Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tachyon Lance vs. High Intensity Laser  (Read 17433 times)

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
Tachyon Lance vs. High Intensity Laser
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:46:15 AM »

Tachyon Lance has superb range, EMP damage, but takes much more OP, is rare, and has theoretical lower DPS. High Intensity Laser can shoot forever, effectively negating the venting of beam damage, while Tachyon Lance has to shoot and charge again.

Which one do you think is the best?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Tachyon Lance vs. High Intensity Laser
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:51:18 AM »

tachyon lance is a sniper. HIL is a support weapon. Those are two completley different roles.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:56:18 AM »

tachyon lance is a sniper. HIL is a support weapon. Those are two completley different roles.
Yeah, I think I asked the wrong question, there is no "best weapon" here. I just would like to know, given a large energy slot, what would people use more often, the sniper, or the support weapon ;)

And, let's not forget about something very important - Tachyon Lance is purple. It's like a better phase beam (which by the way, I find inferior to Gravitation Beam, sadly :( )!

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 06:09:18 AM »

Yeah, I think I asked the wrong question, there is no "best weapon" here. I just would like to know, given a large energy slot, what would people use more often, the sniper, or the support weapon ;)

And, let's not forget about something very important - Tachyon Lance is purple. It's like a better phase beam (which by the way, I find inferior to Gravitation Beam, sadly :( )!
Sniper. Range is almost as important as damage, and the range on that is godly enough to pick off a good 3rd or so off a big fleet in the first few moments of the battle, not to mention being an insane anti fighter weapon (set one as your target and swing the lance back and forth between the wing, they'll suffer flameouts, lose fighters and be very badly hit)
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 07:14:57 AM »

Im not great with sniping enemies i cant mouselook far enough to see, but the high intensity laser i despise both in function and appearance, so the tachyon lance has to win. They both pale in comparison to the new autopulse laser with expanded mags though.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 08:17:11 AM »

target the enemy then press Z to see them  ;)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »

that does help quite a bit, though i managed to flame out my own conquest because i didnt notice it was in the huge void between me and the target

Sörre

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 08:49:18 AM »

Put the Tachyon laser in a turret and set it to autofire, is a monster weapon when you got a elite crew.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 09:12:24 AM »

Currently I still think the Tachyon Lance is superior. It turns faster, cuts throe armor like its paper and has only 50 less damage/second then the HIL.

HIL needs a turning speed boost in my opinion, get it on par with the Tachyon Lance. HIL does not prevent beam damage venting, it is subject to beam damage venting, thats the point of being a beam weapon.

I don't find either weapon more rare, currently it seems just random chance. With perhaps the Tachyon Lance being more common due it it being fitted on every paragon.

Both weapons are support, but the Lance can also snipe fighters very easily. The HIL just feels underpowered if you compare the two, which is probably the point if you compare point cost.

If you have to points to field a Tachyon Lance then you don't need the HIL, if you can't then you are better off with Autopulse Lasers.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 09:55:46 AM »

I'm talking of what I know from 0.51.a here cuz I couldn't get a tachyon lance for the life o' me

Tachyon lance

Pros

-Bloody cheap when it comes to Flux
-A possible range of 5000...Is nuts
-Damage per salvo is 1300~

Cons

-Very slow turning rate
-Needs to recharge after each shot
-Costs A TON of credits to aquire

Meanwhile on HIL the only time I used it it felt like an overgrown Graviton Beam, only costing more OP

Sarkovar

• Ensign
  • Oh god it's so beautiful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 10:03:45 AM »

Sniper. Range is almost as important as damage, and the range on that is godly enough to pick off a good 3rd or so off a big fleet in the first few moments of the battle, not to mention being an insane anti fighter weapon (set one as your target and swing the lance back and forth between the wing, they'll suffer flameouts, lose fighters and be very badly hit)
Yes, I've learned that the best way to utilize the Tachyon Lance is to swing it around like some medieval knight with a broadsword. Having two on the front of a Paragon generally means that anything that dares to mess with you will die with the tachyon lance being the last thing they ever see. I have never been able to say the same about the HIL, as hydre said it feels more like an overgrown gravitron beam than a death ray.
The Interstellar Federation: Laser free since '83. (except for the Jardain)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 10:38:46 AM »

Mounted in a turret, with the AI in control the Tachyon Lance is the best anti-fighter PD in the game.

Odyssey with 3 of them == True Love.

defry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 03:05:20 PM »

When i placed two tachyon lances in my paragons large side turrets, it basically wiped out all the opposing fighters, and even frigates with weak shield generators. Its ability to do good EMP damage allows it to take out  the weapons and engines of larger ships.
So to answer the question, i'd rather use the lance.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 03:17:51 PM »

it basically wiped out all the opposing fighters, and even frigates with weak shield generators.
My friend, the lance can do MUCH MORE than that. I snipe off with one lance cruisers or cause severe damage.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »

Tachyon Lightsaber is the term we're looking for, I think. They can shoot down missile waves.
That would make a Paragon with 4 Lances General Grievous?  ;D
One thing I hate- if I want to field the Lance, I have to bring nothing but fighters. Hooray for losing 2 tempests in the same battle to my own guns (they were the only casualties).
Pages: [1] 2 3