Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: What could be done with Safety Overrides  (Read 5526 times)

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What could be done with Safety Overrides
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2023, 02:20:09 AM »

I actually thought people either don't use SO, use or just for the flagship, or go all in on it.

Certainly the Pathers like to go whole-hog with it. And if they get to do it...

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2023, 02:52:32 AM »

Don't most of your hands free(no flagship) Ordo farming fleets have SO cruisers? And these fleets fight several Ordo at a time, padding the battle length? Not to mention Ordo aren't exactly the most normal of enemy fleets?

Yes I did test out SO cruisers for Ordos fleets, and sometimes without using a flagship. This was mostly right after the last update. However, they weren't that effective (too slow at overall kill rate and/or died too easily), and never got to the point of farming (i.e. relying on them repeatedly to gain XP or cores) because they were simply too inconsistent. Also, they relied on Omega weapons; for example, the SO Apogees used Cryoblasters and AMSRMs. (Side factoid: For the SO Apogee, the Cryoblaster did about as much damage overall as the Plasma Cannon, but with less flux used and costs about half the OP. So it basically meant an extra 14 OP.) The fleets I test now are much better (i.e. much faster at killing Ordos fleets), and they don't use SO nor Omega weapons. They would obviously work much better if I assumed Omega weapons in my current testing. That's why I say SO isn't that effective, since I've tried building fleets for farming (able to handle Ordos fleets without dying in a time-efficient manner) with and without it.

I ended up deciding that no-flagship fighting just isn't worth it. Yes it's doable, but you're at the mercy of an inconsistent and often incompetent AI, so the success rate was never that great. Plus it's not like I could really AFK it, since if I did, I would have no idea what went wrong on the (many) times when some ship died or whatever. So in practice I had to stay there to keep an eye on things anyway. At which point, I might as well as just pilot a flagship. It was interesting to put all 15 skill points into fleet skills and not have to worry about personal combat skills though, but in the end it was better to just have a human there directing combat. So most of my Ordos farming or testing (whether SO or not) is with a flagship.

Any argument based on modded content is worthless. Not that "Please balance the game around this one extremely niche self-imposed challenge that doesn't really have any practical purpose in the game" is a good argument in the first place.

Granted, SpeedUp is a mod, but I'm not aware of it actually changing any combat mechanics in a significant way, other than obviously running the fights faster. No idea what you mean by the second sentence, my point was that SO fights are much more intense while non-SO fights are much more sedate -- so much so that they could be sped up without loss of player effectiveness. It's a different playstyle which some players prefer.

What's with the trend of deflecting single arguments and saying "that could be said about anything". Like where are you trying to go with such conversation even...

Because those comments are devoid of substance. There's no fact or data or reason or logic being presented to persuade or in support of a position. It's just hurling empty perojatives without actually making a concrete point of contention. Nobody's going to say in response to "Puppies are cancer" "Oh that's a great point, you've changed my mind, yeah we really need to figure out what to do about puppies". If you can just substitute another noun in there and the sentence still makes sense, then chances are, there's not much substantive content in it.

And instead of asking multiple times where are the convincing arguments, you can look in this very thread where most people said getting 2x dissipation is dumb. Are players really that dependent on this hullmod where they can't see it getting changed? Hell you could still have an arcadey assassin fast playstyle, but maybe without braking the laws of the game. We're here trying to discuss a single hullmod that DOUBLES your firepower, and you can get every more crazy with skills and vents.

Safety Overrides doesn't really double your flux dissipation in practical terms, because it takes the place of OP that would otherwise go into vents. And analysis of the flux effects without considering its effect on weapon range and PPT is woefully incomplete, since that's a heavy cost attached to its benefit.

