Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 322177 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1110 on: May 16, 2023, 07:44:32 PM »

Thanks for the report! Not a bug, though perhaps in this specific case it would take a bit more creative thinking than usual to explain the RNG's decisions to put these there :)

Foraven

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 16, 2023, 08:04:11 PM »

But that's not what it was doing, it was just near the max range of my Sunder's beams. It was trying to drop flux alright, but it wasn't trying to rush forward. It just not registring it was still in range of the beams. That hammerhead was destroyed after a few pass without doing any real damage.

Hmm. Is there a simulator setup where this happens reasonably consistently that I might be able to take a look at?

Well, a Sunder armed with 2 IR Autolance, with both mods to increase range and the extended magazines. Either a Kinetic blaster or a heavy blaster as it's main weapon to cause enough flux damage the target ship retreat. Other weapons installed are two dual machineguns, a vulcan in the rear and two swarmer missiles. The choice target I had was the Hammerhead with dual heavy Mortars. I just let the AI fly the ships and the issue should happen once the Hammerhead retreat to drop it's flux.

I also managed to make it happen with graviton beams but it's rare.

HUcast

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 16, 2023, 08:11:55 PM »

I've been doing eagle gaming this patch since I've always liked the concept of the eagle but could never justify it in my fleets until now.

It really is a fascinating ship, with it's new mobility, shields, and armor all mixed in it's incredibly hard to pin down and kill. It can keep a unignorable pressure up on enemies perpetually to boot, though at first I had a very hard time chasing kills with it. Even with three heavy maulers it can't quite bite deep into near parity ships, but that's a fair balance for it's amazing support and durability I think.

That being said, I feel like Alex made missile auto loader just for this ship, really, if you look at the numbers it feels like cruisers with 2 small missiles are the real winners. Two reapers on the eagle gets you nearly 4 reloads of show stopping firepower in addition to it's pressure, making ships completely unable to ignore the eagle in any capacity. You also have options like atropos for several reliable barrages or gorgons to shoo phase ships and frigates.

On the kinetic blaster as well, the eagle is a very strong choice for it's use. With just gravitons and HE weaponry the eagle can struggle to build hard flux, and normally the KB is very inefficient if you look at the numbers, the upside? For a single energy medium slot it's hard flux build up can't be beat. With two gravitons firing in tandem to disrupt shields it will singlehandedly pound the hard flux up of any ship that dares approach it, all while it's HE ballistics and torpedos lie in wait to obliterate the foolish vessel that thought it could approach the long range support ship...

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: May 16, 2023, 08:16:29 PM »

To add to what Foraven is saying, I have definitely seen my ships not respecting beam range(specifically Tachyon Lance range) and getting hit needlessly; usually happens with the Tachyon version of the Radiant. At the very edge of the range sometimes the ships will just get clipped by a beam even though they were low on flux and it would've cost them nothing to get the shield up.

Sts678

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 16, 2023, 08:25:09 PM »

Thanks for the report! Not a bug, though perhaps in this specific case it would take a bit more creative thinking than usual to explain the RNG's decisions to put these there :)
I find another interesting thing. I do not learn the "Automated Ship" skill, but I can recover the automated XIV ships and then install AI cores into them. In addition, though these ships are captained by AI cores, they seem not to be considered when calculating the "automated ship points" and their CR is not affected by the limitation of the "Automated Ship" skill.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: May 16, 2023, 08:56:20 PM »

Well, a Sunder armed with 2 IR Autolance, with both mods to increase range and the extended magazines. Either a Kinetic blaster or a heavy blaster as it's main weapon to cause enough flux damage the target ship retreat. Other weapons installed are two dual machineguns, a vulcan in the rear and two swarmer missiles. The choice target I had was the Hammerhead with dual heavy Mortars. I just let the AI fly the ships and the issue should happen once the Hammerhead retreat to drop it's flux.

I also managed to make it happen with graviton beams but it's rare.

Thank you, I see it! What was happening is it was considering this amount of incoming damage insignificant, in part due to its fragmentation type, and not worth keeping shields up for (and thus reducing mobility/keeping hard flux/etc, in general) unless it lost some amount of hull. I've increased the threshold a bit so it shouldn't do that anymore. Edit: there *will* be cases where that sort of thing still happens, though; that's just the breaks. But this behavior does not keep up until a ship blows up - they get more careful about it as they lose hull.

(I doubt this would account for getting clipped with Tachyon Lances; I'll keep an eye out for that.)

I find another interesting thing. I do not learn the "Automated Ship" skill, but I can recover the automated XIV ships and then install AI cores into them. In addition, though these ships are captained by AI cores, they seem not to be considered when calculating the "automated ship points" and their CR is not affected by the limitation of the "Automated Ship" skill.

The  hullmod tooltip talks about this :)

I've been doing eagle gaming this patch since I've always liked the concept of the eagle but could never justify it in my fleets until now.

