Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Save files from windows to linux.  (Read 574 times)

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile
Save files from windows to linux.
« on: January 21, 2023, 01:16:00 AM »

Hi guys,

I recently got a steam deck, I decided to run the linux version with virtually the same files of the windows version however even though all is functioning, the saves from my windows do not work. I have mods but wanted to know if something changes between linux and windows since the only thing i changed in the files is resolution overide.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Save files from windows to linux.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 05:42:48 PM »

Doesn't work in what way? Does it just not appear in the list?
After opening the save/load menu, starsector.log will report if it failed to show a save file and why.

If it has an error on trying to load a particular save, post the log as well.

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 10:41:48 PM »

it has an error when trying all saves. Where do I find the error log?
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 10:50:58 PM »

Doesn't work in what way? Does it just not appear in the list?
After opening the save/load menu, starsector.log will report if it failed to show a save file and why.

If it has an error on trying to load a particular save, post the log as well.

it loads all about halfway and gives an exception error. Saves made on the linux version are fine and functional.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 02:39:58 AM »

On Windows the log file is starsector-core/starsector.log (may just appear as 'starsector' if file extensions are hidden)

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 03:09:47 PM »

This is my error log. Hopefully it can provide insight. https://file.io/IQUiQIGqAgkO Tried all 3 saves.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 03:15:23 PM by Flacman3000 »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 05:11:20 PM »

Is it supposed to say "The transfer you requested has been deleted"?

(Try Google Drive or Dropbox if you can't get this particular host to work)

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 02:55:12 PM »

https://temp.sh/sPYuo/starsector.log im an idiot sorry about that man

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 04:53:59 PM »

Caused by: com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CannotResolveClassException: com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.g
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.DefaultMapper.realClass(DefaultMapper.java:81)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:125)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.DynamicProxyMapper.realClass(DynamicProxyMapper.java:55)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:125)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.PackageAliasingMapper.realClass(PackageAliasingMapper.java:88)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.ClassAliasingMapper.realClass(ClassAliasingMapper.java:79)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.ArrayMapper.realClass(ArrayMapper.java:74)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.SecurityMapper.realClass(SecurityMapper.java:71)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CachingMapper.realClass(CachingMapper.java:47)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.HierarchicalStreams.readClassType(HierarchicalStreams.java:29)

It might be some mod that's accessing an obsfucated class, since the names differ between operating systems. Unfortunately there's no way to figure out which mod is doing it, and fixing it user-side is possible (go into campaign.xml and rename the class) but sounds like a pain. :-X

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 12:56:58 AM »

Caused by: com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CannotResolveClassException: com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.g
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.DefaultMapper.realClass(DefaultMapper.java:81)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.DynamicProxyMapper.realClass(DynamicProxyMapper.java:55)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.PackageAliasingMapper.realClass(PackageAliasingMapper.java:88)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.ClassAliasingMapper.realClass(ClassAliasingMapper.java:79)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.ArrayMapper.realClass(ArrayMapper.java:74)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.SecurityMapper.realClass(SecurityMapper.java:71)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CachingMapper.realClass(CachingMapper.java:47)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.HierarchicalStreams.readClassType(HierarchicalStreams.java:29)

It might be some mod that's accessing an obsfucated class, since the names differ between operating systems. Unfortunately there's no way to figure out which mod is doing it, and fixing it user-side is possible (go into campaign.xml and rename the class) but sounds like a pain. :-X

No kidding man. But I'm determined to make my experience seamless so how would I go about it? It might help someone else out. Do I rename it exactly as described in the log? How do I know which ones to rename, I assume I can simplify this by using the find function and editing all entries for each once I know what to edit. Thanks for giving me hope and insight!

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 05:24:06 PM »

Forgot to reply earlier, but:
You'd need to find instances of "com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.g" in the campaign .xml (and if it's aliased, you'd need to go digging in the source to find the alias, in order to identify instances of 'g'). Then you'd need to figure out what 'g' should be named instead, which also requires looking at source (probably both the Windows and Linux obsfucated .jars).

I'm far too sleepy and lazy to even think of attempting this, so you're on your own. :-X