Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Keybind: Fire Weapon Group #  (Read 775 times)

Psyentific

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Keybind: Fire Weapon Group #
« on: January 27, 2023, 10:34:08 AM »

see: Mechwarrior

It's fairly common for players to have their missiles on a different weapon group than their sustained fire, or their HE burst damage on a different weapon group than their Kinetic sustained pressure. In order to fire a missile, you would need to switch away from your Guns group to your Missile group, then shoot missile, then switch back to Guns and keep shooting. That's three separate actions when it only needs to be one. Compare to Mechwarrior, which has keybinds for cycling between weapon groups but also keybinds for firing a group regardless of which is active; you can put all your SRMs on 3 and all your LRMs on 4 and then just push that button whenever you want to dispense missiles.

There is not currently a button to Fire Group X; you need to switch to group X then fire active group. Easiest solution would be to use Alt, Shift, or Control as a modifier. For example; pushing 5 switches to group 5, but hitting Alt-5 just fires group 5. In terms of gameplay effect, this would make it much easier to weave Sabots/Torpedoes/etc. into your normal sustained dakka without having to fuddle with controls or lay off the trigger.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 10:36:05 AM by Psyentific »

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Keybind: Fire Weapon Group #
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 12:11:26 AM »

I like this idea. I’m constantly pausing the game to switch to sabots or whatever, unpause, fire, pause, switch back, unpause and then back to fighting. Control # is already for toggling auto fire and shift is for point to cursor so it’s probably be alt #.

Bulletkin

• Ensign
  • Now it's into the void, now me girls and me boys~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 09:02:39 AM »

Yep. Small, handy addition that I could really see myself using.
(your local Secrets of the Frontier fanboy)

...From Mother's hands, we go. We'll be sailing to the sun 'till the voyage is done, then we'll be sleeping in the cold below~

PixiCode

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 12:22:46 AM »

Unless this is actually part of the game somehow, I would actually use this occasionally. For now pausing accomplishes that, though, so it's not the end of the world.

Spacer Heater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 05:53:07 AM »

I never knew I wanted this until now. If it doesn't get added, I'll probably just add it myself.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 09:12:30 AM »

Yeah, this reminds me of Mechwarrior (even though I haven’t played one of those games in forever). I think I would like this for strike weapons and missiles. Just tap “2” to fire Sabots or something.

It would take some getting used to but the granularity it would provide would be welcome.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 11:06:23 AM »

I would love to have something like that.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Nick9

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 11:26:52 AM »

Yep, that's a QoL improvement I need.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 09:13:36 PM »

This would be great for both missiles and high-flux weapons like phase lances.

The weapon script already works pretty well for the kind of functionality you would want.  Weapons off autofire will track the cursor so you can be really choosy where your main battery fires.

A noteworthy addition would be some kind of indicator that shows when each weapon group is fully on cooldown, partially on cooldown, and no cooldown.