Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 319098 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #270 on: February 07, 2023, 05:22:06 AM »

Cheers
Any chance for Makeshift Shield generator getting any buffs? Currently its in really bad shape.
>90 degree arc, 1.2 efficiency, it saps 20% of your speed, and its upkeep is half your flux. It's also massively overpriced.
The speed penalty and OP cost far exceed any gains.
And yes I get that its suppose to be weak but now its not really worth.

Tried to play around it on LP Cerberus yesterday. Unfortunately in it's current state this hullmod is just useless. Without it Cerberus was able to take down an Eagle, but with it it can't beat even a frigate, 4000 flux, 1.2 (less with HS hullmod), and 20% speed loss is just too much.

Also i think it would be fun to have an alternative in the form of a Damper Field.
The only ship where makeshift shields was decent on was Rampart (Derelict ship), but even then, Rampart all-in on armor still did better.

On human ships, makeshift shields seem to make them weaker and/or more vulnerable, not to mention make the ship more cowardly.  (Ships with shields and high-flux will cower, which hurts those with bad shot range or speed.)

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 07, 2023, 08:39:44 AM »

Cheers
Any chance for Makeshift Shield generator getting any buffs? Currently its in really bad shape.
>90 degree arc, 1.2 efficiency, it saps 20% of your speed, and its upkeep is half your flux. It's also massively overpriced.

Tried to play around it on LP Cerberus yesterday. Unfortunately in it's current state this hullmod is just useless. Without it Cerberus was able to take down an Eagle, but with it it can't beat even a frigate, 4000 flux, 1.2 (less with HS hullmod), and 20% speed loss is just too much.

Also i think it would be fun to have an alternative in the form of a Damper Field.
The only ship where makeshift shields was decent on was Rampart (Derelict ship), but even then, Rampart all-in on armor still did better.

On human ships, makeshift shields seem to make them weaker and/or more vulnerable, not to mention make the ship more cowardly.  (Ships with shields and high-flux will cower, which hurts those with bad shot range or speed.)
Exactly what I meant.
Ships without shield usually have poor flux anyway but at last they can shoot their guns all the time. With MSG they are useless. No OP, no flux, can't shoot guns because flux choke them.

Elshama

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 07, 2023, 11:03:24 AM »

Cheers

Exactly what I meant.
Ships without shield usually have poor flux anyway but at last they can shoot their guns all the time. With MSG they are useless. No OP, no flux, can't shoot guns because flux choke them.

Exactly that's why putting it on the Buffalo Mark II is a good idea! It's a missile boat that tends to be cowardly. And while it may not be the ship we want; I think we all know it's the ship that we deserve SMH

P.S. I have been playing on and off for a couple years but I haven't come across anything that raises your burn by one generally as a hull mod.iif it's in the game I sincerely apologize if not can we have it please please please please please!!

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 07, 2023, 11:17:40 AM »

I've thought about this for a bit... is the s-mod bonus going to be the same on every hull size? The ITU is only 4/8 on frigates and destroyers putting it under the "default" but for cruisers and caps it's 15/25. Do frigates and destroyers get an s-mod bonus while larger ships don't?

On a related note, the bonus for turret gyros looks cool, but 25% extra damage to frigates is a lot. It makes sense for capitals but if I can give that to say, a tempest or a scarab or a lasher or... basically any frigate with decent firepower then it's going to be an obvious pickup to help them blast through enemy frigates at the capture points.
Spoiler
[close]

On the other hand, with wolfpack tactics and target analysis they'll have 25/30/35/40% bonus damage which is aesthetically pleasing so maybe it's worth it.
TL;DR deez nuts

cotique

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 07, 2023, 11:35:02 AM »

Cheers
I just seen a Alex twitter message about fighters adopting tech colors of the carriers.
It disturbed me greatly and tbh I don't even really see a point in it.
Does it change fighters armament? Does it change  anything?
What even point it is?
Sure putting Xypons on some jury rigged old cargo ship may look out of place but its fine because it should be that way.
ITBH I don't mind this being a optional feature.
Please Alex make it optional.

