Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 319182 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2023, 02:53:04 AM »

currently the Legion XIV is considered one of the stronger capitals
Considered by whom? I don't think this is the majority opinion at all.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2023, 02:55:53 AM »

- Irrelevant; campaign ships commonly have d-mods and those present in this battle didn't determine the outcome
Depends on what you're fighting. Expdrones, pathers, Luddic Church and (sometimes) pirates will have lots of d-mods, but what about everyone else?

If you can see the chaos caused by *one* lone 8DP ship, imagine that one ship accompanied by a proper fleet... and you're saying the video is an example biased in favor of the player? For real? 8 deployment points versus 200, and the one that's getting a raw deal here is the AI? Not the player, with 29 endgame ships they're choosing not to deploy?
Yeah, those aren't situations you encounter in campaign. Rarely ever will you fight 200 (and at some point, just 200) DP worth of ships that has d-mods, has no officers and no commander. That's why others don't find this demonstration relevant: it's not what you encounter in the game.

Other than that, yeah, phase ships are pretty good player ships, even after the nerf.

Low Settings

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2023, 04:02:24 AM »

Those problems caused by phase ships are about to get solved since the phase a.i. will now do that to the player also  ;D

Lely

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2023, 04:22:52 AM »

after going through the patch notes id like to make 2 small suggestions
 1_ wouldnt it make more sense for the cyclone reaper launcher to launch both torpedoes at the same time since theres 2 tubes? it would also change how you use them because right now the target ship can shoot down both at the same time with a well placed shot or just shoot down the second because of the delay but when they are shot together its more risky and rewarding
 2_ i think the hammer barrage has too much spread even at close range you cant land more than 2 of the 4. maybe decrease that a little?

also i remember a thread about medium ballistic weapons and how they dont synergize with each other after some of them changed(range and burst fire accuracy) is that left for the next update or did you forget about it?

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2023, 05:16:04 AM »

I generally like a Heavy Blaster + Ion Pulsar + Sabot as the primary loadout, although I've also used a Converted Hangar + Xyphos + Heavy Blaster + double missile pods of some flavor with s-mods.  Hullmods will depend on s-mods or not as well.  But some mixture of Front Shields, ITU, Expanded Missile Racks, and Hardened Shields typically.  Converted Hangar if Xyphos.  Add in ion cannons (if no other source of ion damage), point defense, or IR pulse lasers as needed, although typically I only throw on a 2 or 3 small weapons.  Bump vents as needed to match needs (or max), and the rest into capacitors.

Yeah, don't think Fury has much room for experiments. Safety overrides or not, converted hangars or not, what missiles, that's the bulk of the choices.
What I liked the most:

Probably in the minority but I think M reapers at 5 a pop were already good, especially on a faster ship like this.
Caps over vents so it has more time to get out when it gets caught, some nominal PD because it seems like that helps staying on target, reapers because it's always paired with some form of long range kinetic (mostly squalls).

vladokapuh

• Commander
  • Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2023, 05:17:06 AM »

I am missing skill  update, will it come ?
Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean.
Support doctrine
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=25923.0

Energy Weapon Mastery
Energy Weapon Mastery
(for colour police - Which shade of blue is reserved by moderators ?)
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=25832.0

There are also  very weak skills which needs  buff or polishing  like:
All shield shunt (armor tanking skills) becouse Shield Shnt hullmode is suboptimal in any combat situation even with full specced pilot. Especially  Damage Control Elite  -  total waste of  point.

Regarding Pilots&skills :
Pilots need an option how to be more flexible and change their skills faster. For example, let pilots acquire skill points even after their max level is reached (same as main character),  those extra points can be used to swap skill for other skill (same as main character). So when pilot reach the max level he can still evolve. Adapt to new challenges.  Player can keep pilots whole game, and retrain to new needs, rather than:" fire old >> hire new "mechanic. (well, personally I  use edit save because of no support in game)
just stop using colors at all its pain to read

also i do agree that officer mechanics are terrible right now
i started doing save edits to them as its really annoying ingame, and finding lvl7 officers that are just completely useless feels like punishment instead of reward
Cabbage

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2023, 05:19:50 AM »

I generally like a Heavy Blaster + Ion Pulsar + Sabot as the primary loadout, although I've also used a Converted Hangar + Xyphos + Heavy Blaster + double missile pods of some flavor with s-mods.  Hullmods will depend on s-mods or not as well.  But some mixture of Front Shields, ITU, Expanded Missile Racks, and Hardened Shields typically.  Converted Hangar if Xyphos.  Add in ion cannons (if no other source of ion damage), point defense, or IR pulse lasers as needed, although typically I only throw on a 2 or 3 small weapons.  Bump vents as needed to match needs (or max), and the rest into capacitors.

