Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How does the shipping disruption simulation works ?  (Read 1154 times)

NEmergix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How does the shipping disruption simulation works ?
« on: December 24, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »

A bit of a complex question, but does anyone knows how the way shipping disruption is handled ? I do not belive every convoy that goes mission does so "around the player" (eg rendered) and therefore is vulnerable, so what triggers shipping disruption ? Maybe the game has a heat map of faction "claims" in hyperspace and that any convoys that go over ennemy territory is at chance to be destroyed ?

Very interested since missing convoys and planetary disruptions are the bread and butter of any good smuggler.
Thanks in advance.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How does the shipping disruption simulation works ?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 11:44:03 PM »

Nope, the only convoys that can be destroyed are the ones you see, all the other transport of goods is not simulated

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 05:11:12 PM »

As far as I recall, it depends on the stability of origin and terminal. The less stable, the more risk.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 05:59:16 PM »

In a word: Poorly.

I recall reading that there's a reduced chance of disruption for in-faction imports.

However, as far as I can tell, there is always a chance of shipping disruptions; the only way to 100% prevent getting hit by them is to make sure you've got full vertical integration: For example, one planet with mining feeding into refining feeding into heavy industry, guarantees that your heavy industry cannot be disrupted.

(Even partial integration can get the job done; if you've got refining and heavy industry on the same planet, and refining is generating two more output than heavy industry takes as input then you're safe: shipping disruptions are always -2. Even without that, refining will generate local stockpiles of metals, which can stave off the effects of a disruption on your heavy industry.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 06:09:46 PM »

I recall reading that there's a reduced chance of disruption for in-faction imports.

However, as far as I can tell, there is always a chance of shipping disruptions; the only way to 100% prevent getting hit by them is to make sure you've got full vertical integration: For example, one planet with mining feeding into refining feeding into heavy industry, guarantees that your heavy industry cannot be disrupted.

(Even partial integration can get the job done; if you've got refining and heavy industry on the same planet, and refining is generating two more output than heavy industry takes as input then you're safe: shipping disruptions are always -2. Even without that, refining will generate local stockpiles of metals, which can stave off the effects of a disruption on your heavy industry.)
You remind me of a run a year ago, where I colonized a planet and its moon. During an exploration in seek of more blueprints, I got notified that there are shipping disruptions between my refinery and heavy industry, where they are on the planet and the very moon of it.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 01:12:10 AM »

It probably needs a bit of a tweak then if you ask me
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

NEmergix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 05:45:47 AM »

Thanks for the good reply, but i already figured the colony stuff.
I'd realy like if a dev actualy answered this question since i havn't been able to find anything of value by digging in the files and looking on the web.