Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [0.97a] Carter's Junk Hull Mods - V 0.8 - 03/09/24  (Read 46074 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
[0.97a] Carter's Junk Hull Mods - V 0.8 - 03/09/24
« on: January 14, 2023, 05:04:21 AM »

Requires
LazyLib, MagicLib

38 questionable quality low OP requirement Hull Mods originating from my two faction mods (JYD and CFT) rolled into one.

Why oh why? You ask

R/L reason why
Spoiler
I am not a coder, I am not an artist I am just a guy who really enjoys this game and wanted to provide mods with what I thought were features lacking in the game for those who felt the same as me. I rely on player feedback in all it’s forms to get a sense if I am doing it right. After reading numerous comments on discord from players who stated they uninstalled my faction mods or just plain do not use them because the hull mods are just unbalanced and they did want them in their game, I decided to make this move.

By separating the hull mods from both factions into a separate mod, I would not feel like I am bloating my faction mods with more code if I want to add more hull mods in the future. This allows me to slim down the load of JYD and CFT for those that do not want or care about the hull mods while still providing them to those that do. And most importantly, it allows me a forum page that I can interact with that focuses on this specific aspect of my mods.
[close]

The Dazs extended universe Lore tie-in reason
Spoiler
Forming military alliances against the pirate clans and providing mutual assistance versus the bully boy tactics the Hegemony employs, Carter’s Freetraders and the Junk Yard Dogs have been close trading allies for some time. The informal chatter and hushed voices in the bars all along the sector, whispers of a new alien threat has been verified. The return of a lone battered frigate from a once large mining fleet, pitted from energy blasts, provided the sensor logs revealing the new insect race on the edge of the sector. The two factions decided to focus and re-tool their mining and exploration fleets to be more militaristic in nature.

John Carter first proposed the idea of combining the R&D labs of both factions to form a new organization to pool their resources to focus on their technical ship modifications and thus Carter’s Junk Hull Mods was formed. Their technology is a closely held secret and can only be found in their respective factions trading ports and among the Independent planets in the sector. There have been several hacking attempts by the pirates but surely they have not been successful.
[close]

Instructions to make the hull mods unlearned at start
Spoiler
To enable: Navigate to data\hullmods located in the CJHM mod folder and either move,rename or delete hull_mods.csv. Now rename the file unlearned_hull_mods.csv to hull_mods.csv
[close]

If you enjoy my content, please consider buying me a coffee to keep me going! :) on Ko-Fi!

Current Changelog

v0.8 Save game compatible
   -Added a new low OP hull mod, Auxiliary Tanks - Reduces 25% crew and adds 15% fuel storage. Does not stack with Additional Berthing
   -Added a new low OP hull mod, Auxiliary Cargo - Reduces 25% crew and adds 15% cargo storage. Does not stack with Additional Berthing - TY SableDrake for the idea for both
      -Note there is a 10% disparity in these two to balance the 1/2/3/4 low OP and crew counts as a % are much lower than cargo/fuel on cargo ships and tankers
   -Updated the image on the forum OP and discord post with the new hull mods

Past Changelogs

Spoiler
v0.7 Save game compatible
   -Added a new hull mod, Internal Tanks - Essentially a fuel analog for cargo carver - has the same exclusions but it is stackable with cargo carver
   -Added a new hull mod, External Tanks - Essentially a fuel analog for cargo pods - stackable with cargo pods - same deductions so it really makes a ship unwieldy if stacked
   -Adjusted Faraday cage by raising the hull deduction from 5% to 10% but increasing the flux from 50% to 60% - 5 was too low in retrospect but added 10% to help offset the increase
   -Adjusted PD Pep by increasing the Cr loss from 7% to 10% - 7 was a bit low and after testing 10 does have an effect but not so much it makes it useless to put on a ship
   -TY to SpiralMatai for bringing the above two hull mods in need of adjustment to my attention
   -Updated the image on the forum OP and discord post with the new hull mods and edited it to be more even
   -Fixed an oversight with the faction's "known hull mods" for those that want the hull mods unlearned at start, it is now updated to include all CJHM hull mods

