Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your Command Limit  (Read 6237 times)

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
Your Command Limit
« on: May 05, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »

can you increase it? I had a rather large planned midline fleet,
and then halfway through setting it up,
I realized I could only have about half the ships I thought I could get!
Will we eventually be able to increase our max fleet size through character skills?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:14:18 PM by ArthropodOfDoom »
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Your Command Limit
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:50:04 PM »

Welp, I guess that's that.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 04:49:04 AM »

It will be moddable at some point though. I think Alex posted that some posts further in the same thread.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 04:59:52 AM »

It will be moddable at some point though. I think Alex posted that some posts further in the same thread.
I personally believe that what's going to happen is when officers are added they'll improve the command limit. Right now, 100 seems far too much like a specialized strike force number to me
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 09:28:40 AM »

I personally believe that what's going to happen is when officers are added they'll improve the command limit. Right now, 100 seems far too much like a specialized strike force number to me
Unlikely, I think Alex said that what we have now is about the maximum of what we will eventual get with character/officers and all their bonuses.

EDIT: Yup, see Catra's link.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 11:27:34 AM »

Yah, I'm not sure how I feel about the FP limit. Obviously, the game we have now isn't directly comparable to what the game will be (just look at the Hegemony defense fleets), but in the current iteration of the game, the player's FP feels too small. Part of it is how supplies are so much more important and how they take a ton of cargo space, which places further constraints on fleet composition if you want room for plundered goods, want the speed to catch the fleets you can beat, and want to include your preferred ships and weapons. This is constrained further if you want to carry equipment for alternate loadouts for fighting different kinds of fleets (I don't, but others might want to).

This may be less of an issue if we're allowed to control/own multiple fleets. Having the right fleet for the job would be less of a hassle.

If all else fails, someone will mod it. Hooray for big fleet battles!

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 11:30:29 AM »

Yeah I'm starting to miss the massive *** engagements I was getting into prior to the update...

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 12:09:42 PM »

Yeah I'm starting to miss the massive *** engagements I was getting into prior to the update...

This too. I miss my invincible fleet of mega-death that could absolutely curbstomp the Hegemony Defense fleet. There's a certain joy to building up an enormous fleet that can crush all opposition. Something tells me that's not what Alex has in mind, though. =(

But I guess that's what mods are for.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »

I think he wants us to feel like the commander of a small, plucky mercenary fleet. I've bought every ship in every station, but I'm still micromanaging the amount of crew and cargo I carry and the ships I bring for each mission- it's pretty fun.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 03:20:02 PM »

I think he wants us to feel like the commander of a small, plucky mercenary fleet. I've bought every ship in every station, but I'm still micromanaging the amount of crew and cargo I carry and the ships I bring for each mission- it's pretty fun.
Maybe, just maybe, we make our own faction with fleets, and that's why the FP limit is so small
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 03:47:28 PM »

Maybe. But for now, being forced to have a fleet which isn't completely OP is pretty fun. I forgot what it's like to be the underdog. .52 is like a whole new experience from .51...

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 04:10:06 PM »

Maybe. But for now, being forced to have a fleet which isn't completely OP is pretty fun. I forgot what it's like to be the underdog. .52 is like a whole new experience from .51...

I like to overwhelm and crush my enemies like bugs (that probably says something about me), and this FP cap is really inhibiting my ability to do that. It's sometimes difficult to resist the urge to go into the data file and cut the FP cost of everything by half.

On that note, does the FP cost have to be an integer, or are floating points allowed?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »

I think the FP limit is entirely a good thing. I don't find the really large fleet battles all that fun, and if it is really this easy to maintain ships why don't the system defense fleets have 20 Onslaughts (I know 'realism' is a suck argument, but it does break immersion)? It always struck me that the game just kinda broke at around ~150 FP.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 11:00:17 PM »

the main limiter for me is really how often the tritachyon station has ships delivered to it, though i imagine the delivery rate won't be as bad when we have more systems and smaller fleets, and eventually you could produce them yourself if production ends up being a thing. The campaign is really a huge blob of bandaids, i can't wait to see what sort of stuff alex is going to move forward with the next update.

Also i expect an eventual admiral system similar to mount and blade's lords for doing stuff not with your immediate fleet.