Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fossic Vanilla Weapon Guide for Starsector 0.97 (UPDATED)  (Read 4847 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Fossic Vanilla Weapon Guide for Starsector 0.97 (UPDATED)
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2024, 07:26:57 PM »

Solid guide! There are a couple of minor points/a few weapon rankings I disagree with, but all the fundamentals are good.

Achi Cirno

• Ensign
  • sine qua non
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2024, 08:34:11 PM »

We have covered spark in fighter guide. Tbh he mentioned spark when writing paladin is more of a sarcastic move than practical. I have already deleted this portion.
But, its true when mentioning burst laser that it does has some armor penetration, and spark is using it.

If you're talking about the fighter guide, it can threaten destroyer because lots of destroyers are omni shield which cannot cover everything. Enforcer armor is heavier so it may be an exception. Spark is more like a fighter than interceptor, a general purpose drone than using it for specialized anti-fighter.
I was pointing out that it can't threaten destroyers or frigates more than the Wasp. Along with the Spark's issues I mentioned above, it also has a terrible tendency to flat out miss, or move its burst PD off target when firing.
The Wasp tends to deal equal or greater armor damage when compared to the Spark.
As such the Spark no longer fills any role.

Thanks, sry I messed up spark with another fighter which has a wild turret arc its burst laser doesn't miss. It's been a long while since I use spark.

I'll pass this to the guide author, so there'll be some changes in fighter guide. Tho in mind this is weapon guide, the burst laser session is just smth that worth mentioning that is.

Tranquility

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2024, 09:13:01 PM »

Thank you for maintaining and translating the weapon guide, Achi Cirno! I will say, though, that the repeated references to "tournament" and "campaign" within the document kinda obscures what the guide's intended audience is -- are they tournament players, who build fleets against another equally-matched, player-made fleet, or are they campaign players, who are potentially facing fleets that make up for their worse and/or more predictable fits by simply having far more DP and reinforcements? I am guessing that the guide is more tailored towards the tournament side (which makes complete sense if Fossic frequently hosts tournaments), but, considering the relative lack of tournments here and how often discussions about fighting or optimizing against multi-fleet battles -- whether it is Remnant Ordos, the League blockade, or otherwise -- pop up in this forum, I'll be addressing the guide as if it was made for the main campaign.

So, with that out of the way, let's start with the HAG. I've had great success using them in the Onslaught (XIV) spam fleet I made during my 0.97a playthrough, and judging from Vanshilar's results about the 0.96a HAG here and what other people discussed about the 0.97a HAG here and elsewhere, it's probably safe to say that, thanks to its better suppression and finisher capabilities, the HAG is more versatile and, thus, better than the Hellbore as a large HE ballistic in most campaign situations, even against heavily-armored targets like the Hegemony and fully-fledged Ordo fleets -- contrary to what the guide implies about the HAG.

As for the IRAL, the 500 burst frag DPS is really amazing at shredding unprotected hull, even despite it only having 62.5 hit strength against armor. The Graviton's shield damage bonus and soft-flux kinetic damage is cool and all, but, with a measly 100 kinetic DPS barely matching the IRAL's 125 sustained frag DPS, it cannot effortlessly punish fluxed-out, weakened, or fleeing targets like the IRAL can. Also, IRAL benefits from S-Modded Expanded Magazines too, which further increases its damage output as well as other magazine-based weapons like the Autopulse and Burst PD Lasers (an example I found of boosted IRAL in-action is the fleet in this forum post). Thus, I'd rate the IRAL about equal to, if not better than, the Graviton Beam in overall performance.

Ptirodaktill

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2024, 10:13:21 PM »

I stopped using HVD on cruisers and capitals completely after i discovered the power of HMG with elite point blank+ s moded augmented turrets. I think HVD overvalued in community probably due to tournament home-rules and rarely worth the flux price.
 Only used tactical laser on pest control paragone with 2 hil, 4 gravitons advanced optics and dual autopulse in frontal slots. It instantly melt everything that is smaller that a cruiser, take short work of all cruisers and de-flux anything that is not a radiant before it can enter the firing range. Flagship only, cause AI don`t understand the concept of concentrated fire and extra punch from cybernetic augmentation is very noticeable on energy weapons. You can also spam them on Champion with the same concept of super long range beamer anti-pest ship IF the AI get the idea of concentrating fire.
 IRPL and PL should alway be paired with anti armor solution, be it antimatter blaster on omen or medusa,  heavy blaster on fury and aurora or plasma canon on Odysey. Also elite energy weapon skill make these pulsers much better that they look from specs. Its not as good as DLMG or HMG on SO ships, but it make the job done.
  I expect nerfs to autopulse laser or ex mag or both in near future. 5 autopulse laser brilliant jumpscare is not exactly healthy for the game.
 Dragonfire is just too slow, unreliable even for a missile and way too expensive.

eert5rty7u8i9i7u6yrewqdef

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2024, 12:46:40 AM »

I expect nerfs to autopulse laser or ex mag or both in near future. 5 autopulse laser brilliant jumpscare is not exactly healthy for the game.
Radiant, not Brilliant. Brilliant has 1 large energy, Radiant can mount five, or three with two large missiles.
Autopulse and ex mag are fine, the Radiant is just busted. 5x Plasma cannon or Tachyon Lance is also busted, just slightly less due to it over fluxing the Radiant.
The only change I can see happening is the s-mod for ex mags being removed and re-added as its own hullmod.
Pages: 1 2 [3]