save editing them into beeing a military and trader contact, now everything works as supposed to  ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 01:13:33 AM by Alyshan »

Lappers

• Lieutenant
  • Professional vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2023, 02:27:14 AM »

Hi, the custom contact characters (aka. Blanche and Milasha) have no assigned contact type, which result of them not giving any missions.

Im not sure if its fixed in one of the hotfixes and im onlyh aving this bug, because it need a new game, but i though i mention it, since nobody seems to did that so far (and didnt seen it mentioned in the change log either).

edit: i fixed the problem for myself in the current game by save editing them into beeing a military and trader contact, now everything works as supposed to  ;D

I was having this happen as well, thanks for mentioning the fix.

Also, a few days ago I did go in and fix the Trident railgun for myself. Currently no modifications of any kind apply to it because in the weapon file its type is listed as "HYBRID". The "type" line should only have "BALLISTIC", "ENERGY", or "MISSILE", so the game will actually apply modifications to it based on skills and hullmods and what-not. To give it a different mount you'd just add the line "mountTypeOverride" under that and, in this case, put "HYBRID there". This causes it to have a hybrid mount but still be considered a ballistic weapon. Note that I'm just assuming it'd be considered a ballistic weapon based on its description in game.

On the off-chance you missed it the first time I mentioned it...whenever it was that I mentioned it, I'll also say again that one of the Karambit's weapon mounts is medium when it looks like it should be small. The hull sprite uses the same small turret mount for all of them, but one of them is just a medium mount for some reason.

Alyshan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2023, 02:55:52 AM »

On the off-chance you missed it the first time I mentioned it...whenever it was that I mentioned it, I'll also say again that one of the Karambit's weapon mounts is medium when it looks like it should be small. The hull sprite uses the same small turret mount for all of them, but one of them is just a medium mount for some reason.

I took a quick look at it, and for me all 4 weapon slot is small... i also checked the files to see if there was some issue there, but thats also fine... maybe its fixed in a hotfix and the author jsut forgot to mention it... Just download the mod again and clear the current one out of the mod folder and the problem should fix itself... or go to the data/hulls folder, find the Karambit's file and edit it with a notepad or whatever you have as a home-made fix

Lappers

• Lieutenant
  • Professional vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2023, 02:58:23 AM »

Ah ok, thanks for checking.

Lappers

• Lieutenant
  • Professional vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2023, 03:53:50 AM »

So I'm running into this phenomenon where fighting VRI special task groups that have 8 Kaolinite battleships in them all with the makeshift flux network hullmod is literal hell because the makeshift flux network doesn't impose the same FP-based penalty that the integral flux network hullmod on actual VRI ships does. Kaolinites are stupid cheap to deploy so they can have 3 or 4 of those plus a couple ships of smaller sizes on the field at the same time, and I'm honestly scared to see what the flux network efficiency buff would be for them.

Maybe this is a skill issue, lack of raw damage output, and/or symptom of trying to use ScalarTech ships against anything with flux capacity without a sea of torpedo bombers, but even so I would suggest thinking about whether it's the best idea to not give the makeshift flux network the same drawbacks (or proportionally lesser drawbacks at least) as the standard integral one.

edit: Figured I should clarify, I'm just suggesting you take a look at implementing the max CR penalty to the makeshift flux network hullmod the same way it works on the integral one. Obviously you shouldn't worry about balancing your mod around other people's ships too much.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 12:32:46 PM by Lappers »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6