Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 322191 times)

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #225 on: February 05, 2023, 02:59:43 AM »

Make sure to enjoy your mining auroras while you can. Our beloved mining arrays will be hybrid weapons soon so you won't be able to do this anymore :-[
RIP Mining Aurora
[close]
why not?

Because those are Synergy slots, Mining Blasters and Lasers can't be put on the hardpoints anymore because they will be Hybrids, which can only be put on pure energy, pure ballistic, or other hybrid slots and 'not' synergy. They can still be put on the energy turret slots of the Aurora, however, and since there's two mediums...
Huh, i didn't know hybrid slots were incompatible to hybrid weapons. It was something that never came up during my runs.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 05, 2023, 03:32:32 AM »

I never found much use for the Fury in AI control though, it simply can't play it tactically the way a player can. Which is fine and all, not all ships and tactics are feasible to implement an AI capable of playing properly, just... The discrepancy between AI and player performance makes it kind of feelsbad to see the AI:s limitations so clearly. I'm not sure what stance you have on the notion of "this is mostly for the AI" vs "this is mostly for the player" types of ships respectively. To me the Fury feels solidly in the latter camp, either way.
I'm with you, half of the high tech roster are player ships which are inferior AI ships. I'm fine with something being "not perfect" when given to AI, and if a ship is truly balanced around the player, then that balance should be compared to other player ships. But it still has to be DP efficient enough to warrant AI use even though you could do much more with it yourself. Take Medusa for example, a player can be a serious threat with it you'd be surprised it's only 12 DP. When you give it to AI, it's noticeably less powerful, but you'll still look at the number and go "eh this is fine". Such balance should be the ideal sweet spot.

In a Fury I just feel exactly how a 20 DP ship performs (contrary to other player ships), while AI performance is of a Fury MkII.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 05, 2023, 04:29:12 AM »

Oh no! BRB rolling back changes.

the obivous solution here is mining laser pd DEMs!
only mostly joking here, pd DEMs have been rattling around in my brain as an idea since they were announced

CMDShepfart

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 05, 2023, 04:41:01 AM »

Hey everyone,

Excuse me - I'm new here. Is there a way to play 0.96a game version? Or do I need to wait for a release?

Cheers

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 05, 2023, 04:58:11 AM »

Hey everyone,

Excuse me - I'm new here. Is there a way to play 0.96a game version? Or do I need to wait for a release?

Cheers

It's still in development lad. If there's an actual build ready Alex will usually have a download link at the top of the post.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 05, 2023, 04:59:56 AM »

With basic Legion, if I do not care much about fighters, then Onslaught can replace it.  Onslaught has similar design, without the fighters but better guns and stats.  For Legion XIV, the only thing that sort of substitute for it is two Champions.  Legion XIV, it can use any large missile it wants effectively, while many ships with a large missile are not friendly to dumb-fire torpedoes (like Apogee or Conquest) or requires Automated Ships to use (for Rampart and Radiant).  As for ballistics, it is possible for XIV to use a bunch of small kinetics (in small and medium mounts) and boost them with ePD+IPDAI or Ballistic Rangefinder.  Normal Legion cannot do that because its mediums are composite, and probably need to be filled with missiles.

With the way Legion XIV is designed, player can totally ignore fighters (fill bays with 0 OP pods) and build it like a missileboat, and there is no other capital that has mounts like it has.  If player wants to ignore fighters on standard Legion, just get the Onslaught instead.

I am not sure upcoming Pegasus can replace Legion XIV since it costs 50 DP instead of 40, and the mounts usable for dumb-fire torpedoes are widely spaced apart like the Eagle's small missiles.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 05, 2023, 05:39:14 AM »

Small question
Do issue where game with hidden UI(F12) run much better than the one with UI on top was addressed?

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2023, 05:57:29 AM »

I still find it kindof weird how much more people like the XIV Legion; for most contexts, I actually prefer the weapon layout of the regular Legion. XIV one is definitely better as a specialized anti-battlestation ship, but it's not the version I'd rather take for general-purpose use.