If you want the saddest example, look at Hyperion. A ship that's gimped without SO, and becomes a monster with it. For all you "uhm it's actually high risk" and "but but it doesn't work in harder fights", there are videos of a fleet of just SO Hyperions killing the hardest fight in vanilla game, where they player doesn't even pilot a ship, just gives commands. Now tell me again those same things from before and how it's healthy for the game.
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Yes, the SO Hyperion, the poster child of SO. An extreme outlier (since you only pay frigate-level cost in OP to gain cruiser-level flux, and since its shipsystem needs either SO or elite Helmsmanship to take full advantage of -- almost always SO, and thus very much at a disadvantage without it), and even so, the videos show the Hyperions dying left and right. 3 of 14 ships dying against Doritos and 5 of 12 ships dying against the unique bounty is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

For the second video, not only did he have to retreat a Hyperion otherwise it would've died, but he completed it only by burning through the Hyperions' CR; one of them even got down to 13% CR by the end of battle, which was over 10 minutes long. I said directly that SO's main issue is that its benefit lasts too long, and that CR degradation takes too long to kick in since SO currently doesn't affect CR degradation, so it should also degrade CR by a factor of 3. You said faster CR decay wouldn't solve the issue. Yet you point to a video which was possible only because SO does not affect CR degradation; the non-flagship Hyperions all had CR's between 13% and 51% at the end of battle, so all of them would have zeroed out in CR before the halfway point if SO affected CR degradation the way it does PPT. So the video actually demonstrates my point that SO lasts too long and that it could be fixed by having it also affect CR decay, and directly counters your claim that faster CR decay won't solve the issue.

(As a side note, I'm not sure if the guy was fighting full Ordos fleets from an undamaged Nexus or from a damaged Nexus, and I'm not sure if that makes a difference. The average full Ordos fleet from an undamaged Nexus runs around 386 DP or so, and averages around 42% alphas, but the fleet looks like it had a lot of gammas in there. 1131 DP would've been 3 smaller-than-average full Ordos fleets, and would have averaged 5 Radiants, but he collected 5 Ordos fleets and a Fragment and only got 3 Radiants with a lot of frigates. Hyperions obviously excel at chasing down frigates.)

2)Maximum range is traded for more flux (both instantaneously and over the course of the fight) and speed.

I'll expand on this more but I'll touch on this briefly. The way Combat Endurance and Hardened Subsystems work is that they multiply the rate of CR decay by 0.75. This means that if you have one or the other, the rate of CR decay goes from 1% every 4 seconds to 1% every 4/0.75 = 5.333 seconds. If you have both, then the rate of CR decay goes to 1% every 4/0.75/0.75 = 7.111 seconds. This can be checked in the simulator. So going from 100% CR to 40% CR actually takes 60*7.111 = 427 seconds. Yeah, over 7 minutes before having to worry about malfunctions, even after PPT wears out (which gives another minute or two even for low PPT ships like the Hyperion).

So even though SO's description makes it sound like the ship is in fighting form for only 1/3 of the time, in reality for the Hyperion (which with Wolfpack, CE, and Crew Training would have a base of 300 seconds), it goes from non-SO of 300 + 427 = 727 seconds, to SO of 100 + 427 = 527 seconds, to get from start to 40% CR. So you really only lose about 28% of the usable time. And then it doesn't really cost anything to stick around after that, as long as the Hyperion doesn't die (since its CR will zero out after that anyway, since it costs 40% per deployment which isn't taken away until after combat).

The main drawback of SO is its weapon range reduction. That cannot be separated from its flux dissipation bonus in its analysis. The weapon range reduction means that there is a period of time when the ship is closing in, where the ship will be taking damage from enemy ships but not dealing any damage in return (other than missiles). This means the ship will be starting its combat with some hard flux, or armor/hull damage. The hard flux basically means less flux available to use. So SO effectively means higher flux dissipation, but smaller flux capacity.

That smaller flux capacity isn't going to matter much against early fleets, but becomes critical against endgame fleets which do a lot of damage quickly. Hence SO falls off in effectiveness later on anyway, which is why I don't think it needs any fundamental changes (other than stuff like change to CR decay).

