Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Give the pulse laser a bonus vs shields  (Read 4171 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Give the pulse laser a bonus vs shields
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2023, 05:18:13 AM »

I suppose one "fix" for Pulse Laser is to gut elite Point Defense, so that it has less than +100 range and that Pulse Laser has more range, or replace the range bonus with something else.

The only reason I used Pulse Laser over IR PLs before the advent of elite Point Defense was range superiority.  Today, IR PL (and Ion Cannon) with ePD+IPDAI has range (and efficiency) superiority over Pulse Laser (and every other non-beam medium energy weapon) and getting elite Point Defense (to boost a wide variety of weapons) is so worth it.  Even if IR PLs and Ion Cannons (and Railguns) get distracted by missiles at times, that is more often than not a good thing because it prevents hits on shield (or on the ship if it has no shield).  Occasionally, I have taken ePD+IPDAI Ion Cannons over Ion Pulser when range was more important, especially when matching ranges for AI ships.

Aside, IPDAI AMBs do not get distracted by missiles, but they still get the bonus range from ePD.  Handy for Ziggurat as a poor-man's AMSRM substitute (although I think IR PLs are better than AMBs because IPDAI IR PL spam will supplement motes pick off fighters, mines, and other missiles that will force Z to stay phased for too long to dodge when they overwhelm motes alone or while motes are away zapping a bigger fish).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 05:46:32 AM by Megas »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]