Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 321422 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2023, 08:54:38 AM »

The addition of the Energy Bolt Coherer hullmod and the upgrade to Pulse Lasers are pretty big game changers.
Energy Bolt Coherer may not be freely available and just limited to ships with it builtin.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2023, 09:02:33 AM »

I feel like the Medium Energy has to be a an assault weapon (and HB is generally optimal). The two Small Energies up front are a bit of an afterthought.
I've frequently played around with 2x Pulse Laser and 2x Antimatter Blaster. The incoming Pulse Laser buff will make that a much cheaper and more effective build than it was.
Keep in mind you are using 38 OP in the 2 S and M slots and dedicate 600 flux/s to something that won't be that good against medium-heavy hulls.
Getting heavy blaster+2 IR pulses will generally be stronger, only cost 22 and leave an M slot free for missiles.
Ofc there are less and less obvious rights and wrongs in the game, double pulse should work well against weak hulls.

As you mentioned, pulse laser buff and kinetic blaster/mining blaster look like they will shake things up.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 04, 2023, 09:31:39 AM »

Good set of fixes and lots of new stuff. Hard to guess how the new meta will arrange itself, but I would think high-tech is overall taking the lead with the sweeping weapon buffs.

The only thing that strikes me as funny is the laser-shooting missiles. Further reinforcing the "fighters are missiles" trope. ;)

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 04, 2023, 09:50:16 AM »

The addition of the Energy Bolt Coherer hullmod and the upgrade to Pulse Lasers are pretty big game changers.
Energy Bolt Coherer may not be freely available and just limited to ships with it builtin.
That would be a shame.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

CoverdInBees

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2023, 10:12:09 AM »

That would be a shame.

Current weapon balance would be completely broken if the mod was generally available. Well, unless the mod itself would have some prohibitive cost, i guess.
Anyway the mod *is* limited to ships that get it built in. Alex confirmed that somewhere in the early pages of this thread iirc.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2023, 10:21:35 AM »

Eh, I dunno? Is beam weapon balance broken because of Advanced Optics?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2023, 10:24:43 AM »

Beams are soft energy weapons and they can have longer ranges on that basis.

Pablovansnogger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2023, 10:25:42 AM »

Eh, I dunno? Is beam weapon balance broken because of Advanced Optics?

Maybe if you made it hard to get, like a rare drop from redacted and make the OP cost as much or more than ITU/Heavy armor could get the job done. But every hull mod doesn’t need to be available for every ship…

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2023, 11:38:19 AM »

i might be wrong but i think i saw a Lion Guard ship having energy bolt coherer.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2023, 12:07:24 PM »

Colossus already has both the hammer barrage and the burn drive.

A good point.

I see. Although the issue is less about the bonus and more about that current shield shunt is weaker than it probably should (No shield for 15% armor feels eeeeeh) but then when you S-Mod it it jumps to 30% and that is way better. So there is this situation where shield shunt is either too weak to consider or now a viable choice at a premium.
In short in the current state shield shunt more or less comes with a tax for it to work at a level that is worth the mechanical shift that it comes with.
Or something like that. I am not good at words.

I understand what you mean, yeah. I feel like that's a separate conversation about the balance of shield shunt that can be decoupled from s-mod effects.

Well that aside can i pry you about the s-mod effects of converted hangar and defensive targeting array?

(CH removes the fighter penalties and DTA adds +100 range to fighter weapons.)

I can't wait to continue the main story line. Still amazing just how good the writing is in Starsector.
There are LOADS of open world (or open galaxy, if you will) games that excel at the open thing and games, that have absolutely incredible story lines.

Starsector is the only game that i know of, that can pull both of those off this brilliantly.

I gotta emphasize the writing again. It keeps you hooked once you get into it. Especially with all the teasers along the way.

Pretty sure the moment this update releases, I'm gotta get a spontaneos case of... something and unfortunately have to take a week off of work.

Ahh, thank you! I'm rather a fan of David's writing, myself :)

(Just to be super clear, while there's a bunch more story in this release, the "main" storyline ends in the same place, for now.)

Regarding the Fury tangent discussion,

Sabot-based build for my AI-controlled Fury, in current campaign:

Thank you! Made a note of this to check it out and see how it feels.

Vanshilar's got some data and a build in a couple threads, one is:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=25686.msg383303#msg383303
That compares some kill times of mono cruiser fleets + player Onslaught vs double Ordo.
I thought he did a 15 DP vs 20 DP comparison as well against Ordos but can't find it.  I think the variation he used for that was something like:

And these, too - thank you!

