Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 319129 times)

Rain

• Ensign
  • Burn bright!
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #795 on: May 10, 2023, 05:48:09 AM »

Some various little bits and bobs at the tail end of my first (modless save for portraits and aesthetics) campaign:

- DEMs are fun and have caused a few laughs. I don't yet quite know how good they are compared to equivalent missiles for the same OP/size/ammo counts, which at least suggests they're in the right ballpark, but I've found I tend to prefer Gazers to Sabots now. Dragonfires are cute but I think Reapers generally feel better and more impactful. Gorgons have caused a few harrowing near-misses and armour dents since I'm not yet used to how to move around them.
- The new capitals, while I find them aesthetically rather ugly, (personal taste and all that) seem to mostly do their thing well enough. The Pegasus especially has been neat to have around and the missile floods can be pretty nifty. I haven't had the others in-fleet yet, mostly because I find the Legion and Onslaught way too clunky and exploitable as is, but the fights I've had against the two low-tech ones have been interesting enough. The Lidar Array blinking on you is pretty unsettling, even if you can get out of its way quickly in my ever-trusty Fury.
- The Sindrian quests were... Very interesting. I couldn't help but feel far out of my depth, especially with the Big Insinuations in there. Nice. Is there perchance a next step somewhere in the "to do" documents? ;D
- The pilgrimage quest sadly broke on me this in a rather bewildering way so I haven't seen where that goes.
- The little extra dialogue options added in the main story quests were neat, especially
Spoiler
the conversation options with clone Loke.
[close]
But I also always really loved the chat with Cotton in general.
- I like the Fury and Eagle buffs, but I was always a Fury flying enthusiast and liked the idea of the Eagle already.
- The mining blaster change is nifty too, I've actually found some consistent uses for it now!
- The colony threat event I'm a little iffy about, mostly because it felt that until the step where you get the freebie -14 or whatever the only really effective way of keeping it down seemed to me to be to get a military base up really early since there were never enough fleets around to keep the number from steadily rising. My first colony was on a decivilized world, though, which definitely caused stability to be a bit lower which in turn might have pushed the event track along a lot more than it normally would have. Furthermore it didn't seem like friendly patrol fleets cleaning up pirates or Pathers gave the reduction which feels really weird.
- Are black holes supposed to not give hyperspace topography points, or is it maybe some kind of weird bug I've been having? Or have I just not gone close enough somehow? It feels to me like if gas giants and nebulas are then black holes should definitely be major topographical features worth checking up.
- Brilliants with Plasma Burn are very scary for their footprint in combat.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 10, 2023, 07:23:44 AM »

Found a pretty big bug: 
i completed the planet killer quest by giving it back to the pather, however it had no effects whatsoever. Maybe because the starting quest was a pather base that spawned?

(Thank you! Yep, fixed for the next hot/warm fix. Was just... applying the effect incorrectly.)

- Are black holes supposed to not give hyperspace topography points, or is it maybe some kind of weird bug I've been having? Or have I just not gone close enough somehow? It feels to me like if gas giants and nebulas are then black holes should definitely be major topographical features worth checking up.

You have to get closer! And then if you get *even closer*, you get even more points! Trust me! (But no, really)

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 10, 2023, 09:27:57 AM »

Wall of patch notes attacks!

CRIT!  9999 damage!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 10, 2023, 09:30:49 AM »

My first colony just grew to size 4, and I played with items to see what Pathers did to colonies.

Question:  Does removing items from colonies dissolve Pather cells anymore?  I removed items from the colony, waited about a week, and the cell is still there, as if waiting for me to put items back in, even though Pathers show no interest, while in previous releases the cell would dissolve.  If Pather cells never dissolve after forming, then colonies with a cell are stuck with a permanent -1 stability penalty, similar to Rogue AI Core.

Seems like if I want to avoid Pather cells, then I should never exceed +6 interest on a world ever.  So much for the Mining>Refinery>Orb.Works with forge on one world plan.

vladokapuh

• Commander
  • Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 10, 2023, 10:39:40 AM »

"can we pay you 6k to stay right here?
(yes, i am on gilead)
Cabbage

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 10, 2023, 10:49:25 AM »

"can we pay you 6k to stay right here?
(yes, i am on gilead)

Thank you for the report; this one is already fixed in-dev!

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 10, 2023, 10:51:56 AM »

One bug I noticed is the Revenant and Phantom both get the +2 burn from Bulk Transport despite not having the Civilian Grade mod.

So far as colonies go, I've found the simplest option is to spread them out. One Military Base will cover three colonies that I've rigged just for one industry to cover fleet costs.  All of them have one item.

It sounds to me like people are concentrating all their resources in one place when this system rewards a low profile.  I've had no real problems with constant  trade fleet losses, so this can continue until they're all size 4, and then I build my tower of Babel on some god-forsaken rock.

You should be establishing a farming colony on some 100 hazard world first thing.  You should NOT switch free port on unless you're ready for a fight.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 10, 2023, 10:57:11 AM »

One bug I noticed is the Revenant and Phantom both get the +2 burn from Bulk Transport despite not having the Civilian Grade mod.
This is not a bug; neither of those is a military (read: usable-in-combat) ship.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

CorvusSquatter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 10, 2023, 10:57:39 AM »

Not to be one of *those* people... But is there any timeline on when the next hotfix is dropping? There still seem to be a few bugs to quash until it reaches 0.95.1a-rc15 levels of polish.

Stop that heresy right away. :o That's not a bug, it's a feature. It's there since forever and honestly it's really useful. Removing it would make a revenant inferior to a colossus... And that's just not right...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 10, 2023, 11:44:05 AM »

Not to be one of *those* people... But is there any timeline on when the next hotfix is dropping? There still seem to be a few bugs to quash until it reaches 0.95.1a-rc15 levels of polish.

Fairly soon! (And yeah, the first week or two are always a bit shaky, plus the .1 releases are more polished anyway, with much of the .1 dev cycle being primarily concerned with polish!)

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 10, 2023, 12:09:02 PM »

Why would Rev and Phan have Civ-grade? The only thing that does is make them more visible. The *whole point* of phase in campaign is that they're invisible.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 10, 2023, 12:29:06 PM »

Why would Rev and Phan have Civ-grade?
They don't have Civ-Grade Hull. They do, on the other hand, have the [Civilian] tag, which matters for a bunch of skills, not just Bulk Transport.

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 10, 2023, 12:32:41 PM »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 10, 2023, 12:59:29 PM »

The Automated ships from the planet killer mission don't seem to contribute to your automated ships count. That doesn't seem intentional.

It is, actually, since the tech involved is different and they don't require the Automated Ships skill to use! But there's a bug where I think they get listed for automated points in the fleet screen.

vladokapuh

• Commander
  • Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 10, 2023, 01:00:45 PM »

The Automated ships from the planet killer mission don't seem to contribute to your automated ships count. That doesn't seem intentional.

It is, actually, since the tech involved is different and they don't require the Automated Ships skill to use! But there's a bug where I think they get listed for automated points in the fleet screen.

i think this could be indicated more clearly in their automated ship hullmod
Cabbage
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 99