v0.6 Save game compatible
   -Added a new hull mod, Armor Swap that swaps 1 percent hull for 1 percent armor for 1 OP - While fitting out ships I realized there wasn't anything for 1 OP
   -Added a new hull mod, Hull Swap that swaps 1 percent armor for 1 percent hull for 1 OP - Same as above but not compatible for players that would rather have hull
      -Big Thank you to Tesser who made the icons that I used for the above new hull mods
   -Added a new hull mod, Brawler Energy that works the same as Brawler Ballistics but for energy bolt weapons. Note: does not effect beams
   -Added the images and descriptions of the new hull mods to the picture on discord and the forum OP
   -Updated the game version to RC-7 to alleviate your OCD triggering mod manager yellow warning :)

v0.5.1 Save Game compatible
   -Updated to 0.97a

v0.5 Save Game compatible* - Note before installing the update uninstall cargo carver, cargo filler or belt armor if you have them stacked on your ships
   -Added a block to prevent Cargo Carver, Cargo Filler or Belt Armor on at the same time - They all take from the cargo of a ship, making them mutually exclusive made sense
   -Increased the % that Flux swap modifies from 5% to 10% - TY Aran1 for your comments regarding this and the above change   
   -Updated the game version compatibility to the current version (0.96a-RC10) - Minor QOL change so the version checker will stop giving you a warning
   -Moved the Exploration Refit hull mod from JYD to CJHM - They will both exist if you have both mods installed until I can get around to updating JYD
      -It removes the penalties from a civilian-grade hull, increases the maximum burn level,sensor and sight range,cargo space and reduces CR loss from corona and similar conditions
      -In order to maintain these upgrades the ship requires more crew and uses more supplies per month - Essentially an exploration version of Militarized Subsystems
   - Added the image and description of the new hull mod to the picture on the forum OP

v0.4.1 Quick Hotfix - Save game compatible with v0.4
   -Fixed a tooltip error with Magiclib - TY Soviet Tom Bombadil for finding it and letting me know
   -Converted the compression from RAR to ZIP - Received some "requests" and it is a more widely used format   

v0.4 - Save game compatible with v0.3
   -Adjusted the code to be compliant with the 0.96a MagicLib changes
   -Adjusted the code compatibility to work with 0.96a
   -Changed the options for the hull mods to be unlocked by default and the unlearned version to be the optional
   -Added instructions on how to enable the optional "unlearned" file to the forum op

v 0.3 - Save game compatible with v0.2
   -Fixed an error in the Weapon Overclock hull mod - TY to Madbadger2 for noticing and helping me fix it and helping me beta test the following changes
   -Changed the description of Reflected Armor to clarify that it works on shields as well as hull and armor
   -Changed the description of Fetch Deck to better describe what it does
   -Changed the wording of Brawler Missiles from acceleration to speed - more clarity
   -Lowered the hull penalty to Stripped hull from 20% to 15% and changed to description to clarify that the bonus effects all types on ammo, not just missiles
   -Added five new hull mods:
      -Nano Hull Repair - Regenerates hull by decreasing overall hull HP - Had some requests from players to make a version similar to the Hiver one
      -Belt Armor - Fills in a ship's cargo with more hull and armor, reduces cargo space and ship maneuverability - Based on R/L navy belt armor
      -Brawler Ballistics - Increases the damage of ballistic weapons, decreases flux use at the cost of weapon range -Inspired by my Brawler Missiles hull mod
      -Flux Swap - Increases flux venting by reducing flux capacity - A personal preference of mine
      -Adaptive Damping - Increases ballistic weapon range, reduces ROF - Designed to help LMGs and other short range cheap weapons like the Vulcan - Madbadger2 requested and designed
   -Added an optional hull_mods.csv that if enabled will make all CJHM hull mods unlocked and learned - JYD and CFT were originally this way and I have received requests for a revert
      -To enable: Navigate to data\hullmods located in the CJHM mod folder and either move,rename or delete hull_mods.csv. Now rename the file learned_hull_mods.csv to hull_mods.csv
   -Updated the forum OP image with the new hull mods
   -Added a direct download link to the Version file that mod managers can use to auto-update - Ty Timid for showing me how
   -Added a direct download link to the forum d/l link that bypasses the google drive preview - one less step to get to the good stuff :)