Last thing that I really liked and worked well vs various opponents is Ion Pulser + Phase Lance, then pick a missile of your choice (I'd use Breaches if AI wasn't scared to fire them), AM Blaster and IR Pulse Laser in those 2 smalls that can fire forward. Two Burst PDs in the back mounts and Front shield conversion, max vents and rest into caps. I like this build since it doesn't require many hullmods. Obviously when you invest story points you can get ITU and something else.

... and this!

... and the other ones! Thank you all! :)

What would your current thoughts be on reducing the OP on the Legion XIV back to what it currently is? I ask because currently, though this is subject to change depending on the new caps, the Legion XIV is considered one of the stronger capitals largely because, unlike its base counterpart, its a capable long range support with its two large missiles and 4 fighter bays while also capable of being a strong front-liner with its tougher armor and 5 medium ballistics for only 40 DP and my main concern is that between the increased number and types of missiles and the +40 OP the XIV Legion has the potential to become even more oppressive compared to its peers. I'd understand if you'd not want to due to Legion XIV's rarity, because its only available to the player, and because it would be weird to not have XIV be a straight upgrade to its non-XIV version, but to that third I'd argue that its weird that the weapon mounts are different compared to its base version in the first place and the lower OP could just be the tradeoff of the conversion to Large missiles over ballistics from base.

I'm not married about having its OP be higher than the base variants, and you make a good point about feel/large slots/etc. On the other hand, I'm entirely unsold on the idea that the Legion XIV is one of the stronger capital. I think the idea of coordination via fighters and missiles is true in a somewhat more theoretical than practical way - like, if the Legions are able to coordinate vs a single target, it's either the start of a fight, or you've already started winning it; otherwise they've likely got their own problems to deal with. And if they're in the back rank and have the luxury of coordinating like this, then dedicated carriers would do better - e.g. the Astral.

I think more OP basically just gives it more hullmods - I think it can already get whatever fighters and weapons it really wants, and is a tad more limited on hullmods than I'd perhaps like. That said, I could see giving it +20 instead of +40, or some such. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

I've read my way through the patch notes and I generally like the ideas proposed in the coming patch. Frankly, adding new music and a bunch of side story quests is the breathe of fresh air I have been wanting as a longtime player of the game. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new weapons perform as well as I, too, have a love of insanely overbuilt mega-weapons that are just too powerful for their own good.

Now, I have an idea and a personal request combined for something to spice up exploration. Ruined world lore bits. Basically, when tech mining and to a far lesser extent doing your initial salvaging pass of a world with ruins on it, I think some generic lore bits about what kind of colony or outpost was there and what happened to it would be a fascinating way to add depth to the ruined sector and give you more of a feel of just how BAD things got post-collapse. For a while, at least. Doesn't have to be colony specific (although having special ruined colonies with special lore attached to them spawn would also be fun). Just a thought and my two cents.

Hi - thank you! And, hmm. Not sure how exactly we might do this, but the idea is very neat - making a note about it. I can totally see how it would add some depth - as long as it didn't try to over-explain things. Just little snippets, somewhere, perhaps. Worth thinking about!

Re: phase ship stuff - I think the problem isn't so much that you can't match the performance of the Shade (or Afflictor) in a larger fleet or with another ship. It's pretty fun to fly a phase ship in support of other ships, imo. It gets boring trying to do a solo type of thing, though - fly through, rinse, repeat. FWIW, I tried a similar build just now vs an Ordo and - I mean, I'm definitely not great at this specifc type of piloting, but it was challenging to deal with ships with omni shields. You can generally get them to raise it then swing around it and nail them, but doing that while also being out of range of the explosion is where I start to have significant problems. (Omens aren't so bad, actually, btw - sometimes they block the shots, but sometimes they don't, and being frigates, the explosion danger is low.)

Still, this feels like something that is both 1) doable with enough skill, practice, and patience and 2) boring, so, not a good thing. Sort of the old Tempest-solos-everything situation, just with more skill and less time (so, not *as* bad!).

I wonder about something like, I don't know, Electronic Warfare (not the skill, the general effect) some kind of effect against phase ships. Or perhaps if making omni shields turn a little faster as a baseline might be enough. For something like in that video (which, yeah, a very lopsided example) if the AI just balled up facing shields outward, that would pretty much neutralize this tactic. And if the solution that is to bring in additional ships the phase ship plays in support of, then - problem solved!

