Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How giga is the Gigacannon?  (Read 3525 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
How giga is the Gigacannon?
« on: December 29, 2022, 06:50:21 AM »

Alex, inquiring minds want to know! Would you be willing to share a pic of the Gigacannons stats?

Is Philip Andrada utterly unhinged or could this weapon work well on certain ships?

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How giga is the Gigacannon?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 11:23:39 AM »

??? - Kind of random?

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 12:08:12 PM »

While we wait, some hypotheses
1. One billion regular cannons linked together firing as one unit
2. A weapon that shoots several thousands of units of antimatter fuel at the target
3. A gigantic kinetic penetrator round filled with angry cyber-lobsters that will attack the ship's crew if the round makes it through the armor
4. A cannon that fires literally frigate sized shells. A regular combat vessel can only carry one round of ammunition, but god help you if it hits.

Can't wait to play with the new Sindrian things. If there is a LG Conquest I am using it even if it's a worse version. Please don't make it much worse though.
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 12:35:32 PM »

If there is a LG Conquest I am using it even if it's a worse version.
Sadly, Diktat loses access to conquest next patch, I won't be excepting a LG conquest.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 02:19:40 PM »

If i remember well it is like a massive antimatter blaster? It sounds rad.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Pablovansnogger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 02:34:02 PM »

My guess is
Damage 1500
Flux efficiency 1.3
DPS 500
Range 600
DP 28

ForestFighters

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 02:40:44 PM »

My guess is
Damage 1500
Flux efficiency 1.3
DPS 500
Range 600
DP 28
What you have described there is literally just a heavy blaster for 28 DP.

Pablovansnogger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 02:47:42 PM »

My guess is
Damage 1500
Flux efficiency 1.3
DPS 500
Range 600
DP 28
What you have described there is literally just a heavy blaster for 28 DP.

Heavy blaster only does 500 damage? This would be way better against armor and way more alpha damage. Also whose to say this isn’t quite similar to the heavy blaster. The new kinetic blaster looks like a hybrid between the heavy blaster and pulse laser. There’s definitely going to be some resemblance to other energy weapons.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 04:17:40 PM »

I'm thinking an Energy Hellbore cannon basically—very high per shot damage but extremely slow RoF. Poor range like most non-beam Energy weapons.

What I want to know is, just how high is that per shot damage going to be. Let us know Alex!

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 06:03:14 PM »

I'm expecting it to basically be an antimatter blaster with 700 range and a ROF of about 20 shots a minute, so DPS of 1400/3=467.

ForestFighters

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 07:38:30 PM »

Heavy blaster only does 500 damage? This would be way better against armor and way more alpha damage. Also whose to say this isn’t quite similar to the heavy blaster. The new kinetic blaster looks like a hybrid between the heavy blaster and pulse laser. There’s definitely going to be some resemblance to other energy weapons.

The only upside of this over the heavy blaster is that it crunches armor more and has more alpha. Otherwise, it has identical DPS, Range, and similar Flux/s. But it is a heavy mount, and costs 16! more OP. Why would anyone every use this? Such a minor upgrade for over double the OP cost.

Pablovansnogger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 08:33:59 PM »

The only upside of this over the heavy blaster is that it crunches armor more and has more alpha. Otherwise, it has identical DPS, Range, and similar Flux/s. But it is a heavy mount, and costs 16! more OP. Why would anyone every use this? Such a minor upgrade for over double the OP cost.

You’re right that does seem kind of weak thinking back over it.

Let me say ranges then with some reasoning.
Damage:
I don’t think it will be any higher than 1600. With the AMB being at 1400 I don’t think it will be that much stronger than something with limited ammo.
DPS:
the AMB does about 116dps I think? I don’t think this will have a rate of fire slow then the AMB, so DPS should be atleast 300, but less than 600 to not overlap with the better larges.
Flux Efficiency:
It is supposed to be fairly flux efficient, so I don’t see it behind greater than 1.3. The efficiency also shouldn’t be better than 1.1, any better and it will probably be to good it taking shields down.
Range:
Less than 600, it’s a short range weapon, so it shouldn’t outrange blasters. It won’t be less than 400, since I can’t see how less would make sense on a large slot weapon mostly goes on capitals.

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 09:48:49 PM »

If there is a LG Conquest I am using it even if it's a worse version.
Sadly, Diktat loses access to conquest next patch, I won't be excepting a LG conquest.

That's it, I'm learning modding next version. There is no way I am going to be playing Persean League and/or a faction without Conquests.
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 12:00:12 PM »

The blog described it as having huge per-shot damage with good flux efficiency offset by poor range, and explicitly said it would perform well on ships mobile enough to bring it to bear.

It'd probably be be disgusting on a Radiant.

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 12:49:31 PM »

The blog described it as having huge per-shot damage with good flux efficiency offset by poor range, and explicitly said it would perform well on ships mobile enough to bring it to bear.

It'd probably be be disgusting on a Radiant.

Going by alex's description, lets look at a (roughly) comparable weapon, the Plasma cannon.
700 range, 500/shot, 750 dps, 1.1 flux/dam

Throwing some random numbers out there:
600 range, 1500/shot, 600 dps, 1.2 flux/dam

This would make it worse than the plasma cannon against shields or lighter armour, but would still have value as a terrifying high per-shot damage weapon.
Pages: [1] 2 3