Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.97a] Unknown Skies v1.0.3  (Read 6303 times)

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
[0.97a] Unknown Skies v1.0.3
« on: February 26, 2024, 10:31:20 AM »

Explore new systems, with more varied planets and backgrounds.

download link removed -Alex

This mod significantly expands the variety of systems and planets you'll encounter while exploring. Adds 69 system backgrounds, 40 planet types and 14 uncommon or unique planetary conditions that can make or break a colonization candidate, as well as a few new ambiance sounds for different terrain types.

This mod does not affect the amount of "good" or "bad" planets you will find in the sector, only increase the variety of planets inside each vanilla category.

To modders: you are welcome to use these backgrounds and other textures in your own mods, but please make sure to use the same names and paths for your planets/ring/etc textures as to not needlessly bloat the memory.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

[close]

Changelog

Updated for 0.97a with some grammar and spelling adjustments.

[RC2]
- Fixed Underground Tunnels tooltip.
- Added save patching code to re-assign the new backgrounds to existing systems.
> Interestingly, this means US can be added mid-playthrough and it will add the new backgrounds.

[RC1]

- Reworked backgrounds:
   . Now includes 69 backdrops (from 27),
   . They are somewhat more consistent in art-style and darker as to not disrupt gameplay.

- Background list can be expanded through modSettings.json entries with third-party sub-mods,
- All strings have been externalized for ease of translation,
- Very rare planets types and conditions have been made unique, often with stronger effects. (Artificial, Magnetic and Perpetual Storm planets, Parasitic Spores, Xeno-fungus and Lingering Virus conditions),
- Added "Chemical Crystals" uncommon condition that can show up on toxic worlds to give them *some* colonization value from time to time.

- Compatibility patch for 0.95a

- Removed 0.9a workarounds
- All planet types have the proper conditions generated
- Special planets in non proc-gen system now get the proper special conditions

- Fixed effect scaling with Magnetic Crust effect

- Added two more rare planet types
- Added rare planetary conditions

- Procgen adjustments

- Added 12 new planet types

- Initial release
[close]

Thanks to Tartiflette for making this mod.
Thanks to Serenitis that provided some of the planets maps.

You like the mod? Consider contributing to Tartiflette's patreon
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 07:48:23 AM by Alex »

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Unknown Skies v1.0.3
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 03:34:23 PM »

anyone knows what the Methane planet is inspired by? Is it like a book reference? Cause I couldn't find real life theories about Methane planets or anything...

LAJ-47FC9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 03:35:40 PM »

anyone knows what the Methane planet is inspired by? Is it like a book reference? Cause I couldn't find real life theories about Methane planets or anything...
Titan is thought to have significant levels of methane in its atmosphere and hydrosphere, alongside many other hydrocarbons!

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 04:02:49 PM »

Titan is already represented in the game as cold toxic, I presume... I guess methane is a planet like Titan, minus the extremely dense atmosphere caused by volcanic activity. So, it's just average atmosphere density retaining a strong greenhouse effect, with low temperatures allowing for the existence of all three states of methane. Kinda like water does in our temperatures.

Okay, solved.

darn, wished the person behind the mod still worked on it. Would be cool if they added hycean, carbon, diamond or fire giant worlds. And I was also having dreams where I saw singularity giants... Strange glowing purple gas giants that contained arcane black hole energy. In case it came to something more fantastical. They had like a 50% habitability penalty of like a horrifying status effect. I also remember there being disjointed black hole parts patrolling a system... Man that would be flipping scary if it was real.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 04:07:38 PM by Killer of Fate »

A_Random_Dude

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 04:56:15 PM »

The hell is a fire giant. Are you talking about stars? Because there are plenty of those in game already.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 04:59:40 PM »

The hell is a fire giant. Are you talking about stars? Because there are plenty of those in game already.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Jupiter

I kinda call them fire giants, cause it's like a colloquial name used in Endless Space 2 for e.g. It fits cause you have Ice Giants, Gas Giants and then Fire Giants... But yeah, their official name is just Hot Jupiters, I guess.

They kinda already exist in the game, but they're don't seem to really spawn or anything. There are various Hot Jupiters appearing around the pre-baked Core Worlds, but randomly you will probably never see one. They apparently exist, but I never saw one... So, uh... Yeah. If you find one naturally occurring, like with an ion storm. Then that's cool I guess.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 01:57:35 AM by Killer of Fate »

Dadada

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 05:52:03 PM »

Thank you for updating all of them, a true madlad, I bow.  :o :o :o

Draconis13

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 04:00:53 PM »

When I saw this went up for grabs I was tempted to try my hand at adding and adjusting this for a 97 release. I came up with a new piece of art for the artificial planet and had an idea to adjust it to have a planetary bonus that reflected the runaway drone construction of the planet something like -1 to stability for the cyclopean endless city which gives endless hiding places for smuggling or illicit activity and some kind of production bonus to industry and/or mining due to the planet being constructed from hundreds of years of automated mining and refining leaving a chaotic landscape of prefab structures and excess material to exploit. I could not however get it quite to my liking being either too good of an auto pick even when heavy negatives were in place or too bland similar to the default defensive bonus which while good did not really do the concept justice. I was also considering making art for new planet types such as a partially blasted war world representative of rogue colonies during the domain era or battlefields of the AI wars or a wounded world where a habitable world had been partially destroyed by a failed planetkiller weapon and now had a large crater that had brought large amounts of magma up to the surface of a continent and heavily destabilized but not totally destroyed the worlds biosphere.

For the planet I did a 80% mask of sections of pixelated and downscaled satellite bits of industrial areas to make it look like the bots had built this cyclopean buildings and magrails the size of whole countries. Overlaid over the original metal texture to give it a bit more ruddy mettallic feeling, if you look close you can see some of the original details in the building clusters.

Please feel free to use/edit this as you see fit and let me know if you would like to collaborate on this further with new planet types.

Kuroe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 08:25:03 PM »

Just an fyi to everyone using or planning to use this mod. Mod maintainer got caught adding malicious code to one of tartiflette's other mods. I would wait for someone familiar with coding to give the a okay before using this in case something was hidden in this mod too. Cheers

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 08:48:17 AM »

presidentmattdamon has been banned from the forum for distributing mods with code that deliberately corrupted savefiles under certain conditions.

We're looking at changes to the forum rules to hopefully head off this sort of situation in the future.