Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 319073 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1305 on: June 01, 2023, 03:28:32 AM »

Frigates are a lot faster than next size class and have unique skill interactions that emphasize them (mostly Coordinated Maneuvers, to lesser degree elite Cybernetic Implants). And are just better at taking capturable points due to speed.

Destroyers are only slightly faster than next size class (on average, it's really on ship by ship basis). For smart player this small speed advantage is enough to pilot a destroyer safely (though even then, there is little reason to - there are many far more impactful ships for player to pilot). AI-piloted destroyers just fail at cardinal rule of "outrun what you can't outgun".

I wouldn't be against some super-destroyer as player reward behind a quest chain. Or something like Blackrock Desdinova as reasonably common ship (pretty much inverse of Falcon: cruiser firepower and DP cost at DE size class + high speed, but so finicky only player can pilot it competently).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 03:32:15 AM by TaLaR »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: June 01, 2023, 05:11:14 AM »

I wouldn't be against some super-destroyer as player reward behind a quest chain. Or something like Blackrock Desdinova as reasonably common ship (pretty much inverse of Falcon: cruiser firepower and DP cost at DE size class + high speed, but so finicky only player can pilot it competently).
That would be nice as a blueprint no one else has and enable the player faction to be a bit more distinct.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: June 01, 2023, 06:08:02 AM »

Medusa is already a bit of a super-destroyer in player hands, especially if you put omega weapons on it.

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 01, 2023, 06:11:59 AM »

Last version, Medusa seemed like a worse Hyperion for less DP. Which is kind of kooky when the latter is the frigate. Haven't played a single High Tech ship this version though.
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 01, 2023, 10:16:18 AM »

Medusa is fast and strongly benefits from player piloting, but it just doesn't hit hard enough to justify player piloting. You'll impact the fight much more with one of faster cruisers or capitals.

It's also rare. so you'll very likely find a Falcon(P) to pilot long before a Medusa. Since Medusa is 9 speed you have strong drawbacks from including one into early mostly frigate fleet, unlike Falcon(P).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 01, 2023, 04:31:46 PM »

Medusa is not super like it was during early 0.6a.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 01, 2023, 05:54:14 PM »

Hyperion is a frigate...
It is an example of an elite ship for it's size where it hits more like a cruiser than a frigate. I didn't pick an elite destroyer because there aren't any really, Harbinger used to kinda be one but it got nerfed and medusa is not quite there. A elite destroyer would probably need to hit like a battlecruiser to be a destroyer version of a Hyperion.

Medusa is already a bit of a super-destroyer in player hands, especially if you put omega weapons on it.
While I would pick a Hyperion over basically any destroyer, I would not pick a Medusa over quite a few cruisers. Champion, Eradicator and Aurora are all significantly better.
A lot of ships are better with omega weapons.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 01, 2023, 06:10:16 PM »

Medusa is fast and strongly benefits from player piloting, but it just doesn't hit hard enough to justify player piloting. You'll impact the fight much more with one of faster cruisers or capitals.

It's also rare. so you'll very likely find a Falcon(P) to pilot long before a Medusa. Since Medusa is 9 speed you have strong drawbacks from including one into early mostly frigate fleet, unlike Falcon(P).

I'll note Medusa seem a lot more common to me now, given they've been added to the Independents roster, in addition to Tri-tach's.  I think I've run across my first Medusa for sale fairly early on in a number of runs.  Just doing a check with 3 quickly started game and Stellar Networks, there's typically 4-7 Medusa for sale somewhere at the beginning of the game.  Falcon (P) seems to number between 8 and 12.  I'd say it's only about half as common as the Falcon (P).  So something like 1/3 chance you'll find a Medusa before a Falcon (P).

It is an example of an elite ship for it's size where it hits more like a cruiser than a frigate. I didn't pick an elite destroyer because there aren't any really, Harbinger used to kinda be one but it got nerfed and medusa is not quite there. A elite destroyer would probably need to hit like a battlecruiser to be a destroyer version of a Hyperion.

It would also need to be costed like a battlecruiser, given a Hyperion is costed like a Falcon or Venture.

Although, Medusa literally hits about as hard as a Hyperion, so cruiser tier by that metric, given it havs identical maximum flux stat lines, and similar 2 medium energy plus one medium universal vs 2 small universal and 3 forward small energies.  System Expertise NPC officers can make it move pretty well.

I do think the Extended Shields s-mod helps them a fair bit, along with the extra 5 OP.  360 shield Medusa are possible now, but perhaps not optimal due to phase skimmer dropping shields.  In AI hands, they seem to stand up to 0.96 late game Ordos better than most frigates (although perhaps not Hyperions).  I've been trying to make use of some aggressive SO Glimmers but they just drop really fast.  Scarabs which used to do OK end game seem to also pop rather quickly for me.  All those Brilliants switching to Plasma Burn (and losing the fighter wings), and the introduction of Novas, means Ordo hunting is harder for frigates, while making it easier for missile ships (since there are fewer PD fighters, no smart flares, and Novas are glass cannons).

