Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Colonization Help  (Read 836 times)

Kinsume

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Colonization Help
« on: January 25, 2023, 02:31:36 PM »

So came back to do another playthrough after a hiatus. Most notable mods i'm playing with are Nexerelin and Unknown Skies. Been mostly using a wolfpack fleet to mess around, advanced the storyline up to the special ship fight but haven't done it yet. Also somehow found 3 IV Legions which I have parked in Cornvus as well as 2 Paragons I happened to find for sale while Hyperion hunting. Currently sitting on a little over 7 million in credits and figure its time to try to colonize a system before Heg takes everything over. Problem I've come accross is that I've explored most of the systems in the map and nothing really jumps out at me as being too good. System I'm currently looking at is actually in the core.

Penelope's Star (9 planets)
   Volcanic (IV - 200% - Extreme Heat, Tectonic Activity, Thin Atmosphere, Ultrarich Ore, Rich Rare Ore)
   Desert (III - 125% - Habitable, Hot, Extreme Weather, Moderate Rare Ore)
   Barren-Bombarded (I - 175% - Hot, No Atmosphere, Sparse Ore)
   Barren-Bombarded (I - 200% - Low Gravity, Hot, No Atmosphere, Abundant Ore)
   Gas Giant (I - 150% - High Gravity, Abundant Volitiles)
   Barren (I - 175% - Low Gravity, No Atmosphere, Moderate Ore)
   Toxic (I - 200% - Extreme Cold, Toxic Atmosphere, Moderate Ore, Moderate Rare Ore)
   Gas Giant (I - 175% - High Gravity, Cold, Abundant Volitiles)
   Cryovolcanic (I - 200% - Extreme Cold, Tuetonic Activities, Poor Light, Diffuse Volitiles, Moderate Ore, Moderate Rare Ore)

Now I've found about 12 different items to add to planets to improve them, plus I have 4 Alpha cores I can use for admins, though I haven't really looked into them much. Just wondering if there is a way to make this system work for a starting system and what exactly I'd do in it to achive that. Ideally something self-sufficient. Never colonized the previous times I played and really don't want to mess anything up.

Sadly there isn't much else there I've seen system wise, even only looking for 2 planets.

Thanks

Edit :

So the planet improvements I have in storage are...
-Dealmaker Holosuit x1 (+50% colony income - Installed in Commerce)
-Hypershunt Trap x2 (+1 max industries when 10x transplutonic demand met - requires coronal tap within 10 LY - Installed on Population & Infrastructure)
-Cryoarithmetic Engine x1 (+25% fleet size on Hot, +100% fleet size on Extreme Heat - requires hot or extreme hot - Installed in Patrol HQ Military Base High Command)
-Plasma Dynmo x1 (+3 Volitiles production - requires gas giant - Installed in Mining)
-Biofactory Embryo x1 (+2 Light Industries - requires habitable - Installed in Light Industry)
-Combat Drone Replicator x1 (+1.5x colony ground defense - Installed in Ground Defense Heavy Batteries)
-Autonomous Mantle Bore x4 (+3 Ore, Organics and Transplutonic ore production - No gas giant, not habitable - Installed in Mining)
-Soil Nanites x2 (+2 faming production - no transplutonic ore deposits, no voltile deposits - Installed in Faming)
-Corrupted Nanoforge x4 (+20% ship/weapon production quality, +1 Heavy industry production - Installed in Heavy industry orbital works)
-Synchrotron Core x1 (+3 fuel production - Standalone station or no atmosphere - Installed in Fuel Production)
-Fullerene Spool x1 (+30% accessability - No gas giant, no extreme weather, no extreme tectonic - Installed in Spaceport / Megaport)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 03:15:14 PM by Kinsume »

WhisperDSP

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Colonization Help
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 04:53:50 PM »

A newbie’s take on Penelope (I’ve never played Nexrelin or Unknown Skies, don’t know if they add anything special):

Without farmland you’ll be forever importing food.
Without organics you’ll forever be importing organics for Light Industry.

Volcanic: mining with autonomous mantle bore, patrol hq > military hq > high command (don’t build them up too fast or you’ll be bleeding money) with cryoarithmetic engine., whatever else.

