Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great game  (Read 1183 times)

Darthyank

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Great game
« on: January 31, 2023, 05:24:30 AM »

I discovered  Starsector a few days ago, I was somehow under my radar, it not being on steam.
I saw a negative review on some game saying that it wasnt worth Starsector. So I checked it out.

A whaaaaou .... what a game!!  :-*

It's a mixture of elite dangerous with more content and Mount and Blade but better than both games combined...
The fights, the map, the complexity, the mods...

There is a guy (Hit Point Inn Gaming) who made a 10 hours tutorial!!  

I havent stopped playing since I bought it... That game was really worth my money.

Just wanted to share my 2 cents and thank the game developers.

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
Re: Great game
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 05:03:23 PM »

It's great to hear another new player's enthusiasm for this one-of-a-kind game. Welcome to the community!
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

Nick9

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 04:30:32 AM »

Damn, it is. I just heard about it from my friend and started playing. This game is in top #2 in my fav list already, because I SEARCHED for something like this but was unable to find. Open-world space sandbox RPG with good fleet battles, manual ship control with options to fit your ships in any way, colony management, exploration, etc. AND with [REDACTED] EXCELLENT MODDING COMMUNITY. Wow, I'm impressed. Couldn't get out of it for a week.
Has its downsides though, without mods may feel kinda empty at times, maybe not enough dialogue-based for me. But holy Ludd, there's too much already, there's a real choice of what to do, there's a great learning curve (10-hour guide checks out), it's just never boring. Unless you're travelling from one edge of starsector to another, yeah.
Excellent game. Going to download even more mods however.

P.S. There's a serious need for a better trailer for this game.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 04:50:49 AM by Nick9 »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 06:21:50 AM »

P.S. There's a serious need for a better trailer for this game.
I suggested the same thing not too long ago. It desperately needs a better showcase of the current implementation of the game. Now the key part is if it pays off to make a new one for 0.96 when there's definitely going to be a 1.0 release trailer. Actually we're so long in 0.9 releases it's probably going to take a couple of more years until 1.0. I'm not savvy in this topic but realistically how long does it take to make a new trailer?

Either way, when I want to show off the game to someone I just link them the Sseth vid, if I had sent the official trailer, there would be less of a "hook" so to speak.
Please don't take me too seriously.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 01:34:07 PM »

If Alex held a contest for Best Trailer, he’d probably get a dozen or more very polished, near-professional entries. The SS community has a lot of talent.

Nick9

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 01:07:03 AM »

Either way, when I want to show off the game to someone I just link them the Sseth vid, if I had sent the official trailer, there would be less of a "hook" so to speak.

I like this one, but it still doesn't serve enough trailer purposes and even contains some [REDACTED] spoilers. I'm trying to find something short and action filled... I think...

WhisperDSP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 01:11:20 AM »

I like this one, but it still doesn't serve enough trailer purposes and even contains some [REDACTED] spoilers. I'm trying to find something short and action filled... I think...
To be realistic, after 10+ years of development, spoilers are a non-event. It's not like it's a BGS release less than 1 year after the release. People know.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 01:59:05 AM »

To be realistic, after 10+ years of development, spoilers are a non-event. It's not like it's a BGS release less than 1 year after the release. People know.
To be real, after 150 hours in the game, there are still a lot of things I haven't seen or done, like establishing a colony, flying or fighting against a Paragon or a lot of other ships-classes or meeting the end-[REDACTED]-things (and all that even after watching Sseth's video). So I would be very glad, if a possible trailer would be aware of the possibility of spoilers.
(Also, if a trailer directly shows straight all the good late-game-parts, actually playing the game may lead to dissapointment. Because one expects that the actual game has more of that what is shown in the trailer for you to discover. And if that part isn't there, the game feels empty or like a scam.)

Nick9

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 03:38:39 AM »

To be completely fair, it's really small amount of people know about this game in a first place. I didn't hear a thing. But I glanced at Rarr videos after my friend's recommendation. He just knew I like space sim/rpg games so he offered me this to play, and... Yeah!

But it's not that easy to recommend to someone more picky without a... yknow. Some visual information about what this game about. 10 hour gameplay VOD is not necessary. Only small fraction of ascepts is enough. Like... 1-2 minutes.

Not a Pirate

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 08:01:41 PM »

o7 Captain.

Good to see another free soul who won't stand for that Hegemony totalitarian nonsense.   Probably.

Kinsume

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 12:08:36 AM »

I discovered  Starsector a few days ago, I was somehow under my radar, it not being on steam.
I saw a negative review on some game saying that it wasnt worth Starsector. So I checked it out.

A whaaaaou .... what a game!!  :-*

It's a mixture of elite dangerous with more content and Mount and Blade but better than both games combined...
The fights, the map, the complexity, the mods...

There is a guy (Hit Point Inn Gaming) who made a 10 hours tutorial!!  

I havent stopped playing since I bought it... That game was really worth my money.

Just wanted to share my 2 cents and thank the game developers.

I couldn't agree more, its a shame the game hasn't been advertised more I'm sure it'd do well. I only stumbled accross it when someone I was watching on twitch switched over to it. Did some quick googling, figured why not try it, and here we are. Who knows how many hours I've put into the game now lol. The game scratches a very specific itch that was previously scratched by M&B Warband.