Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fossic Vanilla Weapon Guide for Starsector 0.95.1  (Read 2836 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fossic Vanilla Weapon Guide for Starsector 0.95.1
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2023, 11:36:12 AM »

Wait a minute... Fragment damage is massively weak to both shield and armor but deals normal damage against hull? Oof.

Well, I keep hearing that only missiles have hull. Ships always have armor, even if they have no armor(since they get the 5% base armor minimum at all times) So fragmentation damage actually does 25% damage against ship hull too.
The 5% base armor is for damage mitigation calculations; it means that frag damage weapons with low hit strength will deal significantly reduced damage against hull, but high hit strength frag weapons (like the cryoblaster) will deal essentially their full listed DPS against ship hulls.

For ease of calculations, let's assume that we're firing a frag weapon with a listed 500 DPS and 200 damage per shot against a ship with 1000 base armor. 5% of 1000 is 50. Hit strength for that frag weapon is 200... divided by four because armor, so also 50. Against bare hull, it'll do half DPS (so for this example, 250). Against the last tag ends of armor, however, it'd be doing around 60 DPS - half damage from armor mitigation, and then 1/4 of that because fragmentation type against armor.

You're correct that missiles don't have armor, though.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2023, 11:42:39 AM »

You're correct that missiles don't have armor, though.
Alex on his way to design a new end game enemy  8)
Please don't take me too seriously.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2023, 06:25:34 PM »

I mean yeah i understand that fragment damage gets the boon of insane efficiency. I just had in my head that frag did like 125-150% ish damage to hull for some reason? I am not complaining that frag is useless or anything (Specially when the flak exists and it works so well). Just a bit of a shock and confusion at where i got that from.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2023, 11:41:47 PM »

The 5% base armor is for damage mitigation calculations;

See, that's how I assumed it worked but then people on this forum told me otherwise.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2023, 03:46:12 AM »

https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Armor
The "Mechanics" section has a good overview and I don't think anything is off there.
TL;DR armor is localized health, hull is global health for the entire ship, unskilled stripped armor still counts at 5% of the original value for damage reduction only, unskilled max armor damage reduction is 85%.
Pages: 1 [2]