Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress sold 300k units in 6 days on steam  (Read 3754 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress sold 300k units in 6 days on steam
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2023, 02:30:48 PM »

Damn, I've never seen someone so hurt because a game isn't available on Steam.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 02:34:47 PM »

DF was in development for 16 years before its release, so if anything its success vindicates the current development model.
And starsector was in development for 11 years lol
I have no idea what the f is wrong with people on this forum and their assumptions that steam which features all levels of vaporware, is unfit for starsector which is in a pre-release state.
Not alpha, not tech demo, not beta, not your grandmother's teeth, but version 0.95

It doesnt need to be on steam, the developer is free to lose any amount of money they wish to, but these dipsh*t posts on the forum make me see red.
Not one of you clowns can justify coherently why starsector cant go on steam, but you defend your clown ass f-ing incoherent, fully *** and detached bs opinion like you actually could reason it. Yet you cant.

I can list you a hundred games that are in varying stages of alpha and beta. Some with hundred thousands of supporters despite delivering 1-2 content patches a year like valheim, and some which have been abandoned for years now, but still are being sold.
Yet your clown ass firmly plants your own foot in your mouth and go like "it ain redy deddy cuz eh sed so".

I cant.
I just cant.
Fckin irrational clowns.
At least have the common courtesy, decency and common sense to stick to factual reality, would you?
Alex doesnt want to and thats it.
Alex has his own reasons, its his product, his choice, his whatever. Every decision lies with him. Acceptable. Fine.
Yet you are here, making up *** on his behalf, talking absolute horse shait all over the place, making zero sense and antagonize people who offer a perfectly valid point.
Do you think starsector is a kpop band or some sh*t where you can spasm out in a literal 0 iq fanboy religious fervor?
Is this your religion or some shait? Is that why you cant present as much as two fcking coherent thoughts which are connected to eachother?

I wish i could at least remotely comprehend what drives chat bot intellect level bots like you people.
But i cant.
And it pisses me off.

This is not acceptable behavior on this forum. Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules, especially the part about treating other members with respect:

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2668.0

And please consider this an official warning.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 09:42:58 AM »

DF is at a much more completed state. The play hours to see "everything" is around 2k hours played, cuz the interactions in the game go deep and players can find more cool things to do way after. Conversely, DF is also near a dead end in development, only thing would be animations, better isometric, readability on happenings, all of which is baisically near impossible at this point.

While starsector has a well developed combat and... That's it. All the other aspects could be improved so much more that honestly, unless some real life events force it, doesn't make sense to release it. A player realistically can pkay about 12 hours before exhausting most of the stuff to do.

You only get to release a game once. Release it now, get 1/10 of the people when you release at 20 years. Anything artistically creative reap more benifits the "deeper" it goes untill a certain completion point. Starsector is faaaaaarrrrr from that point.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 09:47:57 AM by Linnis »

kronkdark

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 02:27:03 AM »

Heniker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2023, 06:29:45 AM »

DF is at a much more completed state. The play hours to see "everything" is around 2k hours played, cuz the interactions in the game go deep and players can find more cool things to do way after. Conversely, DF is also near a dead end in development, only thing would be animations, better isometric, readability on happenings, all of which is baisically near impossible at this point.

While starsector has a well developed combat and... That's it. All the other aspects could be improved so much more that honestly, unless some real life events force it, doesn't make sense to release it. A player realistically can pkay about 12 hours before exhausting most of the stuff to do.

You only get to release a game once. Release it now, get 1/10 of the people when you release at 20 years. Anything artistically creative reap more benifits the "deeper" it goes untill a certain completion point. Starsector is faaaaaarrrrr from that point.

If you're talking about Steam release of DF, then I'd have to disagree. On release that game had game-breaking bugs and a lot of hiccups that made players experienced with the old version upset. Also there is still no adventure mode, which is a big part of the game.

Starsector has enough "developed" stuff for what it is worth. Certainly there are things to add here and there, but I've sunk many hours into my first playthrough not because I am fan of the genre or for some other invalid reason. Who knew exploring space could be so fun and engaging. Also, even the 12 hours you mention is way more than what I spend on most AAA titles this days.
The only thing I feel the game is lacking is probably a smoother transition from tutorial to the open world, but that's only IMO.

