Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 319236 times)

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #915 on: May 13, 2023, 04:02:20 PM »

I'll miss my 4 pilum LRM boat....it wasn't op at all with them , life is unfair.
Pilum flood is ded ;_;
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: May 13, 2023, 04:27:50 PM »

Oh, so a reversal on the Pegasus is not on the cards this patch?

Well, RIP Pegasus 2023-2023, you were too beautiful for this world  :'( you will live on in my sig I guess.

By the way Alex, despite griping about this change I still absolutely love what you've done with the game in .96, literally every part of it - Hostile Activity, the new stories (especially getting closer to Diktat and Luddics!) and the new ships. Very awesome. Just wanted to say that again. Even having the Pegasus around is still nice even though I think it won't be a particularly interesting ship anymore.
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: May 13, 2023, 04:36:17 PM »

Oh, so a reversal on the Pegasus is not on the cards this patch?

Well, RIP Pegasus 2023-2023, you were too beautiful for this world  :'( you will live on in my sig I guess.

Not for this 0.96a, but it's a definite possibility for .1!

By the way Alex, despite griping about this change I still absolutely love what you've done with the game in .96, literally every part of it - Hostile Activity, the new stories (especially getting closer to Diktat and Luddics!) and the new ships. Very awesome. Just wanted to say that again. Even having the Pegasus around is still nice even though I think it won't be a particularly interesting ship anymore.

Thank you! <3

Buggie

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 13, 2023, 04:37:12 PM »

One idea for Pegasus is a built-in hullmod to add +100% to medium missiles or a medium version of the Missile Autoloader.

This is such a fun idea, would certainly make fitting the ship a lot more interesting. I'd love if it increased the base number too so emr and missile spec would each give you 24 sabots so you'd have 72 on each slot, that would probably be even more broken than two large slots though XD.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: May 13, 2023, 05:59:46 PM »

Ships:
Pegasus: front-facing missile hardpoints are now medium instead of large
Executor is unaffected

NOOOOOOOOOO! ! !

EDIT: Fastest major nerf as far as I can retell.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 06:18:21 PM by Fenrir »
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Bummelei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: May 13, 2023, 06:20:45 PM »

0.96 update is great.
Especially new lore on Luddites, now they are much more than just space rednecks with hammers. The same goes to Sindriots. Love it.

But, pardon my French, the Pegasus changes are complete ass. It's just another Conquest. And as mentioned above, four large slots were an integral part of his identity. Increase in DP, system nerf (or even a complete replacement), everything is better than what was done. It's just sad. Alex, i hope you will change your mind.

By the way, isn't Dragonfire amount in mediums are just too low for what it does? Or is it just me? Like, 7 Reapers against 2 Dragonfire?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #921 on: May 13, 2023, 06:37:32 PM »

My idea for an alternative Pegasus shipsystem (under the 4 large design) would be launching decoy flares (the ones fighters have that distract PD) at the selected target.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: May 13, 2023, 06:42:45 PM »

My idea for an alternative Pegasus shipsystem (under the 4 large design) would be launching decoy flares (the ones fighters have that distract PD) at the selected target.

Hmm. It'd probably be too short-range but as-is but jeez, that could be fun.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: May 13, 2023, 06:45:43 PM »

Just do the hard but best option: make a new ship system. The Pegasus is the freakin midline battleship, its worth it, your dev time and resources won't be wasted on it.

Keep the 4 large missiles, like the other guy said its become iconic already. Pegasus needs to have them.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 13, 2023, 06:48:49 PM »

I spent *a while* trying to come up with an interesting missile-related ship system, let me tell you! IIRC none of the ideas made, falling either into the "hilariously overpowered" or "just a more complicated way to spell fast missile racks" categories, with a smattering of "how would the AI even"... Not to say that it's not possible, but it's tricky - though in all honesty, I don't remember many details now.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 13, 2023, 06:57:26 PM »

It doesn't need to be an amazing or even powerful system since 4 large missiles are already amazing.

Just spitballing, how about a system that enhances the allied ships around it in some way? Allied missiles?

Or something like Histidine said, a system that in some way disrupts or impairs point defense of enemy ships?

A system when used that "hacks" nearby enemy missiles and causes them to target the very enemies that fired them or something?

TheLaughingDead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 13, 2023, 06:59:12 PM »

I simply must beat a dead horse and toss my two cents in regarding the Pegasus: I personally find myself agreeing with those that insist on four missile mounts. However, I disagree with the idea of removing Fast Missile Racks. It seems to me like the ship's entire identity hinges on its overwhelming capability with missiles, so the large missile array and the ship system centered around boosting missiles are equally important to the identity of the ship. FMR isn't just a flat missile ammo buff, but is an active ability that must be built around and used with some thought, like not bringing low-ammo missiles since they'd all go way too quickly, bringing an officer with Systems Expertise, saving charges for dangerous targets, etc etc.
And beyond identity, as a player, playing with a missile boat is just a lot of fun. There is something incredibly satisfying about watching a chunk of your fleet's DP focus its firepower on a single target and watch it be reduced to ash, and capitals are supposed to be the epitome of that: concentrated force. DP focused without the herding of artificially intelligent cats  :-*

So here's what I say: change the Pegasus' other stats. Pull some different levers, unrelated to its identity. Make it squishy, slow, or otherwise anemic. Gut its non-missile weaponry. Give it no slots for PD. Make all of its large missiles face backward. Increase its DP to 60, or even make it a special one-off ship like the Zig and make it 80 (missiles are of comparable power and we lack unique ships like the Zig, after all). Really any or all of the above. If FMR and four large missiles is too much after all that, I think it would be testament to a larger issue at hand. After all, a player can pay 56 DP for four large missiles and FMR via the Venture (P), which is slow, somewhat squishy, lacking in other stats, etc. I have heard no qualms with the latter's balancing.

All those levers aside, if a more drastic change must be made, then I could see switching the ship system. I just think most ship systems to do with missile ammo would be pretty generic (like Gryphon's missile reload) or have too small an impact to really give the ship its own flair (compared to how important, say, Targeting Feed is to Heron efficacy).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 13, 2023, 07:03:48 PM »

By the way, isn't Dragonfire amount in mediums are just too low for what it does? Or is it just me? Like, 7 Reapers against 2 Dragonfire?
Yes.  Typhoon has enough shots (except for FMR ships like nu-Pegasus) that I do not always put Missile Racks (although I will like the hullmod to have an endurance option).  Also, Reapers are like an unguided mini-Sabot because they do enough hard flux damage to overload ships despite being HE.  Meawhile, Dragonfire is partially dodgeable during its burst, and the damage while not too bad, is not very high for the shots it has.

Overall, DEMs have been a disappointment once player stops fighting early-game pirates and starts fighting stronger enemies like major factions that have stronger defenses.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 13, 2023, 07:32:55 PM »

Clearly the way to go with the pegasus is to bring back the 4 large missiles and give it HEF like its brother ;D
TL;DR deez nuts

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 13, 2023, 07:42:47 PM »

Clearly the way to go with the pegasus is to bring back the 4 large missiles and give it HEF like its brother ;D
Would not mind a system to buff the non-missile weapons to bring them up to snuff for a while.

If it has to be about missiles, maybe have it launch missiles that are faster and more maneuverable like what ECCM does to missiles, but better.  Or maybe a system that hardens missiles so that they are nearly impossible to intercept.  Or maybe something silly like provide infinite ECM for a short while so that the enemy eats -10% weapon range no matter how high their ECM is (take that Ordos!).
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 99