v0.2 - Save game compatible with v0.1
   -Changed the description to Fetch Deck to better reflect what it does
   -Increased the decay of CR for PD Pep from 5% to 7% - better balances it
   -Increased the added CR decay on the Cargo Pod mod by 10% - Balance tweak that deters using it on combat ships
   -Decreased the OP requirement for Brawler Missiles from 3/6/9/12 to 2/4/6/8 - makes it more attractive when stacking missile mods
   -- TY Madbadger2 for the above ideas
   -Removed some unneeded code on Shield Overclock - a tiny bit less memory load freed up
   -Reduced the Op requirement for Salvaged Shield on capital ships from 25 to 20 - Puts it in line with other base 5 incremented hull mods
   -Added three new Hull mods to the lineup:
      -Weapon Overlock - Increases ballistic and energy weapon rate of fire for increased flux use
      -Sprint Missiles - Increases the speed and maneuverability of missiles at the cost of missile hull HP
      -Projectile Accelerator - Increases ballistic and energy projectile speed at the cost of turret turn rate - Note: it will slow down beam and missile turn rate to no benefit
   -Updated the image on the forum OP with the new hull mods

v0.1.a - Quick hotfix - save game compatible with v0.1
   -Wrote a clearer description for the Missile Storage Expansion hull mod - Ty Zoro89 for your kind words and letting me know!

v0.1 - Initial release for review, testing and constructive criticism - Not compatible with JYD 2.2 or CFT 1.0 or lower
   -Ported over all but the commissioned crews hull mods from JYD and CFT and the combat engineers mod from CFT as that is integral to two of their ships
   -Changed the hull mods from unlocked at start to standard
   -Added the hull mods as known only to Independents, Pirates, CFT and JYD
   -Changed the Combat adjustment hull mod from giving a flat +50 armor to all to a variable amount depending on hull size   
   -Changed the OP for Combat Adjustment from 1,2,3,4 to 2,3,4,5 - Minimal increase but they are junk hull mods after all
   -Fixed the description of the Stripped Hull hullmod - added it's missing short description   
   -Fixed some spelling mistakes in hull_mods.csv from CFT and JYD- I'm dyslexic and apparently did not use spellcheck when I wrote them whoops :)
[close]

Zoro89

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Carter's Junk Hull Mods - V 0.1 - 01/14/23
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 07:13:51 AM »

Cool mod :)

Can you check the Missile Storage Expansion? The description is "...make room for 50 missile ammo capacity.". In the hullmod csv it's percent but the description could be understand as 50 missiles (pieces).

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Carter's Junk Hull Mods - V 0.1.a - 01/14/23
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 10:16:02 AM »

v 0.1.a released Quick hotfix - save game compatible with v0.1

Cool mod :)
Thank you that is so nice to hear.
Can you check the Missile Storage Expansion? The description is "...make room for 50 missile ammo capacity.". In the hullmod csv it's percent but the description could be understand as 50 missiles (pieces).
I made most of these some time back and I guess it sort of slipped though the cracks. +50 flat would be unbalanced indeed lol, I did a quick hotfix and changed the description. Thank you!

Madbadger2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 04:49:37 PM »

Well, I really like a number of your hullmods and they've become essential to my campaign play over time, PD Pep and the Cargo Carver and Cargo Pods mods in particular.