Yeah, don't think Fury has much room for experiments. Safety overrides or not, converted hangars or not, what missiles, that's the bulk of the choices.
What I liked the most:

Probably in the minority but I think M reapers at 5 a pop were already good, especially on a faster ship like this.
Caps over vents so it has more time to get out when it gets caught, some nominal PD because it seems like that helps staying on target, reapers because it's always paired with some form of long range kinetic (mostly squalls).
My flagship Fury (when it just came out) looked pretty much the same, just swap one Typhoon for Sabots. And yeah I also thought Typhoons are great even now. AI often wastes them and fires on shields but it's like that with every unguided missile.
Please don't take me too seriously.

CoverdInBees

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2023, 05:24:34 AM »

You could of course consider just not using colors since that's what one of the developers/moderators asked.
Maybe use the time you spare by not using colors to tidy up your spelling so your posts stop being 90% auto skip.

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2023, 05:46:07 AM »

You could of course consider just not using colors since that's what one of the developers/moderators asked.
Maybe use the time you spare by not using colors to tidy up your spelling so your posts stop being 90% auto skip.
Check this topic.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0
Then explain to Mr. Alex that because of colours, his posts are being 90% auto skip.
If you manage that, I'll fallow suit.  8)

vladokapuh

• Commander
  • Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2023, 05:50:15 AM »

Check this topic.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0
Then explain to Mr. Alex that because of colours, his posts are being 90% auto skip.
If you manage that, I'll fallow suit.  8)
that is not a normal post but an index that uses colors to highlight which mods are upto date
not a good line of defense
Cabbage

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2023, 05:54:37 AM »

that is not a normal post but an index that uses colors to highlight which mods are upto date
not a good line of defense
More importantly, that's Alex's post anyway...

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2023, 05:59:31 AM »

Back to the Fury, yeah, I suppose the only really interesting decision to be made is what to use the Synergy mount for. I feel like the Medium Energy has to be a an assault weapon (and HB is generally optimal). The two Small Energies up front are a bit of an afterthought. I also tend to leave the lateral Small Energies empty so it’s a Cruiser that only has one meaningful decision to make: what Missile(s) or supporting Medium Energy to take?

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2023, 06:50:08 AM »

I feel like the Medium Energy has to be a an assault weapon (and HB is generally optimal). The two Small Energies up front are a bit of an afterthought.
I've frequently played around with 2x Pulse Laser and 2x Antimatter Blaster. The incoming Pulse Laser buff will make that a much cheaper and more effective build than it was.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2023, 08:27:23 AM »

I am missing skill  update, will it come ?
Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean.
Support doctrine
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=25923.0

Energy Weapon Mastery
Energy Weapon Mastery
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=25832.0

There are also  very weak skills which needs  buff or polishing  like:
All shield shunt (armor tanking skills) becouse Shield Shnt hullmode is suboptimal in any combat situation even with full specced pilot. Especially  Damage Control Elite  -  total waste of  point.

Regarding Pilots&skills :
Pilots need an option how to be more flexible and change their skills faster. For example, let pilots acquire skill points even after their max level is reached (same as main character),  those extra points can be used to swap skill for other skill (same as main character). So when pilot reach the max level he can still evolve. Adapt to new challenges.  Player can keep pilots whole game, and retrain to new needs, rather than:" fire old >> hire new "mechanic. (well, personally I  use edit save because of no support in game)
The brighter blue is the mod blue i think so avoid using that one.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2023, 08:51:31 AM »

The addition of the Energy Bolt Coherer hullmod and the upgrade to Pulse Lasers are pretty big game changers. Combine that with the upgrades to the Eagle and you've got a pretty mean brawler on your hands.

But it will change things across the board, pretty much any ship with a high proportion of medium energy turrets is being given two very good reasons to use Pulse Lasers. I wonder if Support Doctrine Shrikes will become viable now?
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 99