Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 321610 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1125 on: May 17, 2023, 09:16:19 AM »

With so many important things about Pirates (like Hostile Activity) being influenced by Kanta, Pirates in 0.96a feel much more like a major faction monolith, one ruled by Kanta, than they used to be.

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: May 17, 2023, 10:34:53 AM »

I mostly ran breaches since those can have pretty good hitrate without boost, and get 38 triple shots from autoloader. After a few battles IMO it's better to just leave the mounts empty.

I use ammo-less missiles on Eagles as they are long lasting harassers in my fleet.
So Salamander MRM harassement  it is. I don't expect Eagles to kill enemies quickly (or at all), they are more barbecue style., while forcing the enemies to keep shields up.

Tarkets

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: May 17, 2023, 11:39:34 AM »

Has anyone done prince of persea recently? I get a consistent java freeze/crash if I win the duel, right after the event ends and I'm back on the planet screen. I'm on RC9, its the same save I've been using since .96 released so maybe some weirdness from dragging that save across versions

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: May 17, 2023, 12:05:45 PM »

Alex, if you want to look at the AI underestimating Tachyon Lances, you can just have a strong ship go against two Strike Radiants in the sim.

It certainly does not happen all the time but for example this Pegasus flickers its shields off occasionally even at low flux, which is just really silly, since it gets tach lanced instantly. I suppose it wants to dissipate flux marginally faster by dropping the shield and does not appreciate the danger.

Thank you! Yeah, that's a tough one to adjust for, because if you overtune for this specific case, you get the AI being even more hesitant to drop shields in other cases, to probably a greater overall detriment.

It's not like you have to always keep shield up against TLs, but you do have to time drops to TL cooldowns, which AI doesn't consider.

(Just to be clear, the AI is aware of weapon cooldowns for this sort of thing! At least, iirc; though (also iirc) it tends to err on the side of caution.)

And will it be save-compatible? RC9 breaks all of my saves (different mod setups each), even an old save from 0.95 that used to load in 0.96 all the way to RC8.

I can't speak to what might happen with mods, but it should be save-compatible with 0.96a saves. 0.95a and 0.95.1a saves are NOT compatible with any version of 0.96a, they will crash in a million different ways.

Has anyone done prince of persea recently? I get a consistent java freeze/crash if I win the duel, right after the event ends and I'm back on the planet screen. I'm on RC9, its the same save I've been using since .96 released so maybe some weirdness from dragging that save across versions

Ugh! I've seen reports of this before, but have not been able to reproduce it. Do you happen to have a save handy where I can take a look? It seems not to happen on my PC, but maybe we'll get lucky.

Also, I'd appreciate any details you have about what exactly you did, and what you mean freeze/crash. Also: is there an hs_err_pidXXXX.log file somewhere in the game folder (or in starsector-core/), with the timestamp corresponding to the crashes? If so, seeing the contents would be useful. If it's a hang (requiring you to manually kill the app) rather than a crash, though, that wouldn't be present.

Also, if you're comfortable enough with computer stuff to use jvisualvm to try to get a thread dump when it hangs - assuming it's a hang rather than a crash - that could be very helpful, too.

(fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com for the save, if you don't mind, of course!)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: May 17, 2023, 01:40:38 PM »

Anyone else feels like large missiles are a trap on Invictus? For everything else you get a huge benefit, and the total amount of OP is super small. So why spend precious OP on missiles when the whole purpose of the ship is pointing at another big thing and unleashing ballistic firepower, while at the same time having enough defensive hullmods so your weapons never stop firing and so you can vent in under 15 seconds.

Once I removed the missiles I never looked back.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Okawal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: May 17, 2023, 01:42:37 PM »

Hi Alex,

i know i shouldn't ask something like that but do you think that most gamebreaking or missionbreaking bugs are fixed?
Or with different words: if there is another hotfix planned will it contain more of those kind of fixes?

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: May 17, 2023, 01:49:35 PM »

Anyone else feels like large missiles are a trap on Invictus? For everything else you get a huge benefit, and the total amount of OP is super small. So why spend precious OP on missiles when the whole purpose of the ship is pointing at another big thing and unleashing ballistic firepower, while at the same time having enough defensive hullmods so your weapons never stop firing and so you can vent in under 15 seconds.

Downsizing for Salamanders helps a lot with that, otherwise non-trivial, pointing at another thing part.

Tarkets

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: May 17, 2023, 01:50:48 PM »

Little more detail: Basically the duel ends in a victory (the defeats have not prompted this but I've only lost it twice) and once the dialogue ends with Rao and we are back on the planet screen, the freeze happens when clicking any of the options (have not tested them all). It's actually a freeze not a crash, so I do have to close it out manually.

I just ran through it 5 times; 3 successes and 2 freezes. S point option is taken each time. Based off that sample it seems like if I start the game fresh the event completes without issue, but when I reload the save to run it again it will freeze after event completion. I'll try and send the save

Ugh! I've seen reports of this before, but have not been able to reproduce it. Do you happen to have a save handy where I can take a look? It seems not to happen on my PC, but maybe we'll get lucky.

Also, I'd appreciate any details you have about what exactly you did, and what you mean freeze/crash. Also: is there an hs_err_pidXXXX.log file somewhere in the game folder (or in starsector-core/), with the timestamp corresponding to the crashes? If so, seeing the contents would be useful. If it's a hang (requiring you to manually kill the app) rather than a crash, though, that wouldn't be present.