The only one I thought might be a little underpriced was Fetch Deck for pure carriers, but that's mainly because post-nerf Expanded Deck crews is so bad I never even consider taking it anymore, and Fetch Deck used to be exclusive to JYD hulls as a little bonus for them.

Thanks for all the work you've done on both JYD and this new collection, and for being clear about the transition.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 05:05:02 PM »

Well, I really like a number of your hullmods and they've become essential to my campaign play over time, PD Pep and the Cargo Carver and Cargo Pods mods in particular.
I did my best to balance them but also make them useful and it is good to hear that they have been a help. Your post made my day, truly.
The only one I thought might be a little underpriced was Fetch Deck for pure carriers, but that's mainly because post-nerf Expanded Deck crews is so bad I never even consider taking it anymore, and Fetch Deck used to be exclusive to JYD hulls as a little bonus for them.
When you say underpriced, do you mean credit cost or OP cost? I really had to think whether or not to keep that as JYD only but eventually decided to open it up to all and let it be free :)
Thanks for all the work you've done on both JYD and this new collection, and for being clear about the transition.
I really struggled whether or not to make this move but at the end of the day, the point of my mods is to give players options. Having all those built in mods on JYD ships took agency away and forced players to use them if they wanted to fly a JYD ship. I'll keep at it and if you have any suggestions or ideas, you have my ear.

Soviet Tom Bombadil

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 02:52:34 PM »

I loved your mods in the original configuration but I can see the value in splitting them up - that being said, when I use the modspec for Carvo Carver / Filler (one of my favorite) - the modspec just disappeared and never applied itself.

Madbadger2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 03:13:11 PM »

I did my best to balance them but also make them useful and it is good to hear that they have been a help. Your post made my day, truly.
When you say underpriced, do you mean credit cost or OP cost? I really had to think whether or not to keep that as JYD only but eventually decided to open it up to all and let it be free :)
I really struggled whether or not to make this move but at the end of the day, the point of my mods is to give players options. Having all those built in mods on JYD ships took agency away and forced players to use them if they wanted to fly a JYD ship. I'll keep at it and if you have any suggestions or ideas, you have my ear.

Okay, got a few suggestions 8-)  I meant OP cost for Fetch Deck, but after testing for a bit I have come to the conclusion that it is fine (it is a 10% decrease in the rate of decrease of replacement rate when the wings are understrength, the same stat that Expanded Deck Crews affects, rather than a flat 10% bonus to replacement time, which is what I thought based on the description). The problem is Expanded Deck Crews just isn't that good for the price anymore, not that Fetch Deck is overpowered.

Okay some balance stuff. My goal with these is "keep them cool, but make penalties noticeable": Do not decrese the bonus or increase the OP cost, but make it affect things.  None of these would stop me personally liking and using the hullmods where appropriate 8-)

PD Pep: Cost the same, effect the same, double the CR decay penalty from 5% to 10%, and possibly add a 5% flux cost increase for PD weapons if that is not too much of a pain to script. For most PD weapons, that isn't very noticeable, because they tend to be low flux, so it will mainly effect long range dual use PD_ALSO weapons, like the Devastator, and the "everything small is now a PD weapon, whoa they got 50% more range too" effect that IPDAI has with PD Pep.  And those are exactly the two cases where you want a noticeable drawback because they are rather powerful.  Yeah, you get the range but you have to pay a bit more flux for it. Seems fair.

Cargo Carver and Cargo Pods:  Decrease the Max CR of the ship by 5% for both in addition to current penalties. I toyed with the idea of imposing a supply cost to add or remove the hullmods, and this does that among other things - and neither mod is something that you want to be happy about on a ship that is getting into battles, and will give a small penality for mining.

Rationale: Cargo carver - you aren't actually chopping out hull, you are just stashing cargo in places that will interfere with smooth operation of the ship by the crew and damage control - hence lower CR and less hull.

