Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Security Codes event aftermath bug  (Read 544 times)

libbmaster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Security Codes event aftermath bug
« on: February 02, 2023, 04:23:08 PM »

When interdicted by a fleet seeking revenge on you for using stolen security codes in a raid, if the player is NOT HOSTILE to the faction that owns the fleet (and, presumably, the faction you raided), defending yourself from the attacking fleet will result in the faction becoming hostile.

This is confusing to me - there's many other instances where "special" fleets (i.e., spawned via script as a result of player actions/side missions) - don't count as "official" representatives of their faction, and you can thus fight them at a reduced reputation penalty.

In the event this IS the desired state for this specific interaction, I'd like to suggest it be changed - but I doubt that's the case, given the above.

To reproduce:
  • Purchase stolen security codes in a bar, for a faction you are NOT HOSTILE TO
  • Use the security codes in a raid against that faction WITHOUT MAKING THEM HOSTILE
  • Fly around the sector until the retaliation fleet catches you
  • Attempt to engage the fleet, and note the warning message about attacking a non-hostile faction

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Security Codes event aftermath bug
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 08:37:10 PM »

This is confusing to me - there's many other instances where "special" fleets (i.e., spawned via script as a result of player actions/side missions) - don't count as "official" representatives of their faction, and you can thus fight them at a reduced reputation penalty.

In the event this IS the desired state for this specific interaction, I'd like to suggest it be changed - but I doubt that's the case, given the above.
If Alex moved this to suggestion then this is the desired state... this seems really weird since are you supposed to flee from them then? Guess if your fleet is too big you can't escape anyway.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 09:11:02 PM »

Didn't get a chance to answer earlier, but, this just depends on the type of fleet it is and where it is. Since this encounter is in the core worlds and with an official patrol of that faction, not some kind of mercenary, I think it makes sense for the standard rules to apply.

As to what you can do - maneuver to disengage, not get intercepted in the first place, not have the transponder on, possibly retreat (if the fleet is small and fast enough, etc). There are some options.

libbmaster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 07:38:51 PM »

Didn't get a chance to answer earlier, but, this just depends on the type of fleet it is and where it is. Since this encounter is in the core worlds and with an official patrol of that faction, not some kind of mercenary, I think it makes sense for the standard rules to apply.

As to what you can do - maneuver to disengage, not get intercepted in the first place, not have the transponder on, possibly retreat (if the fleet is small and fast enough, etc). There are some options.

I see! Sorry for the misunderstanding - I agree with the logic here.