Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lore: Are the ships in the Persean Sector Very Outdated to Domain Standards?  (Read 1372 times)

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile

the lore of Persean League using high tech ships was definitely kinda more... Interesting than them just spamming DEM nowadays. Though we have to address that it has been 200 years since the Collapse. And Persean League as well as Hegemony could have outfitted many different inventories across their existence.

I could imagine Persean League still using moderate high tech amounts of ships because after all they were friends with Tri-Tachyon during the AI Wars. And are an opposite to the Domain in many ways they can. So, it would be just one more middle-finger to the Hegemony on their part.

FallenBlood

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I don't quite remember but wasn't the whole low-tech, midline, high-tech more of a doctrine associated with their respective domain eras? Low-Tech representing the early expansion period where battles were essentially unshielded, relatively slow vessels slugging it out between each other. Midline being an era of restructuring and experimentation where the domain was testing out new tech and tactics to see whats viable. And finally high-tech, after the domain has deeply entrenched itself as *the* polity controlling humanities interstellar ambitions, leading to designs that incorporate the latest technological developments (like phase ships), combined with high maneuverability and excellent flux stats without a care in the world about the logistical profile, cause the domain most certainly has/had the industrial capacity to back it up.

That and the fact that there is the possibility of them being able to just shut off a partition of the gate network and isolate any rebelling sectors, before simply establishing a beachhead and systematically reconquering any lost worlds.
I have inherited my grandfather's 1967 Mercedes 600 and it has two horns.

1 for town and 1 for causing extinction-level events.

Bungee_man

• Commander
    • View Profile

I don't quite remember but wasn't the whole low-tech, midline, high-tech more of a doctrine associated with their respective domain eras? Low-Tech representing the early expansion period where battles were essentially unshielded, relatively slow vessels slugging it out between each other. Midline being an era of restructuring and experimentation where the domain was testing out new tech and tactics to see whats viable. And finally high-tech, after the domain has deeply entrenched itself as *the* polity controlling humanities interstellar ambitions, leading to designs that incorporate the latest technological developments (like phase ships), combined with high maneuverability and excellent flux stats without a care in the world about the logistical profile, cause the domain most certainly has/had the industrial capacity to back it up.

Well, the Hegemony was formed from a late-domain Legion, and their doctrine is low-tech with some midline mixed in.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Just thought I'd bring up some context for low-tech :

The only redeeming feature is the ubiquity of blueprints for the arbalest round, which is effective at bringing down enemy shields. The effectiveness of the shells is poorly understood, and is suspected to lie in the unintended electromagnetic properties of the shell jackets.

When leaving the firing chamber, each shell ogive is charged with a field of anti-protons which hovers 10-20 nanometers in front of the shell, stabilized by a baryon coating. On impact with a target, this anti-proton "sheath" loses structural integrity and the resulting reaction does further damage. Given the fact that shells already deliver impressive destructive force to the target, the combined reaction makes the Heavy Mauler particularly effective versus armored targets.

Both of these weapons use a type of technology best described as space magic.  The mechanisms that allow these things to happen would be so complex that most of the well-described energy technologies would be much simpler.

The Hegemony is what's left a fifty year treck through dead space completely without serious fabrication ability.  I seriously doubt their ships, after a further two hundred years in a backwater sector, are up to standard Domain spec.

forsaken

• Ensign
    • View Profile

In fact, even the most basic necessities that support in-game civilization, such as fuel, are produced through the Domain's automated equipment, and Perseus knows nothing about the production process. The 14th Strike Group that came here at the breakdown was a small unit called Strike Force Pollux, but even that was enough to make them unbeatable in space and on the ground, The only thing limiting the Strike Force Pollux would be the need for a steady supply of fuel and supplies to retake all of Perseus and control the colony into what would become a Hegemony. If Domain still existed then Perseus would still be vulnerable

forsaken

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I want to say that they are. Having been cut off from the rest of the galaxy with the gates being taken down, the Persean Sector lacks the level of technology and resources for innovation that the Domain would've had access to in, I assume, their core sector. That leaves us in a situation where we're dealing with scavenged technology which has done little in the way of advancement.

To be honest, the most "updated" technology in the sector kind of belongs to the [redacted] since those were new creations by Tri-Tachyon, but we already know what happened there. There's also ol' Iggy Ziggy which is the latest in warship development in this sector. How that might compete with modern Domain technology, assuming they still exist outside, is uncertain.

If we're only talking about comparing technology to pre-Collapse era, then no, I'm pretty sure ships like Paragon and phase vessels were peak for their time.

You also forget The Dorito Snacks at the [SUPER ALABASTER].  :D

Are they even human-made? Given how the [redacted] speak of them, and some lore snippet of alpha cores self-terminating when instructed to study(?) them, I get the impression they're some hyper-advanced alien technology. Either that or they're the creation of a rogue AI.

In fact, I believe that the technology for the boat came from the door, and the purple particles were used by Domain to drive the door, so ultimately the technology came from Domain
Pages: 1 [2]