Also, if you're comfortable enough with computer stuff to use jvisualvm to try to get a thread dump when it hangs - assuming it's a hang rather than a crash - that could be very helpful, too.

(fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com for the save, if you don't mind, of course!)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: May 17, 2023, 01:52:17 PM »

Hi Alex,

i know i shouldn't ask something like that but do you think that most gamebreaking or missionbreaking bugs are fixed?
Or with different words: if there is another hotfix planned will it contain more of those kind of fixes?

There's another hotfix planned, definitely. The full list of bugs will be in the notes when it's found, but there's a few. E.G. there are situations where the Luddic Shrine on Hesperus becomes unvisitable, that sort of thing. Also some Pegasus changes :)

Little more detail: Basically the duel ends in a victory (the defeats have not prompted this but I've only lost it twice) and once the dialogue ends with Rao and we are back on the planet screen, the freeze happens when clicking any of the options (have not tested them all). It's actually a freeze not a crash, so I do have to close it out manually.

I just ran through it 5 times; 3 successes and 2 freezes. S point option is taken each time. Based off that sample it seems like if I start the game fresh the event completes without issue, but when I reload the save to run it again it will freeze after event completion. I'll try and send the save

Thank you for the details!

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: May 17, 2023, 01:57:54 PM »

I think part of the problem is they shut off when using the system. I was under the impression that only the ballistic turrets would shut off so I tried pairing a pure kinetic barrage with hurricanes, but it doesn't work at all. Personally, I'd like to see this restriction removed; the turrets can still shut off but please let me use the missiles while Lidar is active.
TL;DR deez nuts

Okawal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: May 17, 2023, 02:09:53 PM »

Hi Alex,

There's another hotfix planned, definitely. The full list of bugs will be in the notes when it's found, but there's a few. E.G. there are situations where the Luddic Shrine on Hesperus becomes unvisitable, that sort of thing. Also some Pegasus changes :)

thanks for the answer. I need to be more patient then before i start my first playthrough ;D

NaokiP

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: May 17, 2023, 04:13:17 PM »

Looks like RC9 doesn't like the save I've been playing on 0.96a, game is heavily modded to be fair but it was doing fine until this latest update.

Relevant log entries appear to be (including a few prior because I'm not sure if that Nex info print could be relevant):
Spoiler
Code
33711 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 2
33711 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 3
34284 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [DIRECTORY: D:\Fractal Softworks\Starsector 96a-RC9\starsector-core\..\mods\Nexerelin (data/config/exerelin/milestoneDefs.json)]
35325 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Error loading
35326 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  -
---- Debugging information ----
cause-exception     : com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CannotResolveClassException
cause-message       : com.fs.starfarer.loading.OOoO
class               : java.util.ArrayList
required-type       : java.util.ArrayList
converter-type      : com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter
line number         : 436116
class[1]            : java.util.LinkedHashMap
converter-type[1]   : com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.MapConverter
class[2]            : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.rules.Memory
converter-type[2]   : com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.ReflectionConverter
class[3]            : com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.missions.hub.BaseHubMission$VariableSet
class[4]            : com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.missions.CommodityProductionMission
class[5]            : com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.missions.PirateSystemBounty
class[6]            : com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.missions.hub.MissionFleetAutoDespawn
class[7]            : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleet
class[8]            : com.fs.util.container.repo.ObjectRepository
class[9]            : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.StarSystem
class[10]           : com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.procgen.Constellation
class[11]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignPlanet
class[12]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CircularOrbit
class[13]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.Market
class[14]           : com.fs.starfarer.rpg.Person
class[15]           : com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.OfficerManagerEvent$AvailableOfficer
class[16]           : com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.OfficerManagerEvent
class[17]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CommDirectoryEntry
class[18]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CommDirectory
class[19]           : java.util.HashMap
class[20]           : exerelin.campaign.ColonyManager
class[21]           : java.util.LinkedHashSet
class[22]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CircularOrbitPointDown
class[23]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CustomCampaignEntity
class[24]           : com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.FactionProduction
class[25]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.Faction
class[26]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.Submarket
class[27]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.reach.ReachEconomy
class[28]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.reach.ReachEconomyStepper
class[29]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.Economy
class[30]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.StarSystem$UpdateFromHyperspaceLocation
class[31]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseLocation$LocationToken
class[32]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.Hyperspace
class[33]           : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine
converter-type[3]   : com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.oooO
version             : not available
-------------------------------
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException:
[close]
It prints that twice and then goes on for a while regarding AbstractReflectionConverters and TreeUnmarshallers.

Any clues on how to fix it on my end, or does this look like something it'd be worth providing further info for? Thanks.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: May 17, 2023, 04:20:38 PM »

Oh, hmm - it looks like something is being put into the savefile that should not be. It's not clear whether this is a mod putting a reference that doesn't belong there, or if it's a vanilla issue. Would you mind sending me a copy of your save so I can take a quick look?

fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: May 17, 2023, 06:43:01 PM »

Thank you for the save, got it! Aha!

It looks like a mod is putting stuff into the save, in a MemoryAPI, under a key of "$ST_enabledCommodities". And what it's putting there is references to obfuscated core classes, which it should not do. Both because 1) it will cause problems like you've run into, or worse and 2) it's inefficient, basically putting some static data that doesn't change into this memory, instead of using a commodity id and retrieving the details at runtime. I'm not sure what mod is the culprit, but perhaps the $ST_ prefix rings a bell?

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: May 17, 2023, 08:35:19 PM »

Is it just me or did the Heron almost disappear? Haven't seen it outside mercenary fleets.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 99