Same for me. I value those large ballistics a lot in terms of making a battlecarrier. The XIV is better for long range squall spam, but if that is the desired role than an Astral has the same missile load and better fighters.
Astral is 50 DP vs Legion's 40 for the 2 squalls, better fighters but worse missiles.
XIV legion is nice in that you park it on the front and have a safe zone where other ship can't be jumped (Legion won't die and can have lots of budget kinetic/some HE output).
Extra 100 armor isn't the main point but it's also a very nice boost ofc, with some flux/OP to boot. Less power directly in front, but not much flux to use with strong fighters anyway and squalls are just good.
Astral is also a fat target but won't do much with its weapons.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 05, 2023, 05:59:55 AM »

I still find it kindof weird how much more people like the XIV Legion; for most contexts, I actually prefer the weapon layout of the regular Legion. XIV one is definitely better as a specialized anti-battlestation ship, but it's not the version I'd rather take for general-purpose use.
Personally i feel like the Legion XIV is "special". It is unique in the sense that you can only (ignoring historian blueprint location) find it wrecked and abandoned somewhere outside the core worlds (Was also my first capital ship). It also comes with the special hullmod found in all XIVs and a small sprinkle of extra OP, It is nothing really amazing that makes the regular legion objectively inferior at all but i dunno it is nice little extra. But honestly one of the most important parts of the legion XIV that has over the regular legion is that using burn drive and charging into the frontlines with two cyclone reapers just feels amazing, but maybe i should try two hammer barrages or those DEMs because they are very cool some day.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2023, 06:55:02 AM »

Since we're randomly talking about Legions let me say this: I can't imagine myself ever putting one in my fleet simply because their absurd fuel use. Onslaught is the same way, it uses 50% more fuel than the Paragon and that's with it being 50% cheaper SP-wise, so per-SP it actually uses 125% more fuel(Two Paragons - 120 SP, 20 fuel; three Onslaughts/Legions - 120 SP, 45 fuel)

I know that "low tech ships use more fuel" is a theme but I don't think the differences need to be that extreme, especially since you get almost nothing in return(slightly faster CR recovery doesn't matter 99.9% of the time)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 05, 2023, 07:03:36 AM »

honestly one of the most important parts of the legion XIV that has over the regular legion is that using burn drive and charging into the frontlines with two cyclone reapers just feels amazing
Regular legion can burn in with reapers too, and it gets 5 per volley instead of 4.
Now with the new patch, you will have 15 hammer burst instead...

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2023, 07:16:20 AM »

Since we're randomly talking about Legions let me say this: I can't imagine myself ever putting one in my fleet simply because their absurd fuel use. Onslaught is the same way, it uses 50% more fuel than the Paragon and that's with it being 50% cheaper SP-wise, so per-SP it actually uses 125% more fuel(Two Paragons - 120 SP, 20 fuel; three Onslaughts/Legions - 120 SP, 45 fuel)

I know that "low tech ships use more fuel" is a theme but I don't think the differences need to be that extreme, especially since you get almost nothing in return(slightly faster CR recovery doesn't matter 99.9% of the time)
Thankfully efficiency overhaul and containment procedures help a bunch. If that fails then bring a prometheus or two full of fuel.
Regular legion can burn in with reapers too, and it gets 5 per volley instead of 4.
Huh. Well, two cyclone reapers tend to last me for the entire fight more often than not. On your case how does that go?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2023, 07:29:31 AM »

Onslaught is actually more expensive per month than a Paragon, even without considering the fuel (40 supply = 4000 credits, 750 crew = 7500 in salaries, total 11500. Paragon has 60 supply and 500 crew, 6000 + 5000 = 11000. It's certainly workable, since people do use them, but it still bothers me. Also, I think you meant DP (Deployment Points), not SP.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 05, 2023, 08:52:11 AM »

Now that there are going to be Medium Hammers, the regular Legion will be able emulate the XIV with dual Large Hammers. That’s what I use the XIV for the most: a battering ram with huge alpha potential. There’s just nothing in the game that can withstand point blank dual Hammer barrages every few seconds with 60 missiles each via Missile Spec and EMR. All that said, base Legion can abuse 5x Proximity Mines and back it with 2x Large Kinetics and a fighter complement.

I think both variants are good but both could use the extra OP. They’re still, overall, behind a well-equipped Onslaught of equal cost.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 05, 2023, 08:59:37 AM »

Thankfully efficiency overhaul and containment procedures help a bunch. If that fails then bring a prometheus or two full of fuel.
Huh. Well, two cyclone reapers tend to last me for the entire fight more often than not. On your case how does that go?
Cyclone ammo is very generous, it's one of the missiles that rarely uses everything in a single battle.
5 Typhoon reapers are slightly cheaper, will still last for most fights in AI hands (definitely until the part where it's decided) and you get a bigger burst/more controlled use.
Missile spec on officers is a really big boost so you might skimp on racks for cyclone, though with 7 base ammo that will also be a decent option on Ms now.

Efficiency overhaul eats into combat OP, fuel is so cheap I'd just geta bunch of tankers.
Biggest effect is just the inconvenience, but phase transports also help with sensors so they are a nice option anyway.
Late game it doesn't matter too much, the one hard requirement when looking for a place to colonize is having a gate and then a full restock is always at hand.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 99