I can illustrate this by a screenshot from one of my Ordos test fights. In this case I'm in my flagship Onslaught XIV, and the fleet is Champion spam with Squalls, HVDs, and HILs (and tac lasers). The Squalls have a range of 2500. The others have a range of 1550 (they have ITU and GI, but no AO). For reference, the smaller yellow weapon half-circle around my ship is the 1000-range Proximity Charge Launchers, and the purple weapon arc are my Light Needlers with BRF, which makes their base range 900, so with ITU and GI, makes their range 1575.

The Brilliants have different weapons with different ranges, of course, but let's say they do a lot of damage at 700 base range (i.e. Autopulse and Plasma range, along with Heavy Needler), or a range of 1085.

So in this case, from a range of 2500 to a range of 1550, the Brilliants take Squall spam. From a range of 1550 to 1085, the Brilliants take Squall spam and HVD spam (plus HIL + tac lasers if their shields go down). For the most part (unless they have Tachyons or HVD), they don't really start doing damage until they close in to 1085 range. Also, since they're streaming in while my fleet is already set up in a U-formation around the spawn, my fleet can focus fire on them.

Thus from the screenshot, it's obvious that only the forward 3 Brilliants are actually dealing damage to my fleet, while the bulk of my fleet can be dealing damage to them. This matches my observation previously regarding Conquest spam using long range weapons -- the weapon range means that I'm only dealing with about 1/3 of their fleet, while I'm able to make use of the bulk of my weapons. That's what makes these types of fleets so successful; using the longer-range HIL on the Champion was much better than the Plasma Cannon, even though the Plasma Cannon has higher DPS on paper and does hard flux.

For SO, the situation is reversed. My fleet's weapon range is basically half of the Proximity Charge Launcher's range. As I close in, then, my fleet would be subjected to the bulk of the enemy fleet's fire. If they all went in together then they could spread out the damage, but that never happens in practice. So I end up with some ships more in front, taking a lot of fire, then having to back off to dissipate flux, then other ships in front, etc., which dilutes my fleet's fighting strength. At any given point, there are a number of ships backing off for flux. Thus, even though in principle there's a lot of flux available to use on each ship, in practice a lot of that goes into absorbing damage and not dealing damage to enemy ships.

So I've found that long range builds work much better than SO builds when it comes to fighting harder battles. The ships don't take as much damage, so they can stay at the front lines longer and more of their flux goes into killing enemy ships.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2023, 03:15:51 AM »

Safety Overrides doesn't really double your flux dissipation in practical terms, because it takes the place of OP that would otherwise go into vents. And analysis of the flux effects without considering its effect on weapon range and PPT is woefully incomplete, since that's a heavy cost attached to its benefit.
If you're using SO on ships that have zero vents then you're doing something wrong. You save OP on cheaper DPS weapons and hullmods that you now don't need since SO gives so much. 2 Heavy Blasters is much much cheaper on OP than an usual high tech build with more mounts filled. And so are Chainguns and HMGs.

Then you also don't need any range enhancing hullmods, nothing for speed or maneuverability, turret turn rate, and probably a few others. This is all being saved by simply installing SO. And sure some ships will be more hungry for OP depending on their mount layout, but most don't care.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2023, 09:50:19 AM »

If you're using SO on ships that have zero vents then you're doing something wrong.
There is a vast difference between "zero vents" and "not maxed vents". A good SO build will often not have maxed flux vents - depending on the hull, this is either because you don't need a dissipation rate higher than your weapon flux generation, or in many cases, because SO ate most of your OP and you just didn't have enough. (SO frigates and destroyers, in particular, will likely still need a significant investment into capacitors, for just one example.)

Also, cruiser-grade ITU still makes a significant difference even on an SO-using ship. Do you absolutely need it? No, but it helps a surprising amount, particularly for AI use. (I'd tend to agree that you don't want ITU on SO-using destroyers or frigates, though. But often you don't want ITU on those even without SO, so that's not really saving you anything.)

