Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mercenary Officers Buff(?) Suggestion  (Read 615 times)

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Mercenary Officers Buff(?) Suggestion
« on: January 26, 2023, 08:32:18 AM »

Perhaps you don't need to spend 1 story point to hire a mercenary officer, having them rely on a "merc officer limit" like contacts. Players start with 2 or something and then can increase their limit by 1 story point each. However, renewing to keep the same one should cost a story point as it is.

Spacer Heater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary Officers Buff(?) Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 08:51:25 AM »

I might be going crazy, but I swear I saw somewhere on here that mercs were going to be hired in groups or something like that. Does anyone else remember anything similar, or am I just getting Mandela Effected.

Regardless, I agree the current state of mercs could use some work. I think under a system like this, it would better to start with 0 and increase from there. Being able to start the game with 2 level 7s after some searching around I feel is a bit strong. At least with the current system you need to get into enough fights to acquire a story point first. (Gotta build a reputation right?)

(A bit unrelated, but I'd also love to see a way to store officers, or "suspend them" like contacts. Sucks getting a god officer from salvaging at the start of a save and having its salary eat into income through the entirety of the early game.)

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 03:44:27 PM »

I might be going crazy, but I swear I saw somewhere on here that mercs were going to be hired in groups or something like that. Does anyone else remember anything similar, or am I just getting Mandela Effected.
Do you mean Nexerelin's Mercenary Ship Group? You basically spend a story point to get random smodded ships and good merc officers but with no renewal options.

Spacer Heater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 06:06:23 AM »

Do you mean Nexerelin's Mercenary Ship Group? You basically spend a story point to get random smodded ships and good merc officers but with no renewal options.

You know, that's probably it now that I think about it some more. Whoops.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 12:48:26 PM »

Alex also said that he wants mercenaries to be available for hire in groups. If you could hire mercenaries as easily as you can s-mod hullmods, I imagine most people would hire mercs for all the ships. Though some still wouldn't, because s-mods don't count for difficulty XP bonus, but officers do...

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 01:22:26 AM »

Perhaps you don't need to spend 1 story point to hire a mercenary officer, having them rely on a "merc officer limit" like contacts. Players start with 2 or something and then can increase their limit by 1 story point each. However, renewing to keep the same one should cost a story point as it is.

Do you mean that the initial cost is just credits but then to keep them you need to pay story points? That sounds like players will be incentivised to fly around planets every cycle to pick up new mercenaries.

(A bit unrelated, but I'd also love to see a way to store officers, or "suspend them" like contacts. Sucks getting a god officer from salvaging at the start of a save and having its salary eat into income through the entirety of the early game.)

Officers and administrators too. Being able to store officers would allow players to change fleet styles much easier or just mess around to figure out what is best.
Maybe have a retainer fee to hold onto the officers, kinda like with the administrators but without a limit and then you could also make it so you can put mercenary officers on retainer after hiring them once.
I don’t really use mercenary officers because they’re a hassle to find when I want them especially if I want a particular combination of skills but if I can get them when I need them and know what skills they have beforehand, then I’m much more likely to use them.

Lortus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 06:22:35 PM »

Mercs are already so OP and encourage grinding for tons and tons of story points if you want to have the best fleet you can. I hope alex just removes mercs entirely. If a mechanic is broken and not fun what's the point of it being around.

I also agree that you should be able to store officers, which would solve the issue of respeccing the extra officer skill.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 12:15:43 PM »

I do not like mercs, though mainly as an excuse for the enemy fleets to have an officer in every ship for free like cores in Ordos fleets (i.e., officer spam).

Enemy has instant unlimited officers for free (even if human fleets do not have officers in every ship like Ordos do), while player is busy touring the sector like a rock band looking and paying for mercs to keep up.

I prefer to see mercs removed from the game entirely, if it means enemy fleets cannot use them (or equivalent officer limit breakers).