Hey, awesome, I'm glad to hear someone's enjoying it :)

Sts678

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: May 16, 2023, 09:17:24 PM »

Oh, I see. Very interesting.

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 16, 2023, 10:56:09 PM »

Monofilament Tow Cable has a UI bug that stretches throughout the screen.

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: May 16, 2023, 11:24:19 PM »

Alex, if you want to look at the AI underestimating Tachyon Lances, you can just have a strong ship go against two Strike Radiants in the sim.

It certainly does not happen all the time but for example this Pegasus flickers its shields off occasionally even at low flux, which is just really silly, since it gets tach lanced instantly. I suppose it wants to dissipate flux marginally faster by dropping the shield and does not appreciate the danger.

5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: May 16, 2023, 11:43:47 PM »

It's not like you have to always keep shield up against TLs, but you do have to time drops to TL cooldowns, which AI doesn't consider.

sajberhippien

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 17, 2023, 02:35:40 AM »

How is the Reload Cost for the Missile Autoloader calculated? Since it smoothly slots in modded missiles I assume that it's a set formula rather than a manual setting for each missile (at least as default) but I've been unable to figure out what that formula would be.

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 17, 2023, 03:37:32 AM »

How is the Reload Cost for the Missile Autoloader calculated? Since it smoothly slots in modded missiles I assume that it's a set formula rather than a manual setting for each missile (at least as default) but I've been unable to figure out what that formula would be.

It's a lookup table on the weapon's base OP cost:
1 OP -> 1 point
2-3 OP -> 2 points
4 OP -> 3 points
5-6 OP -> 4 points
7+ OP -> 6 points

Question Mark

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: May 17, 2023, 03:55:11 AM »

Any timeframe for Release Candidate 10?
And will it be save-compatible? RC9 breaks all of my saves (different mod setups each), even an old save from 0.95 that used to load in 0.96 all the way to RC8.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 17, 2023, 04:23:21 AM »

It's a lookup table on the weapon's base OP cost:
1 OP -> 1 point
2-3 OP -> 2 points
4 OP -> 3 points
5-6 OP -> 4 points
7+ OP -> 6 points
Breach/swarmer reload costs 2, Atropos 3, single Atropos 1.5 so should be something else.

It really is a fascinating ship, with it's new mobility, shields, and armor all mixed in it's incredibly hard to pin down and kill. It can keep a unignorable pressure up on enemies perpetually to boot, though at first I had a very hard time chasing kills with it. Even with three heavy maulers it can't quite bite deep into near parity ships, but that's a fair balance for it's amazing support and durability I think.
Spammed Eagles a lot in this update, damage output is on the low side but also like them a lot.

On the kinetic blaster as well, the eagle is a very strong choice for it's use. With just gravitons and HE weaponry the eagle can struggle to build hard flux, and normally the KB is very inefficient if you look at the numbers, the upside? For a single energy medium slot it's hard flux build up can't be beat. With two gravitons firing in tandem to disrupt shields it will singlehandedly pound the hard flux up of any ship that dares approach it, all while it's HE ballistics and torpedos lie in wait to obliterate the foolish vessel that thought it could approach the long range support ship...
Didn't have much luck with short range weapons on Eagle, they seem to do less and die a lot when given mining blasters.
Feels better to stay at range, heavy autocannon has relatively high DPS for the mount that Eagle has few of and is base 800 anyway.

If you are going close IMO kinetic blasters aren't worth it, just stick some HMGs in the frontal mounts.
Further ahead + can get ballistic mastery, much higher damage, very low cost, mining blaster/phase lance/assault chaingun for armor+hull.

That being said, I feel like Alex made missile auto loader just for this ship, really, if you look at the numbers it feels like cruisers with 2 small missiles are the real winners. Two reapers on the eagle gets you nearly 4 reloads of show stopping firepower in addition to it's pressure, making ships completely unable to ignore the eagle in any capacity. You also have options like atropos for several reliable barrages or gorgons to shoo phase ships and frigates.
Tried to make autoloader work for Eagle, but IMO it's basically useless.
You get 10 reapers total for 24 OP, already a complete *** deal.
15 OP ECCM or a skill for 10 reapers are both wasted, so best case the ship is firing pairs of slow, weak torpedos without the damage boost.
Often only 1 is fired, so hitrate is really, really bad (yet to see an Eagle land more than 2 shots in a battle, with <1 clean hull hit average).
I mostly ran breaches since those can have pretty good hitrate without boost, and get 38 triple shots from autoloader. After a few battles IMO it's better to just leave the mounts empty.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 04:25:36 AM by Draba »

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: May 17, 2023, 05:07:49 AM »

Breach/swarmer reload costs 2, Atropos 3, single Atropos 1.5 so should be something else.

Atropos are tagged with overrides and Breach/Swarmer are 3 OP -> 2 points. MissileAutoloader.java:226.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 99