Similarly, stacking Unstable Injector on top of SO can be really good for some ships.

...And SO does nothing to help with turret turn rate, so I'm not quite sure why you listed that as something that SO makes you 'not need'. If anything, you'd need more turn rate on your turrets if you expect them to be tracking enemies that are close rather than far away.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2023, 09:52:56 AM »

Vanshilar wording sounds like SO is so expensive you can't afford vents at all.

ITU seems like wasted OP on SO ships. Fair point about Unstable Injector.

You don't really care about turn rate when your effective range is basically melee.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2023, 10:08:09 AM »

You don't really care about turn rate when your effective range is basically melee.
Mathematically, that's backwards. If your guns are turning to track a target that's moving past you at a fixed speed, how fast they need to turn will actually increase the closer that target is.

(Now, there may be other considerations that make it so you, personally, care less about turret turn rate? Maybe you're assuming that all of your main guns will be focused forwards and never need to turn and shoot at fighters or something? But as an overall general declaration, I don't think it pans out.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2023, 12:45:38 PM »

I guess the fundamental question I'd ask is, is it reasonable to be trading a campaign level resource/issue (i.e. grinding for credits via trade, carrying enough supplies, repair time to get CR back up) for a significant in combat power buff out of proportion for the OP spent?  And does how players view such tradeoffs matter?  Many players simply will not take Augmented Drive Field since it's trading OP which could be used in combat for a campaign layer benefit.  Everyone is expected, at least by endgame, to spend story points to make their ships better, a campaign layer resource being used for in-combat power.  Same goes for credits.  Credits buy you bigger and better ships.  Which is partly why we have DP limits. Credits don't limit maximum fleet power, they limit at the rate at which fleet power can be accrued.  DP limits and s-mod limits are what reign in maximum fleet power.  Safety Overrides don't interact with the s-mod or DP systems, it interacts only with the credits/supplies system.

(Very nice analysis; not just this bit of it, but overall - thank you!) I think if the ability's benefit was temporary it would be a lot easier to make the hullmod "worth its OP cost", as you put it, and not way more.

Now if Safety Overrides couldn't be used on a ship with s-mods, or if Safety Overrides increased the DP cost of a ship, effectively a cost in terms of combat (you can put fewer of them) and a cost on the campaign layer (the ship costs more supplies per deployment), then that would start to interact with the maximum power of the fleet.  The other option is to make safety overrides be worth it's OP value, rather than significantly more than it's OP value would suggest on min-maxed ships.

That's a really good point, yeah. The only thing I'll say is that in *most* cases (i.e. not the SO Hyperon) the power of SO is high before your fleet power is maxed out, anyway. Though at that point the increased deployment cost would matter, too. Heck, something like +20% deployment points might go a long way towards making it more of a tradeoff.

I feel like you changed Missile Autoforge from a CR hit to a limited charge based system for a reason in 0.7.1a?  Was it related to AI usage and CR costs being a permanent fight long thing?

(I don't remember1 100%. I think it might've been, though; that seems likely. "How well will the AI handle this" is definitely a concern, and it's especially tough because it's just plain unaware of the external factors that play into it e.g. how your current campaign situation is.)

On a only slightly related note, I still like the idea of linking CR tick down rate to the CR loss per deployment.  So a Hyperion would tick down 4 times faster than a Lasher.  It always feels weird to me the campaign costs of a SO Lasher are higher than that of an SO Hyperion, but you get no in combat benefit for it.

I'm tempted to just do this, honestly. Setting up a formula to compute the CR loss/sec column based on, say, 60 seconds per 1 deployment's worth of CR (so: using 15%/deployment as a baseline) sounds pretty good. I don't think I've seen the idea before or if I did it didn't register, because it seems really good right now.