Cargo pods - great big pods hanging off the ship - harder for it to efficiently manage as well as making it a slow fuel hog 8-)

The code for decreasing max CR (from the vanilla Increased Maintenance D-mod, using applyEffectsBeforeShipCreation) is this:
"public static float MAX_CR_PENALTY = 0.05f;
stats.getMaxCombatReadiness().modifyFlat(id, -Math.round(MAX_CR_PENALTY * effect * 100f) * 0.01f, "Increased Maintenance");"

Others as I test more, but those are the ones I use most.  I think Brawler Missiles could stand to have the cost lowered, because I can't see using it on anything except an SO ship since the range on Pilums and the Drill LRM got lowered - but I don't tend to run missile spam ships so I will defer to the experts there.  I guess it could be useful on a ship using exclusively the Kadur Jericho and Jaya missiles (those are range 6k and 10k and not very manuverable) but in both cases you probably want ECCM first so its getting to be a lot of OP. And Brawlers utterly trashes range and preferred engagement range for most small missiles, so it has a big penalty already.

More as I test. Hope this helps.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 08:32:23 PM »

I loved your mods in the original configuration but I can see the value in splitting them up - that being said, when I use the modspec for Carvo Carver / Filler (one of my favorite) - the modspec just disappeared and never applied itself.
Thank you for the nice compliment, it wasn't an easy decision but I appreciate your understanding. I haven't had much time to play lately and have not gotten those two to drop for me yet to test. I will spawn them tomorrow and see what happens when I learn them and get back to you.

Okay, got a few suggestions 8-)  I meant OP cost for Fetch Deck, but after testing for a bit I have come to the conclusion that it is fine (it is a 10% decrease in the rate of decrease of replacement rate when the wings are understrength, the same stat that Expanded Deck Crews affects, rather than a flat 10% bonus to replacement time, which is what I thought based on the description). The problem is Expanded Deck Crews just isn't that good for the price anymore, not that Fetch Deck is overpowered.
Ok thank you for the clarification. I will look over the description tomorrow and try to word it better.
Okay some balance stuff. My goal with these is "keep them cool, but make penalties noticeable": Do not decrese the bonus or increase the OP cost, but make it affect things.  None of these would stop me personally liking and using the hullmods where appropriate 8-)

PD Pep: Cost the same, effect the same, double the CR decay penalty from 5% to 10%, and possibly add a 5% flux cost increase for PD weapons if that is not too much of a pain to script. For most PD weapons, that isn't very noticeable, because they tend to be low flux, so it will mainly effect long range dual use PD_ALSO weapons, like the Devastator, and the "everything small is now a PD weapon, whoa they got 50% more range too" effect that IPDAI has with PD Pep.  And those are exactly the two cases where you want a noticeable drawback because they are rather powerful.  Yeah, you get the range but you have to pay a bit more flux for it. Seems fair.
Well PD pep is tricky, I have balanced it several times since inception. I have noticed that ships with it on do decay a lot faster than those that do not. Personally I do not use it on any big boys but rather the ships I dedicate to PD support like the JYD_protective or the CFT_pdplat (which is an handy ship to deploy when fighting say Hivers (hint hint) :) I will give your notes more thought and get back to you later, I do not want to nerf it too much but perhaps a middle ground change.
Cargo Carver and Cargo Pods:  Decrease the Max CR of the ship by 5% for both in addition to current penalties. I toyed with the idea of imposing a supply cost to add or remove the hullmods, and this does that among other things - and neither mod is something that you want to be happy about on a ship that is getting into battles, and will give a small penality for mining.

Rationale: Cargo carver - you aren't actually chopping out hull, you are just stashing cargo in places that will interfere with smooth operation of the ship by the crew and damage control - hence lower CR and less hull.

