Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question to pros: how can I play this campaign?  (Read 860 times)

torvon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Question to pros: how can I play this campaign?
« on: February 05, 2023, 01:45:02 PM »

Hi folks,

I really enjoy the star sector combat and trading, but not really the planet management. Any mod combination you can recommend that allows a playthrough focused on combat and trading and exploration, but not on base or city or planet building and governing?

Cheers
 Torvon

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Question to pros: how can I play this campaign?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 01:53:09 PM »

Don't even need a mod for that, just take a commission with someone and make sure to pick up a high-rated contact or two to cover ship construction using your accumulated blueprints.

...Or I suppose you could also just sell all your blueprints on the black market instead of learning them, and then loot ships/weapons off the pirates? That could probably work too.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Nick9

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 10:52:58 PM »

As said, no need for mods for real, but you could explore Mods section by yourself (or watch some Rarr videos, he roleplays and usually leaves mod list in the description).
Joining any faction (by comission) is a good alternative, but colony management also isn't that... hard, idk. Your deficits are covered automatically anyway, but you could help by adding another one colony which produces resources that first one needs.

Void Ganymede

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 03:03:09 AM »

There's also middle ground. Do combat, but occasionally drop tech mining/farming outposts that you don't maintain.

Kinsume

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 11:59:22 PM »

Hi folks,

I really enjoy the star sector combat and trading, but not really the planet management. Any mod combination you can recommend that allows a playthrough focused on combat and trading and exploration, but not on base or city or planet building and governing?

Cheers
 Torvon

If you've ever played mount & blade warband then this game has a very similar feel, albiet in space. You're not necessarily required to colonize and build your own system, ultimately you can play however you'd like. The missions are constantly generated and with bounties there is always a way to make money outside of having the passive income from planets. I've personally done several playthroughs now and have yet to do any colonization, though that is what I plan on doing next.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 01:09:01 AM »

Seriously investing into a colony is actually net negative until 5 or more years in, and that's after you find a decent spot. I colonise nowadays mainly for the shipyards and to have a storage of my own.

WhisperDSP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 07:54:24 AM »

* shipyards
* fuel/supplies at cost
* own-faction contacts

And eventually:

* tech mining

Though after a certain point the extra income from upgraded planets becomes pointless. And yeah they are very expensive to build up.