And it'd hit the SO Hyperion exactly where it needs it, too - it's getting *way* too much extra effective time out of its CR decay time, AND it's super cheap, comparatively. This would also make high-tech ships/phase ships have a little less time once CR starts ticking, but it wouldn't be a huge change there, and it'd give low-tech ships more post-peak effective time... hmm. Might make sense to use 15% as a "minimum" for that calculation, capping the CR decay to a minimum of 0.25 - I'm not sure that any ships really need *more* post-peak effective time than they're getting right now.

Since it got kindof lost behind Alex coming in with the 'make SO active' notion, I'd like to re-suggest my idea: Make SO something that's fleet-level limited, like automated ships, with a very small cap by default (enough that an SO destroyer with Combat Endurance is hitting maybe 45% max CR), and an increased cap - enough to run a cruiser or two - if you've got the appropriate Industry skill.
And, of course, ships with Ill-Advised Modifications don't count towards the cap.

I don't really want to see SO nerfed in terms of direct combat potential (though removing the always-on zero-flux boost wouldn't be a bad idea), but having it limited so you can't just spam a fleet full of SO Hyperions seems fine.

It did get totally lost, and it's a really interesting idea! Especially with Ill-Advised not counting; that makes everything come together. You might even make building SO in add Ill-Advised, that'd just tie everything in conceptually. Not sure if it's something I want to do, necessarily, but it's definitely out of the box and seems elegant, so, *thumbs up*!

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2023, 01:56:24 PM »

The thought I had about it - and it's not fully fleshed out, and I'm not fully committed to doing this, so, big disclaimer/grain of salt - is to change SO to function as an active ability instead of a constant passive buff.

The idea being that yeah, if you nerf it, it gets less interesting. But as is it's also not all that interesting because - alright, it does add a playstyle, but that playstyle is very similar for everything and there's not too much to it. If you make it an ability where activating it, say, costs the ship some peak time (and then CR when it's out of PPT) then you can have it be really powerful, and "when do you trigger it" becomes an interesting tactical decision. (What effects exactly it would have is up in the air; in a similar vein to what it currently does, though.)

And then you'd have a new control for "active ability"; something like Neural Transfer would use that control, too, ships would be restricted to just one hullmod that adds an ability (and the door would be open to more abilities like this that can be slotted into ships), etc.

Again, though, this is all fairly half baked; these are just my thoughts at the moment. It's entirely possible none of that would go anywhere. (And if it did, I'd probably leave the original SO in the game and accessible via console...)

I like the idea of an 'active ability' slot, with Safety Overrides as the first example, and feel the peak performance downside to Safety Overrides isn't fun for the user or opponent to play around because it isn't interactive, visible, or immediate.  The user has less time to play with the ship, which is usually better than its opponents in head-on fights because of how essential flux advantage is to winning, and the opponent's best strategy can be to back off until invisible timers turn the tables.  The same goes for the range limitation, which excludes long-range ships from using the hullmod.

Safety Overrides' theme seems to be to become free from traditional limits in order to gain an advantage 'at the edge'.  What if the downside were instead a risk, with which the opponent could interact to turn the tables immediately, causing a visible result?  For example, overloading while engaging the active version of Safety Overrides could make the otherwise-harmless EMP arcs wrack the ship with explosions inflicting critical malfunctions.  The opponent would then have an alternative when facing a Safety Overrides ship: meet it head-on, push through the flux dissipation advantage, and get a spectacular reward if they can fill the enemy's flux bar.  It would be a different fight type that would test the player's quick thinking under pressure throughout because fighting back against a Safety Overrides ship could leave them the ones overloaded.

WhisperDSP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2023, 06:28:05 PM »

I’m very new to the forums, so you can feel free to dogpile on me for my naivety.

I’m getting the impression that this discussion is becoming an extremely polarizing contest between newer players who want an easy-to-start strategy for dipping their toes into the game and combat…

…before slowly graduating to the more hard-core players who are digging into deeper options for the tougher ships and a more challenging combat game…

…and the communication between the two is getting close to breaking down big-time.