Desert: light industry with biofactory embryo, whatever else.

Barren-bombarded x2: nah.

Gas giant: mining with plasma dynamo, heavy industry > orbital works with nanoforge, whatever else.

Barren: fuel production with synchnotron core (money-spinner), refining, heavy industry > orbital works with nanoforge, commercial with dealmaker holosuite. This is the money-making world so add the fullerine spool for better access (the low-gravity helps that too).

Toxic, gas giant, cryovolcanic: nah.

“Whatever else” options:

Volcanic: commerce, heavy industry > orbital works with nanoforge (only if you want bigger production).

Desert: commerce, mining, nothing much else (perhaps patrol hq > military hq).

Gas giant: commerce, nothing much else (perhaps patrol hq > military hq).

I guess stick with low-key defense on all, though maybe build a bit more on the volcanic hq and barren money-spinner so that they're not easily raided.

Personally I’d consider a different nearby system for the desert planet, with actual farmland and no rare ore. Then food with soil nanites would be in-faction. Organics as well with mining would be a plus.

Kinsume

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 06:33:56 PM »

So the closest planet with even farmland avalible is on a lifeless planet 18 LY away from the Penelope.

Xaphobok
   Lifeless: (V - 175% - Widespread Ruins, Rich Farmland, Ultrarich Rare Ores, Moderate Ores, Abundant Organics, Extreme Weather, Hot, High Gravity, Habitable)
   Desert : (II - 175% - Decivilized, Widespread Ruins, Rich Ore Deposits, Thin Atmosphere, Hot)

Idk if my sector is just unlucky with the generation but I don't have many options.

WhisperDSP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 07:55:24 PM »

I’m thinking the next option is to check out what’s near the Cryosleeper’s and see if there’s anything which will work within the nearest 4-5 star system cluster.

Not a Pirate

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 03:22:57 AM »

I'm not an expert at this game from doing a massive amount of testing and code examination, but having said that I don't ever have problems with colonies due to an inbuilt ability to make money.   What can I say...I'm a born capitalist...

Here is what you have to remember; getting a good system going (and you need a good SYSTEM if you are going to resist incoming attacks without having to baby-sit your colonies for ever), what you need is a place that will be able to supply itself.

4-5 planets/moons (preferably in a tight orbit so their respective fleets can aid another colony in less that 30 seconds) with 1 colony having food and organics.   The mining usually takes care of itself and if you have a super hot world (and a cryo engine) then, cool.

All planets should have light industry (it's the vanilla cash cow) and one should have commerce (even just for you to sell things yourself).   Also, you don't need to load every plant full, a high hazard world can break even or profit from mining and refining and nothing more.   Just make sure you have good defenses (which aid stability) and you'll be golden in the mid-to-long term.

Kinsume

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 11:56:18 PM »

So I ended up starting another playthrough, couple different mods. Most notably I'm not using Nex in this one as things just got too chaotic and I actually want to experiment with colonization. I've managed to find what I think is a good canidate, Tri asked me to go scout out a Terran world and lead me to a gem of a system. Haven't explored around it much yet, but here is what I'm looking at.

Shedim, White Dwarf

Planet 1 : Desertic (225%, +3 Rare Ore, +0 Ore, Thin Atmosphere, Extreme Heat, High Gravity)
Planet 2 : Terran (75%, +2 Farming, +0 Moderate Ore, +1 Organics, Habitable)
Planet 3 : Gas Giant (225%, +0 Volitiles, Extreme Weather, Dense Atmosphere, High Gravity)
Planet 4 : Rocky Unstable (225%, Widespread Ruins, -1 Rare Ore, +2 Rich Ore, No Atmosphere, Extreme Tectonic Activity, Low Gravity)
Planet 5 : Frozen World (150%, -1 Rare Ore, -1 Ore, +2 Volitiles, Extreme Cold)

3x Stable Locations

As far as I can tell its got what I need, the run is still early on so I haven't done a ton of exploring in the galaxy so not sure what planet improvement pieces I'll find along the way.

WhisperDSP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 01:17:58 AM »

For improvement pieces: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=23546.0

Or wait until I complete the prelim testing of my one.