Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The Saga of Hallorhan Doon -- Chapter One: Shipbreaking  (Read 954 times)

MeisterKeen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
The Saga of Hallorhan Doon -- Chapter One: Shipbreaking
« on: January 02, 2023, 01:11:40 PM »

Hey, folks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starsector/comments/100rory/original_story_the_saga_of_hallorhan_doon_chapter/

In a game like StarSector, you're seeing the world from the top down. You've got a ship, you've got incredible quantities of money, and you're trading at interstellar scales.

But what's the Persean Sector like at street level? When you get right down to dirt level, what kind of stories can be told? What happens when ordinary men have to wrestle with forces beyond their control?

Hallorhan's story is a vehicle for exploring exactly that perspective. Using the dev lore blogs, in-game lore and game mechanics as a reference, I intend to explore the Sector from an ordinary man's eyes.

The first chapter is hosted on Reddit currently, but I intend to create a website to be a proper home for the series. I hope to put out a chapter every two months.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Saga of Hallorhan Doon -- Chapter One: Shipbreaking
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 05:08:06 PM »

Hey, this is really good! I enjoyed it a lot, thank you for sharing!

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 03:34:40 AM »

this is really good! I enjoyed it a lot

Word.

I found it slightly hard to read on Reddit. It would be nice if it were available on a fanfiction website or here on the forum.

MeisterKeen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 02:29:39 PM »

this is really good! I enjoyed it a lot

Word.

I found it slightly hard to read on Reddit. It would be nice if it were available on a fanfiction website or here on the forum.

WHAT'S THAT?

OH, you want it in a MORE READABLE FORM?

WELL SKIPPY-DEE-DOO, LOOKIT THIS: https://www.meisterkeen.com/chapters/shipbreaking.html

That's right! Hal Doon has a new home. I built a website specifically for this purpose. And some other purposes. But whatever, Hal has a home now.

You're welcome.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 07:32:01 PM »

Awesome! Thanks - looking forward to more of chapter 2!

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 01:05:57 PM »

Read chapter 1 for a second time on your site. Absolutely god damn brilliant; the day-to-day of Sector life is something I've thought about a bit as well. Looking the hell forward to chapter 2 in full.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 07:02:22 PM »

Hadn't gotten around to reading this earlier, so I'll say it now: Damn, this is good, worthy of being noticed by Alex ;D

The writing gives me a certain 'classic sci-fi' vibe, but without the clunkiness I tend to associate with actual sci-fi from the period. Not sure I can explain better than that. Also the story looks like it works even for someone who knows nothing about Starsector, which is neat.

lol @ the quasi-cliffhanger at the end of chapter 2
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 07:06:59 PM by Histidine »