Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are any specific mods known to reduce alpha core drops?  (Read 1179 times)

Fayd

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Are any specific mods known to reduce alpha core drops?
« on: January 30, 2023, 08:40:30 PM »

Played this game forever, lurked on forums but never bothered posting. Think I’m on a streak of 30+ full ordos without any alpha cores. I’ve seen other people discuss this but someone always just pastes the drop rates from the game file and says “bad luck”. I understand bad luck but 30ish ordos with no alpha drop is such a statistical outlier that I’m more inclined to blame an external cause. Weird thing is that I don’t think any mods I have should alter the drop rate. Help or insight appreciated.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Are any specific mods known to reduce alpha core drops?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 09:47:01 PM »

I don't know how it rolls Alpha Core drops for Ordos exactly; I think that code is in the obfuscated stuff. It looks like there is a 1 in 106 chance per roll, and I see salvage Remnants roll twice for each capital and once per cruiser.

If I assume there were 30 capitals and 30 cruisers (90 rolls) in the Ordos you defeated (probably more cruisers than that), then my little calculator I coded up in a minute or two says you have about a 58% chance of getting at least one Alpha Core. That means there's still a 42% chance of getting 0.

200 rolls only gives an 85% chance of getting one Alpha Core, so my conclusion: kill more Ordos.

I could be wrong, though.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 10:36:54 PM »

I don't know how it rolls Alpha Core drops for Ordos exactly; I think that code is in the obfuscated stuff. It looks like there is a 1 in 106 chance per roll, and I see salvage Remnants roll twice for each capital and once per cruiser.

If I assume there were 30 capitals and 30 cruisers (90 rolls) in the Ordos you defeated (probably more cruisers than that), then my little calculator I coded up in a minute or two says you have about a 58% chance of getting at least one Alpha Core. That means there's still a 42% chance of getting 0.

200 rolls only gives an 85% chance of getting one Alpha Core, so my conclusion: kill more Ordos.

I could be wrong, though.
bruh those *** numbers

WhisperDSP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 02:13:30 AM »

Dig into the settings.json, its in there. Something like a 5% chance for gamma cores IIRC, less for alphas.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 09:39:49 AM »

From settings.json:

# probability of AI core dropping from a destroyed enemy ship that had an AI core officer installed
"drop_prob_officer_alpha_core":0.05,
"drop_prob_officer_beta_core":0.1,
"drop_prob_officer_gamma_core":0.2,
"drop_prob_mult_ai_core_frigate":1,
"drop_prob_mult_ai_core_destroyer":2,
"drop_prob_mult_ai_core_cruiser":3,
"drop_prob_mult_ai_core_capital":4,
"drop_prob_mult_ai_core_station":1000, # the station always drops it

So for an alpha core, a base 5% chance, x4 if it's in a Radiant, x3 if it's in a Brilliant, etc. (Edit: x4 meaning 20%, not 4 rolls of 5%, btw.)

(This used to be handled differently - just some rolls based on defeating remnant ships in general. But now (as of 0.95.1a, possibly also 0.95a but not sure on that one) it's based on the presence of AI cores commanding the ships you've actually destroyed, and handled entirely in FleetEncounterContext. So I think for a mod to mess with this, it would have to either change the values in settings.json, or provide its own implementation of the FleetEncounterContextPlugin. Though I suppose it's also possible to modify the salvaged cargo pre-drop in FIDConfigGen or some other kind of listener. ... yeah, there are options here.)

Given the vanillla values above, the odds of not getting any alpha cores from 30+ Ordos seem vanishingly small - around one in a thousand *just* counting 1 capital per Ordo and nothing else.

Played this game forever, lurked on forums but never bothered posting.

Hi, and welcome to the forum! :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:44:21 AM by Alex »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 10:18:25 AM »

Sounds like the first thing to test would be temporarily setting drop_prob_officer_alpha_core to 1.0, and then blowing up a fleet and see if it works.  If it does, then you're probably looking at RNG; one-in-one-thousand odds will happen to someone if you've got enough players, after all. And if it doesn't, then you know there's a mod messing with things.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 11:40:26 AM »

that everything recoverable mod completely breaks AI core drops iirc

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 06:39:52 PM »

Given the vanillla values above, the odds of not getting any alpha cores from 30+ Ordos seem vanishingly small - around one in a thousand *just* counting 1 capital per Ordo and nothing else.

Glad it is not that horrible 1/106 odds.