PizzaInSpace

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 02, 2023, 06:59:36 AM »

it'd be nice to get a few more destroyers
1000 times this, it would be reaally nice to have more choice in the destroyer department with + 1-2 per doctrine and maybe an outlier with a different design or something, especially more combat destroyers as opposed to utility or carrier ones would be nice, and to a lesser degree I'd like 1-3 more cruisers...

Without redacted and stuff we have like what, 7 or so base variants of combat destroyers plus 2 carriers and some freighters, and sure, we do have variants like LP or XIV or pirate which is awesome but I'd really like to have more new base variants. Moar please. ^^ Oh damn I feel like I am being sort of a nuisance with my request...

Come to think of if we don't have a MISSILE destroyer yet, it would be nice to have one as such plus it would be nice to also have a support destroyer too. not like a point defense destroyer but a destroyer that can provide a short ranged anti ECM area of influence but has very few defensive measures. It would be a nice Idea to expand on the more economic side like adding science vessels or seeing a cruiser sized salvage rig or even some ships that are civilian class.
Seeing a paragon with gigacannons and kinetic blasters scaring a radiant was very unexpected.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 02, 2023, 07:02:37 AM »

it'd be nice to get a few more destroyers
1000 times this, it would be reaally nice to have more choice in the destroyer department with + 1-2 per doctrine and maybe an outlier with a different design or something, especially more combat destroyers as opposed to utility or carrier ones would be nice, and to a lesser degree I'd like 1-3 more cruisers...

Without redacted and stuff we have like what, 7 or so base variants of combat destroyers plus 2 carriers and some freighters, and sure, we do have variants like LP or XIV or pirate which is awesome but I'd really like to have more new base variants. Moar please. ^^ Oh damn I feel like I am being sort of a nuisance with my request...

Come to think of if we don't have a MISSILE destroyer yet, it would be nice to have one as such plus it would be nice to also have a support destroyer too. not like a point defense destroyer but a destroyer that can provide a short ranged anti ECM area of influence but has very few defensive measures. It would be a nice Idea to expand on the more economic side like adding science vessels or seeing a cruiser sized salvage rig or even some ships that are civilian class.
Manticore LP says hi.
Please don't take me too seriously.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 02, 2023, 08:34:29 AM »

I love how the game feel less and less like a sandbox and more like a living setting to which your character belong. I'm in the middle of a new run, re-playing the main quest (already finished a few side quests). A twist of luck really made for a great experience in my current situation in the main quest:
Gargoyle needed to be evacuated from the Tri-Tach station after the heist because the Hegemony is unhappy. Well, it happened both the Task force and the S-mod fleets jumped in on the Station in-system. I was thinking about fleeing, but a second after, Hegemony and Tri-Tachyon started a war. So I was able to defeat each fleet thanks to the help of the Tri-Tachyon station! In the end the local market was refusing any interaction with my fleet because of all the mess around. That was at the level of a good episode of Babylon 5, I could really picture Tri-Tachyon trying to legally block the inspection from the Hegemony, with the task force answering something like "well, like it or not we are coming", and Tri-Tachyon replying "So be it", then the war started...

Marco_Paulo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 02, 2023, 11:51:53 AM »

Found two things that might not be intentional.

- Should trade fleets try to attack stations? A smuggler saw Thulean Raider Base and decided to move to attack it. In any case, it didn't appear to be under attack already, and it had a few fleets guarding it, so the smuggler definitely wasn't in a position to win.

- Should pirate fleets spawn into the player's system when hostile activity is at zero? I didn't see them entering through any jump points, but I might have missed it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 03, 2023, 11:37:44 AM »

Question:  Do the (non-merc) Independents use the Wolf in their fleets?  If not, it looks like an oversight (or is the Wolf really too low-powered for the Indies to bother using).

I noticed that the Independents use nearly every sub-capital military ship that are not blatant faction specialties (like XIV ships), but I also noticed that Wolf is one of the few non-capital ships that do not have an independent related tag (merc does not count).

Aside, now I can raid for nearly every ship that is not a capital at New Maxios, instead of at a much tougher market to get blueprints that were formerly TT or League exclusives.  Unfortunately, Indies no longer own Doom (which is probably equivalent to a capital).  Indies also have Eradicator, but since Church still has defenses as bad as New Maxios, I raid that ship from Asher to be one less raid needed at New Maxios.  After all, -3 stability that takes nine months to clear up is a long wait before another raid.

Dadada

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 03, 2023, 12:19:32 PM »

Wait, do mercs still have the Doom?

SolarGalaxy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 03, 2023, 12:31:23 PM »

I noticed that the Sindrian Diktat now have two new special fleets that spawn using PersonalFleetScript.java.

I was wondering if Deputy Star Marshal Oxana Hyder should have a level higher than Level 1?

If I look into People.java, it looks like she does have 4 admiral skills, but otherwise she is lower level than her subordinate captains.

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler

[close]
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 99