It's only for support fighters, so there is logic to it. I would like it to be an option for all the fighters though.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 07, 2023, 11:49:32 AM »

I've thought about this for a bit... is the s-mod bonus going to be the same on every hull size? The ITU is only 4/8 on frigates and destroyers putting it under the "default" but for cruisers and caps it's 15/25. Do frigates and destroyers get an s-mod bonus while larger ships don't?
The difference is that Frigate might have 60 OP, so s-modding a 4 OP hullmod gives it "more" 7% OP, while a capital ship might have 360 OP, so s-modding a 25 hullmod gives it... also 7% OP more. Well, 6,67% vs 6,94%, but those are details.

Spacer Heater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 07, 2023, 11:55:57 AM »

On a related note, the bonus for turret gyros looks cool, but 25% extra damage to frigates is a lot.
It got changed kinda recently, the screenshot from twitter is outdated. I was hoping he'd forget and leave it in, sounded really fun. ;)
(What I've changed it to is +25% to missiles/fighters, and 5% per size class difference to anything smaller than the ship.)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 07, 2023, 12:04:31 PM »

Oh I hadn't seen the changed gyros bonus - I think thats really cool! It avoids the "put it on early game frigates" problem but is still a meaningful bonus. Thats a hullmod that, even though I'm a fan of it in general, I wouldn't normally put on a Falcon (energy mounts tend to have good turn stats/accuracy) but maybe I would to emphasize its 'punching down' role! I'm not sure, which is great sign for my own build diversity.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 07, 2023, 09:35:06 PM »

Exactly that's why putting it on the Buffalo Mark II is a good idea! It's a missile boat that tends to be cowardly.

Missile boats are NOT cowardly. They will happily dive into the front and then die instantly because they have no tank. This applies to Buffalo MkII, Gryphon, etc. As far as I know only carriers have distinct AI that actually keeps them safe.

Cruacious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 07, 2023, 10:57:03 PM »

I normally don't run a pure missile boat like a Gryphon unless I have a Timid or Cautious officer as I'm afraid of them over committing most of the time. It's really such an absolute pain to micro manage missile fleets when you choose to run them.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 08, 2023, 12:23:53 AM »

Reckless Gryphons! Fear the hammer spam!

Note: Thaago incorporated is not liable for destroyed Gryphons and lost fights. Advice is for entertainment purposes only.

Zr0Potential

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 08, 2023, 04:14:51 AM »

Very excited for that tech-matching support fighters skin, now we can have them blend in with the main ship

As someone else already mentioned, should Broadsword be reclassified as Midline and is there any chance we could get Hullmods in the Codex?

Elshama

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 08, 2023, 05:19:49 AM »

Exactly that's why putting it on the Buffalo Mark II is a good idea! It's a missile boat that tends to be cowardly.

Missile boats are NOT cowardly. They will happily dive into the front and then die instantly because they have no tank. This applies to Buffalo MkII, Gryphon, etc. As far as I know only carriers have distinct AI that actually keeps them safe.

Really? I thought if you only put point defense and long range missiles they would not close in. I don't use that many missile boats so I didn't notice. Besides the Gryphon the closest thing I got to a missile boat is my Conquest. SMH
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 05:22:04 AM by Elshama »

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 08, 2023, 07:55:33 AM »

Very excited for that tech-matching support fighters skin, now we can have them blend in with the main ship

As someone else already mentioned, should Broadsword be reclassified as Midline and is there any chance we could get Hullmods in the Codex?
I mean the broadsword looks pretty midline-y
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Cruacious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 08, 2023, 08:45:50 AM »

I always treated Broadsword as Mid Tech solely based off the color of the aircraft. It could go between Low and Mid tech, honestly.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 99