As for the steam release. I would love to see this game get the attention and support level it deserves, but I am not sure if Steam release would help in that matter.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2023, 01:37:30 AM »

Generally, i really don't understand the attitude of "the game isn't finished". Yes, Alex doesn't consider it finished, but realistically you can consider it finished as a 1.0 since years with everything after being just expansions

.... the hell? i've put way more hours into this game... this is only true if you think doing everything in the game once iis the entirety of what you can in this game

RipleyRiley

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2023, 10:57:06 AM »

I waited until DF hit Steam to buy it. I'm doing the same with Starsector.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2023, 09:38:48 AM »

As opposed to buying DF directly from Toady, you mean? ;D

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2023, 03:08:35 PM »

for the record I think alex is 100% correct to wait to upload this to steam. subnautica is a great game & i never got to experience its finished experience bc i played it in its alpha state to saturation, such that when it reached its 1.0 it had effectively been ruined by my having already consumed it. like eating the raw pasta out of the pot until you're full before the chef has finished making the spaghetti sauce & then getting huffy when he insists on the children staying out of the children
(of course SS is an exception, its beta state (doing simulator & missions for hundreds of hours) happened to be the game i wanted to play & all the rest is cherry on top but the majority of the players who don't seek the game out on its forum & blogspot site won't share my specific brand of autism)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2023, 11:23:41 AM »

for the record I think alex is 100% correct to wait to upload this to steam. subnautica is a great game & i never got to experience its finished experience bc i played it in its alpha state to saturation, such that when it reached its 1.0 it had effectively been ruined by my having already consumed it. like eating the raw pasta out of the pot until you're full before the chef has finished making the spaghetti sauce & then getting huffy when he insists on the children staying out of the children
(of course SS is an exception, its beta state (doing simulator & missions for hundreds of hours) happened to be the game i wanted to play & all the rest is cherry on top but the majority of the players who don't seek the game out on its forum & blogspot site won't share my specific brand of autism)

Not sure I would compare it to eating raw pasta out of the pot.. that wouldn't end well in any scenario.

I agree with your points about getting bored of alpha/beta releases.
I had the same problem with Elite Dangerous, played it way too much during the first kick-starter beta.

Star sectors a little different though in that regard, it's much closer to being a full 1.0 product than any other game I've played 'too early' (imo)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2023, 11:41:08 AM »

The biggest factor there is the replayability and length of said game. Starsector thankfully being very replayable and not super long gives it a ton of effective time someone might enjoy it, so each patch is a different experience (and that's not even mentioning mods). Then there's more straight forward games, let's say adventure, action something that has half of the game done, and it slowly adds on content until the end is implemented. Such games made for one, maybe two playthroughs tend to be bad in this regard since the devs usually add QoL and bug fixes towards the end of development cycle. So the early experience is both very unstable, and unsatisfying due to the incomplete story and progression. So it can leave a bad taste in someone's mouth, meaning they never experience the full thing.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2023, 10:40:26 AM »

The biggest factor there is the replayability and length of said game. Starsector thankfully being very replayable and not super long gives it a ton of effective time someone might enjoy it, so each patch is a different experience (and that's not even mentioning mods). Then there's more straight forward games, let's say adventure, action something that has half of the game done, and it slowly adds on content until the end is implemented. Such games made for one, maybe two playthroughs tend to be bad in this regard since the devs usually add QoL and bug fixes towards the end of development cycle. So the early experience is both very unstable, and unsatisfying due to the incomplete story and progression. So it can leave a bad taste in someone's mouth, meaning they never experience the full thing.

I agree, the (very) early release of Mount Blade 2 was a good example of that.

I just want to see a story mode progression in the next update as I've been waiting what seems like forever since the big Ziggurat update.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2023, 02:11:46 PM »

i think if SS waits until the right time (after a similar-ish AAA open world game flops?) to launch on steam it could do insane numbers. a couple years ago i wouldnt have believed it but this game has become a cult classic over time, i hear ppl bring it up out of nowhere at least once a month
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then
Pages: 1 [2]