I bet they will be the best fighters ever and not because they have cool name(which they have of course, very cool name).

*thumbs up* (A little concerned they'll be OP on high-tech ships, but we'll see, I guess. It's the curse of support fighters - best on the opposite tech style.)

after going through the patch notes id like to make 2 small suggestions
 1_ wouldnt it make more sense for the cyclone reaper launcher to launch both torpedoes at the same time since theres 2 tubes? it would also change how you use them because right now the target ship can shoot down both at the same time with a well placed shot or just shoot down the second because of the delay but when they are shot together its more risky and rewarding

I think it'd be worse - both might get absorbed by the same shield-overloading hit, and they'd be more at risk to being taken out by area-of-effect flak. The spacing now is short enough that it doesn't give non-AoE PD much opportunity to switch targets, but long enough to avoid small AoE.

2_ i think the hammer barrage has too much spread even at close range you cant land more than 2 of the 4. maybe decrease that a little?

Hmm, that hasn't been my experience at all - not vs large ships, anyway. But more importantly: a certain amount of messy chaos is *extremely* intentional for that weapon!

also i remember a thread about medium ballistic weapons and how they dont synergize with each other after some of them changed(range and burst fire accuracy) is that left for the next update or did you forget about it?

Not sure what you mean.

Check this topic.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0
Then explain to Mr. Alex that because of colours, his posts are being 90% auto skip.
If you manage that, I'll fallow suit.  8)

Just stop, please. This rules-lawyering is not going to go anywhere, you were asked by a moderator to not do this.

i might be wrong but i think i saw a Lion Guard ship having energy bolt coherer.

Some of them do, yes. It has a modified effect on crewed ships, but still does boost non-beam energy range.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2023, 12:30:01 PM »

In regards to the fury, I tried it out with the upcoming changes to burst pds and typhoons in this layout:
Spoiler
[close]

Feels fantastic in player hands. In AI hands it's not terrible, but definitely underperforming. Even given that it's a "punch down" ship, given the best case sim scenario of going up against 2 hammerheads the AI struggles to pull through. It often chases down one hammerhead while trying to point the ion pulser at the other one for some reason. It will overload the target, but refuse to burn forward to get in AM-blaster range. Is there some way the AI can identify the target is both isolated and overloaded, and use that as a trigger to burn forward and get all weapons in range?

It took several tries but I did get a recording of it succeeding. Even here, you can see the ion pulser trying to point at the other hammerhead when it's both out of range and out of its firing arc. Not burning forward I at least understand, but this ion pulser thing caused a couple of failures for seemingly no reason.
TL;DR deez nuts

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2023, 12:32:19 PM »

Sort of the old Tempest-solos-everything situation, just with more skill and less time (so, not *as* bad!).
Hey! It never was that bad! Cruisers that weren't terminally backstabbable were a no-go, so you'd have to whip out another ship to deal with them anyway (since, similarly to the Shade, butting your head against the shield is pointless).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2023, 12:35:48 PM »

For Converted Hangar, does that mean...
* Fighters cost normal OP?
* Expanded Deck Crew can be added?

Sort of the old Tempest-solos-everything situation, just with more skill and less time (so, not *as* bad!).
Hey! It never was that bad! Cruisers that weren't terminally backstabbable were a no-go, so you'd have to whip out another ship to deal with them anyway (since, similarly to the Shade, butting your head against the shield is pointless).
I remember soloing the Hegemony Systems Defense Fleet with Tempest armed with two Heavy Blasters.  It was hard, but it was doable.  Had to vent spam every other shot.  Might have had Hegemony kill themselves from a burn-in accident.  Skills were much stronger, some exploits were not yet addressed (like fading shots hitting for hard flux among others), and the enemy did not have skills at the time.

I do not remember if I did this before 0.6 when PPT and CR were added or shortly after.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 12:40:40 PM by Megas »

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2023, 02:01:59 PM »

I don't know why but the fact that the effect of CH S-Mod feels so obvious gets me. DTA sounds pretty neato range is range and all that.
Some of them do, yes. It has a modified effect on crewed ships, but still does boost non-beam energy range.
A modified effect? Interesting.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2023, 02:02:41 PM »

Finally, my precious Xyphos, without the D-mod visual overlay. Assuming it doesn't get nerfed before the patch releases, that is.
Wasn't DTA the cheapest hullmod in the game? +100 range seems like a fairly minor upside then.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 99