Cargo pods - great big pods hanging off the ship - harder for it to efficiently manage as well as making it a slow fuel hog 8-)
Well actually you are reducing hull by using Carver, a decent chunk if you try and use it on a cruiser and above. I only use those two on freighters I do not deploy for that reason. However, putting in a CR penalty would not effect ships not deployed so it wouldn't really effect them but it would give a penalty to putting in on deployable ships which I never really envisioned anyone would do so that works Dazsmod lore wise. :)
The code for decreasing max CR (from the vanilla Increased Maintenance D-mod, using applyEffectsBeforeShipCreation) is this:
"public static float MAX_CR_PENALTY = 0.05f;
stats.getMaxCombatReadiness().modifyFlat(id, -Math.round(MAX_CR_PENALTY * effect * 100f) * 0.01f, "Increased Maintenance");"
Thanks for the code snippet.
Others as I test more, but those are the ones I use most.  I think Brawler Missiles could stand to have the cost lowered, because I can't see using it on anything except an SO ship since the range on Pilums and the Drill LRM got lowered - but I don't tend to run missile spam ships so I will defer to the experts there.  I guess it could be useful on a ship using exclusively the Kadur Jericho and Jaya missiles (those are range 6k and 10k and not very manuverable) but in both cases you probably want ECCM first so its getting to be a lot of OP. And Brawlers utterly trashes range and preferred engagement range for most small missiles, so it has a big penalty already.

More as I test. Hope this helps.
Brawler missiles is great for destroyers or fast cruisers that rush the target. They do not need the range and it helps overwhelm enemy PD. It is one of my favorites from this collection, especially when I run a wolfpack fleet early game.

I am working on a CFT update when I can atm but I think I can do a quick update to this one since I got the day free tomorrow. Thank you both for your comments, I will give them a more in-depth read  in the morning when I am more awake and aware.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 03:41:41 AM »

Using console commands I spawned both and they work fine on my part. I think what may be the cause on you end is that when you first learn a CJHM hull mod it gets listed on the refit screen screen under it's own heading. When you are in the refit screen and press the blue Add button a new screen appears with the list of learned hull mods. Now look at the bottom of that screen and you will see all the designs and types. Check to make sure CJHM is turned on, it is turned off by default. If you press All designs it will turn it on or you could press the CJHM button and you will only see CJHM hullmods. Now once you turn them on any other CJHM hull mods will appear as you learn them, it is just the first one that needs to be turned on.

I do hope that TLDR was helpful because other than that I am at a loss how your issue is occurring.

Noobishnoob

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 02:49:34 AM »

I was going to every CFT station trying to find these hullmods, turnsout its a separate mod now XD

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 03:35:01 AM »

I was going to every CFT station trying to find these hullmods, turnsout its a separate mod now XD
Heh sorry about that, I am glad that you found your way here though. 

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Carter's Junk Hull Mods - V 0.2 - 02/01/23
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 04:02:38 PM »

v0.2 released today - Save game compatible with v0.1

Made some balance adjustments - Thanks to Madbadger2 for their theory crafting ideas and suggestions and added three more questionable quality hull mods.

Changelog on the forum OP and in the RAR has all the details and the forum OP image was updated with the new hull mods if you'd like to take a peek. I am always open to and grateful for ideas and suggestions for all my mods so if you have any please send them my way either as a forum reply or a discord PM.

sanya02

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 01:31:21 PM »

Hi! If you put the cursor on Hullmod  "Burn Boost" the game crashes.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 01:52:24 PM »

Hi! If you put the cursor on Hullmod  "Burn Boost" the game crashes.
Hi there, sorry to hear there is an issue. I'll look into it on my end and see if I can recreate it. Some clarity would help me figure it out though, is this the hullmod BP in your inventory or the trained hullmod icon once installed? Also, if you could look at the bottom of your log it should state exactly what caused the crash.

Outlander

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2023, 07:35:02 PM »

Are these hullmods included in the Carter's Freetraders faction mod? Or is this mod needed to have them?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4