Which would be a shame, given it’s a really good game with incredible depth even in the beginning and on easy mode. Having the difficulty bar raised for newcomers (like myself) might cause a great deal of frustration and negativity from newbies, so that word-of-mouth becomes “way hard, don’t bother with it”.

Where it might become more productive is:

* start with X to get used to things

* gradually have a play with Y and Z mechanics, get a feel of them - you can always go back to X if the game is whipping you or you just want a more chill game playthrough occasionally

* after a certain point, stop using A/B/C ship mods to challenge/force yourself to try new strategies

So from this (naive) perspective, taking X out as a starter option is counterproductive on the whole.

(Note that I’m not trying to denigrate the position of either side in the debate. I’m hoping to come across as a balanced view, instead of extreme polarization either way.)

(If I fail, oh well!)

draken16

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2023, 06:29:58 PM »

Safety overrides tries to do too many things at once.
The only other hull mods that cost 40 OP on the biggest ships is heavy armor and augmented drive, both of those are playing with 1 stat, SO is playing with like 4 and disabling venting on top of that. Things are hard to balance with so many variables.
Perhaps either split it into 2 hullmods or decrease the number of variables we are playing with.

e.g.

example flux mod:
-increase flux dissipation (probably not as extreme as SO, but without no venting)
-some drawback like: reduced flux cap, increased damage taken, range. and add maybe smaller than original PPT reduction (so as for PPT not to be the main "balancer"

example flux mod 2:
-flux dissipation is x1.5, cant vent. maybe with an additional 5% hard flux dissipation on top, maybe not.
OR maybe
-soft dissipation is doubled, hard flux dissipation is halved (even while venting or shields off), 20% increased damage to armor (or else hard flux would affect shield tanks much harder than armor tanks)

some speed mod:
- add flat speed, or maybe always have 0 flux boost, but its half the speed bonus
- some drawback like: increased damage taken, range, PPT loss, whatever
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 06:45:45 PM by draken16 »

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2023, 09:41:30 PM »

Heck, something like +20% deployment points might go a long way towards making it more of a tradeoff.

----

On a only slightly related note, I still like the idea of linking CR tick down rate to the CR loss per deployment.  So a Hyperion would tick down 4 times faster than a Lasher.  It always feels weird to me the campaign costs of a SO Lasher are higher than that of an SO Hyperion, but you get no in combat benefit for it.

I'm tempted to just do this, honestly. Setting up a formula to compute the CR loss/sec column based on, say, 60 seconds per 1 deployment's worth of CR (so: using 15%/deployment as a baseline) sounds pretty good. I don't think I've seen the idea before or if I did it didn't register, because it seems really good right now.

And it'd hit the SO Hyperion exactly where it needs it, too - it's getting *way* too much extra effective time out of its CR decay time, AND it's super cheap, comparatively. This would also make high-tech ships/phase ships have a little less time once CR starts ticking, but it wouldn't be a huge change there, and it'd give low-tech ships more post-peak effective time... hmm. Might make sense to use 15% as a "minimum" for that calculation, capping the CR decay to a minimum of 0.25 - I'm not sure that any ships really need *more* post-peak effective time than they're getting right now.

----

Since it got kindof lost behind Alex coming in with the 'make SO active' notion, I'd like to re-suggest my idea: Make SO something that's fleet-level limited, like automated ships

It did get totally lost, and it's a really interesting idea! Especially with Ill-Advised not counting; that makes everything come together. You might even make building SO in add Ill-Advised, that'd just tie everything in conceptually. Not sure if it's something I want to do, necessarily, but it's definitely out of the box and seems elegant, so, *thumbs up*!
Imo, some combination of these three (DP increase for SO / CR decay rate increase for high deploy cost ships / fleet-level limit for SO) would do wonders for making SO less egregious.

