Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 321653 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2023, 07:25:30 PM »

Will any of the new mission grant Hypercognition (or new special skills) as rewards?
Has Rugged Construction been added to every Derelict?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 07:33:42 PM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2023, 09:40:33 PM »

It's an interesting ship that has design considerations that make it distinct from other carriers, it's one of the first dedicated carriers the player can access, and it's a shame to see it go unused for so long.

Hmm. Is it, honestly? It's really tricky to balance, it feels like the sort of ship that very easily tips over into "and now massing it is the absolute best strategy". The Mora at least has some interesting battlecarrier-type things going for it.

I'd say it's interesting, yes. It's the only dedicated carrier with Reserve Deployment, which gives it different design incentives than its peers. Back when it was a ship worth flying, I generally wanted to build around keeping fighters in the air instead of optimizing around bombers like the Heron and Astral or supporting itself in direct combat like the Moras or the handful of High-Tech ships that have an incidental bay.

You've already got diminishing returns built into fighter spam with the new soft cap on skills and the Drover has been very far from good, so I don't feel like it's on the edge of overtaking the game again. It's definitely more powerful than the Condor, sure, but is it really 1.5 Condors?

Zr0Potential

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2023, 09:50:03 PM »

One thing that got me curious is
Waystations now pull in a small quantity of Volatiles and Transplutonics
Wonder what's the reason and or explanation behind this one
Game-mechanics, it makes it a one-stop shop for "This is everything an exploring player needs". Lore-wise... probably about the same: "Yeah, we don't use this stuff locally, but it's good to have on hand for exploration fleets that come by, so we keep a bit of stock."
(Yep, exactly!)

Oh wow I genuinely forgot Neutrino Detector exists after multiple experiences with how unreliable it is (no offense btw) so I don't bother bringing Violatiles anymore, guess I'll give it another try with an easily accessible supply for it, thanks guys  ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 09:59:08 PM by Zr0Potential »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2023, 11:08:06 PM »

Ah, so shield upkeep is actually defined as fraction of flux dissipation, got it.
Ship_data.csv is a pathway to many properties some consider to be unintuitive.

Psigun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2023, 11:19:23 PM »

How dare my lovely Galaxy-class--- errrr, I mean Apogee--- flagship of every game I've ever played get a nerf!!!

Oh, it's just 2 OP? Doesn't matter... I'll keep shield-tanking everything while getting cheap planet scans and sniping with a Tachyon Lance and overwhelming PD and fighters with Locust SRMs.

Kidding aside the Apogee is a beast and just paying a bit more to field it is appropriate, but not enough to take its personality away.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2023, 11:34:23 PM »

@Alex
I'm not sure Falcon(P) even needs another nerf, it performs exactly how a 20 DP ship should. The fact that the player can maximize that potential is fine as there are even more gamebreaking ships. In fact, like another comment mentioned, I'm surprised Gryphon and Monitor got no changes, those things literally break the game.

And I'll still keep saying Fury is overcosted, especially with AI that dies more often with it than with frigates. I don't see it getting stronger than it currently is so the only path to redemption is having its DP cost down to 18 or so.

EDIT: I forgot to comment on the DP costs, wow I would've never guessed only 50 DP for a capital that seems so insane. 30 DP for Apex makes sense now that I looked back on the screenshot. It has a ton of firepower plus free PD with Terminator drones.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 12:53:52 AM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2023, 01:24:43 AM »

Will any of the new mission grant Hypercognition (or new special skills) as rewards?
All derelicts already have rugged construction far as i know.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2023, 01:29:30 AM »

I don't see it getting stronger than it currently is
Fury is one of the best CH platforms to use Sarissa. I expect both Fury and Shrike to be noticeably better simply because they get easy access to kinetic damage without missiles.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2023, 01:55:53 AM »

Again, indirect buffs help all ships similar to it. At the end of the day the ship in question is going to stay inferior regardless. I'd much rather have 2 Auroras than 3 Furies, hell even 4.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2023, 02:00:31 AM »

All derelicts already have rugged construction far as i know.
Silly me.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2023, 02:00:58 AM »

Again, indirect buffs help all ships similar to it.
No, indirect buffs help all ships to different extents. CH Sarissa on Fury is much better that on Aurora, for example, because of the OP/DP ratio and the number of weapon slots.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2023, 02:25:48 AM »

Again, indirect buffs help all ships similar to it.
No, indirect buffs help all ships to different extents. CH Sarissa on Fury is much better that on Aurora, for example, because of the OP/DP ratio and the number of weapon slots.
By that logic I'll simply get 2 Shrikes and a frigate. We could go in circles like this forever, just mark my words that it will remain a weak ship if nothing else changes.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2023, 03:15:30 AM »

How dare my lovely Galaxy-class--- errrr, I mean Apogee--- flagship of every game I've ever played get a nerf!!!

Oh, it's just 2 OP? Doesn't matter... I'll keep shield-tanking everything while getting cheap planet scans and sniping with a Tachyon Lance and overwhelming PD and fighters with Locust SRMs.

Kidding aside the Apogee is a beast and just paying a bit more to field it is appropriate, but not enough to take its personality away.
Yeah, going from 18 to 20 is justified IMO (update might even be an overall buff).
The big ones are burst weapons not turning away while firing, and a separate improvement for target switching that Apogee with HIL/Tach should like a lot.
Tac lasers use less flux, a cheap graviton in the bottom right is nice for support, can possibly use autoloader for the small missile on top of extended racks.
Probably my favorite ship in the entire game, and it keeps on trucking :)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2023, 03:55:32 AM »

Apogee is the best "all in one" ship in the game, that's probably why so many like it. Not to mention the unique design. I've seen before some comments saying how the ship is slow to be a real combat cruiser, and to this day I want to know the number of their dealer.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2023, 05:19:23 AM »

And I'll still keep saying Fury is overcosted, especially with AI that dies more often with it than with frigates. I don't see it getting stronger than it currently is so the only path to redemption is having its DP cost down to 18 or so.
Or more OP (about +5 or +10).  It is mildly OP starved.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 99