Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: About Shield Shunt... and more armor and guns.  (Read 7259 times)

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: About Shield Shunt... and more armor and guns.
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2022, 09:22:37 AM »

What's a shield worth in OP cost?
With shields, player needs more flux, and being closer to flux neutral is important.  Also, ship needs enough capacity, so it does not turn chicken so quickly then try to run away.
The Idea of OP price -1 for Shield shunt is this:
Lets have a base hull with engine, then add a shield >> how much OP is it ?
Lets have a base hull  with engine, then add extra plating (Shield Shunt ) >> how much OP is it?
----------------
Current prices for cruiser are:
Shield  = ShieldShunt+  7 OP
Current Shield price cost is 7 less than Shield price !!! i.e. it is cheaper. Better technology, cheaper ?

All space ships use the shield as a form of base game system of flux. I can understand the designer wants most ships use it. Fine, then make shield shunt as  a form of "pirate_style_maintenace". Remove system from ship, which makes it less suitable for long fight, but gives speed (with elite helmsman) and  extra OP back to fit in more weapons. Which turns ship into a kamikaze style  usage. Someone also recomeded Rugged construction as part of ShieldShunt packet, yes please. It fits.

I think new ShieldShunt could look like this:
+ 15% armor
- 15% maintenance
Rugged construction
- 2 OP (ie. you RECIVE two OP when use shield shunt)
RP Story to this tech: Notoriously poor pirate maintenance introduced a backward technology. Use sledgehammer to smash all delicate electronics controlling shields to save maintenance, then use the same tool to fit cheap metal plates founded on other ships to defend yours.With duct tape and sledgehammer you can fix anything.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 10:42:50 AM by gG_pilot »

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2022, 09:28:00 AM »

Alternatively, shield shunt could use the new ablative armor idea Invictus has. Make it add a lot of extra armor, but reduce the damage reduction from it. I believe the original problem with the strong shield shunt was that armor is a very binary mechanic - having a lot of it can make ships almost invincible, while having just a little doesn't do anything at all.

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2022, 09:43:54 AM »

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 01:13:07 PM by gG_pilot »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2022, 09:49:29 AM »

But that mechanic will be in the next update regardless?
Please don't take me too seriously.

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2023, 05:07:51 AM »

Shield shunt should work like the new dreadnaught Luddic Church is getting in the next update. Armor value gets super increased but armor doesn't protect as much. So ships can rely on armor to protect themselves even in the long run yet still get some hull damage, since there is a skill to repair hull damage it would compliment to this playstyle I think.

Edit:I didn't realize someone else has already suggested what I'm saying. Sorry about that.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2023, 02:36:45 PM »

Adding a lot of ablative armour sounds good and fits the hullmod better than the other suggestions. x2 or x3 armour amount would be acceptable that way. More EMP resistance would be welcomed too and reducing or removing the OP sounds good too since the loss of shields is a major cost.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2023, 02:29:24 PM »

Making the shield shunt armor boost being ablative-like in nature sounds like a good way to make it work without being oppresive like before i agree. I do hope that if it becomes like that the original armor that is supposed to be under it is not also turned into ablative too because i doubt that shield shunt is going to give you that much armor to justify it.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2023, 06:23:49 PM »

I disagree with the ablative armor idea. Lore-wise you're talking about stripping all the armor off the ship and replacing it which is far more radical than just turning the shields off.

Gameplay-wise it's eliminating a whole design style. Could you imagine if we replaced builds with super high shield efficiency (0.5 or so) with some other kind of shield that feels less powerful? Maybe a shield that has 1/3 normal flux cap but can't overload?

On second thought that sounds like a cool idea, but I digress. We want to have the maximum number of design styles, not less of them. I'm not opposed to a hullmod that swaps normal armor for ablative armor but shield shunt shouldn't do that.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2023, 07:44:48 PM »

To clarify what I mean by ablative armour is not to give the ship the same ablative armour hullmod as the Invictus. I mean to multiply the armour it has by 2~3 and then divide armour effectiveness by the same amount. This way the damage reduction from armour is kept the same but it lasts a lot longer.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2023, 12:57:59 PM »

I thought it was that the bonus armor that it gives is ablative.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2023, 01:41:02 PM »

To clarify what I mean by ablative armour is not to give the ship the same ablative armour hullmod as the Invictus. I mean to multiply the armour it has by 2~3 and then divide armour effectiveness by the same amount. This way the damage reduction from armour is kept the same but it lasts a lot longer.
That's also what I meant. Otherwise it'd be straight nerf. It needs to be tested and balanced.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2023, 02:06:29 PM »

I thought it was that the bonus armor that it gives is ablative.
I am not sure what you mean. In this case we are talking about adding more armor without making it better. This different to what ablative armor means is real life which is armor that absorbs rather than prevents damage. In that sense, all starsector armor acts as ablative armor.
Do you mean like just the 15% or so added armor is multiplied with reduced effectiveness? That's possible but it would be really annoying to do and explain and doesn't seem like it is worthwhile.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2023, 02:14:47 PM »

I'm also thinking that there should be a slightly larger bonus for ships with more efficient shields. Like maybe the EMP resistance scales with shield efficiency.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]