Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I f****ing give up, please help with CTD  (Read 342 times)

Maroon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
I f****ing give up, please help with CTD
« on: January 21, 2023, 09:51:40 PM »

So I had been playing for a while with a bunch of mods of off Nexus and the game ran fine. I found this site and the mod index and added more mods, only the ones specifically listed as compatible with the current version. Suddenly it was constant crashes to desktop, but not even with the decency of doing it within the first 10 minutes so I'm not wasting my time. Just randomly after a few hours it'll freeze; sounds still works in the background and mouse can move but everything else is stuck and clicking around eventually gives me a "not responding" message. With the exception of it always freezing on the battle map, the how and why is seemingly random and extremely inconsistent. I thought I had it zeroed in on one because I had the save right before the encounter causing the crash and it always crashed right as one of the enemy ships (AI drone) deployed green flares but that got me nowhere.

Things I've tried:
Completely reinstalled Starsector
Completely removed all Nexus mods and replaced them with forum versions
Discovered that Tahlan Shipworks conflicted with Industrial Evolution, so disabled Tahlan
Increased memory in vmparams to 6k
Added permsize 512 line to vmparams
Reinstalled java twice
Run it in compatibility mode for windows 8 and xp
Run it as administrator

It's not my hardware. I spent 2500 bucks on my computer and everything is high end and brand new.

I'm getting tired of getting invested in a playthrough only to have it derailed at random after hours. I can't even test if it's a mod doing this because removing a mod causes compatibility issues and makes a save unplayable so, rather than loading a save right before a battle that causes a crash and testing mods one at a time there, I have to start a whole new game and potentially wait hours for a crash.

I've got a folder of the zip files for the mods I have installed, the current crashing save (fly a little "south" and there will be a bounty target that causes the crash), and a log file here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NH3Z3PFT0c5yXk_aeXuiTqVU8iCs6op1?usp=sharing

I'm at my wit's end with this so any ideas would be appreciated.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: I f****ing give up, please help with CTD
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 03:53:14 AM »

Try updating Exotica Technologies mod first. 1.2.11 had the hanging issue but it looks like it's been fixed for a week now (latest version 1.2.16 is five days old).

Maroon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 08:24:47 AM »

Try updating Exotica Technologies mod first. 1.2.11 had the hanging issue but it looks like it's been fixed for a week now (latest version 1.2.16 is five days old).
Yup, that ended up being it. thanks. I had downloaded it so recently I didn't think it already had a new version.

Got a new problem now though, I keep getting "NullPointerException: null" whenever I try to do a raid. So far it's only happened on Academy missions and I have to reload a save and complete the mission an alternate way. It tells me the raid was a success, tells me the casualties and experience gained, but hitting continue just pops up the null over and over again. Any idea what that's about?

Edit: I should probably add I've done these missions before on this same playthrough and changed nothing in the meantime so I don't know why it started causing issues now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 08:29:59 AM by Maroon »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 05:22:30 PM »

I think the Academy raid one is a bug with Crew Replacer, should be fixed in dev but dunno when an update will be released. In the meantime you'll just have to pay the ransom.