Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Minor Emergency Burn QoL Tweak  (Read 332 times)

Sly

• Commander
  • Afflicionado
    • View Profile
Minor Emergency Burn QoL Tweak
« on: January 25, 2023, 01:08:11 PM »

About half the time I use Emergency Burn I don't really need it to last for the whole duration. If I had the ability to shut it down early by pressing my Emergency Burn Hotkey again, returning my fleet to 'standard' burn, it'd be a happy convenience. In this way, I could begin restoring Combat Readiness earlier or quickly reduce my Sensor Profile with much tighter timing, in order to attempt to shake hostiles.

What I'm not suggesting is that the cooldown for E.B. be altered at all - the procedure should still require the same amount of downtime to execute again, whether or not you cancel it early. Could pull some hotshot maneuvers more easily, but not cheese 'micro-burns' that could result from altering the cooldown. I'm pretty sure no-one would want to eat that kind of CR loss without the Industry skill, though. Moot point, anyway.

Thoughts?

Bulletkin

• Ensign
  • Now it's into the void, now me girls and me boys~
    • View Profile
Re: Minor Emergency Burn QoL Tweak
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 01:24:01 PM »

Sounds solid enough. Cooldown should probably be increased by the number of seconds it would've remained on for if not cancelled early. I'm backing this idea.
(your local Secrets of the Frontier fanboy)

...From Mother's hands, we go. We'll be sailing to the sun 'till the voyage is done, then we'll be sleeping in the cold below~

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 01:38:28 PM »

TBH I don't think it really matters whether the time between EB starts is the same or not.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 03:09:50 PM »

Needs one more minor tweak: a very short (quarter of a second, maybe?) minimum duration, so that if you're desperately spamming EB to try and get it active the instant it's off cooldown, it doesn't turn on and then instantly turn off again.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 05:43:56 PM »

Needs one more minor tweak: a very short (quarter of a second, maybe?) minimum duration, so that if you're desperately spamming EB to try and get it active the instant it's off cooldown, it doesn't turn on and then instantly turn off again.

This would be really good for the burn drive system too. I don’t know how many times I’ve been trying to spam it and end up immediately cancelling it.

Sly

• Commander
  • Afflicionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 06:35:13 PM »

TBH I don't think it really matters whether the time between EB starts is the same or not.

I agree in principle. The reason I advocate for no change is because with the campaign and sandbox expanding, I figured it might be easier on Alex if changes are more minute. Unless he says otherwise, of course.

Needs one more minor tweak: a very short (quarter of a second, maybe?) minimum duration.

Good idea. That's necessary if this change is made.