Something tangential that might be worth noting is that in tournaments that have been run to prevent, SO is typically limited to a percentage of the total DP allowed, eg: in a 200DP fleet you might only be allowed 50DP of SO ships.
While tournaments are not directly equatable to campaign, with the only thing that matters being winning regardless of the cost (in ship losses/hull damage/etc) it takes to do so, they do provide some level of insight into equal-dp fleet combat. And the fact that SO is limited in such an environment should be telling that it's overtuned to some extent.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2023, 10:49:10 PM »

Might make sense to use 15% as a "minimum" for that calculation, capping the CR decay to a minimum of 0.25 - I'm not sure that any ships really need *more* post-peak effective time than they're getting right now.

More exceptions to the rule? Come on. If ships have too much PPT just flatten the curve(i.e. 30 second increments, not 60)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2023, 03:12:21 AM »

I recall this issue being raised as another way low-tech is treated unfair, though it was approached from logistical perspective: burning through the entire CR is 2,5 of a supply cheaper for Hyperion, than for a Lasher, to use the given example. It costs 0,4 supply to recover 1% of a Lasher and 0,375 to recover 1% of a Hyperion. I'm happy to have this addressed for any reason, though.

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2023, 04:45:57 AM »

Have something catastrophic happen if you plan poorly enough to overload while SO is on. Because really, that's got to be one of the events the safeties are there for.

I really like this idea. Make it active but if something goes wrong you dead. Loosing hull points instead of overload maybe.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2023, 05:40:33 AM »

The supply cost to fully replenish CR (0% to 100%) is deployment recovery cost/CR per deployment right? That's why ships like Hyperon with high CR per deployment cost less to replenish CR lost from going over PPT. I always figured that the messed up low replenish costs for high tech was just because recovery cost and CR per deploment was more important to get right.
So are you thinking to make CR lost/sec to be (CR per deployment)/60s instead of just always 0.25/s. That'd make ships that can fight a lot of battles back to back be able to last longer after PPT and vice versa which makes a lot of sense and would fix the above mentioned strangeness.
Looking at various ships' stats, most low tech above frigate sized have a CR/D of 12% so their post PPT time would be 25% longer, only frigates and a few weak larger ships have lower then that and they're almost all 10% CR/D so 50% longer lasting CR. Gemini is the only one I noticed lower than 10% with 9% CR/D so 66% longer lasting.
While I'm talking about Hyperon, The 0-flux requirement for the teleport has always felt strange to me due to SO always giving the 0-flux boost as it is such an obvious synergy that wasn't really needed. Just always being able to teleport with a longer cooldown or giving it a significant (~20%) hard flux cost feels like a better solution to me.

Back to SO,
@WhisperDSP, I can't speak for the others but my main issue with the suggestion to leave SO as is to make the game easier is that, making the game easier is the job of difficulty settings, not hullmods. Also, if you did use SO to make the game easier for newbies then you're forcing them into one style and punishing them for trying something else. Which is not good.

I personally do not think adding more penalties is the best way to fix SO. It already has more effects then almost any other hullmod and so adding more risks making it bloated, hard to remember everything and hard to figure out how to use it.

Maybe a way to make it work is to give it back venting and the special effect is that venting can be toggled and it doesn't turn off weapons and shields but it drains PPT/CR. That gives it an active effect, that drains battle time and you could add another bonus like it gives the 0-flux speed or faster fire rate and or you could give it a debuff like x2 damage taken or malfunction risks.
Since the PPT/CR cost is only applied when using the boost, the cost can be increased significantly to balance it without rendering some ships useless before they even make contact which is frustrating not interesting.
Also, I don't think campaign costs should be significantly considered when balancing combat power, it would not work as it is now as there is either no way or an easy way to get around any campaign cost and trying to balance it would be a nightmare for Alex.

Making the s-mod penalty for SO be ill-advised modifications sounds perfect *chef's kiss*

Edit: btw @Hiruma Kai your long post was really good, I hadn't realized just how powerful the x2 dissipation is and the rest was really informative too.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 06:21:34 AM by BaBosa »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6