Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Teach Starsector to load saves with removed mod content  (Read 616 times)

BreenBB

• Commander
    • View Profile
Teach Starsector to load saves with removed mod content
« on: January 10, 2023, 12:19:34 PM »

While StarSector have great mod support, on par with RimWorld or Fallout New Vegas, or even better in some cases, since its possible to load alot of mods and there is no need to create patches for mod compatibility, it is great, but also SS mod support also have big disadvantage too, to same Rimworld and Fallout, game can't stand any content removal, usually this happens when modmaker delete some ships or weapons during update, and this forces either using old version of mod, start new game, or just manually fix save file, by opening "save_folder"/campaign.xml with Notepad++ and deleting all mentions of removed ship or weapon, which can abit annoying to do, especially if more that one ship was removed, but doable, if you preserve file structure.

I understand that it is not possible to make proper removal of big and heavily scripted mod, but I think it is doable to teach game parse missing ships and weapons or items and either remove them or in case with the ships just replace them with some fallback vanilla ship, so I'd like to suggest such feature for SS, it will make already decent mod support even better, and remove big chunk of annoyance when its comes to mod updates.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Teach Starsector to load saves with removed mod content
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 05:15:41 PM »

Some of that can be avoided by better modding practices. For example, I know there's somebody who has soft-removed ships by removing all normal ways to access them, then removed them for real later like when a save-breaking vanilla version releases.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 12:44:52 AM »

all of it would be avoided if the safeguard system, that already exists for missing variants, were just expanded to replace missing weapons/hullmods/graphics too
just set a substitute for missing content, or just outright remove it.
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

BreenBB

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 02:40:20 AM »

Some of that can be avoided by better modding practices. For example, I know there's somebody who has soft-removed ships by removing all normal ways to access them, then removed them for real later like when a save-breaking vanilla version releases.

I can't call this a better modding practice, it is rather pretty big flaw of vanilla game mod support, which gives inconvenience for both mod makers and players, and this is people's adaptation to it, so you either remove something and break saves, or leave unused stuff, which is still affect game load speed, and vram usage, almost any other game with similar mod support have safeguard system to handle removed simple content, such as ships, weapons etc, and like passwalker said, it is already half-implemented, game can replace missing "variants" with substitute, which is nebula transport, it just need to be expanded to handle base ship hulls, weapons and hullmods.