Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress sold 300k units in 6 days on steam  (Read 3800 times)

Cubano

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress sold 300k units in 6 days on steam
« on: December 21, 2022, 09:00:42 PM »

Just sayin...

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress sold 300k units in 6 days on steam
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 05:13:13 AM »

DF went on Steam when it was ready. Starsector will not go on Steam until it is ready.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 05:22:27 AM »

DF was in development for 16 years before its release, so if anything its success vindicates the current development model.

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 09:17:08 AM »

There's been a lot of people saying 'Well.. Steam won't generate any more of a player-base than it already has'
I personally think that is grossly wrong, Steam will generate not just plenty of revenue for Alex, but also fresh enthusiasm and a whole extra community of players and content creators.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 05:26:09 PM »

There's been a lot of people saying 'Well.. Steam won't generate any more of a player-base than it already has'

I have seen nobody say that. A big problem is it will result in many new players and the new player experience is still lacking in some areas.

Cubano

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 08:49:23 PM »

I have seen nobody say that. A big problem is it will result in many new players and the new player experience is still lacking in some areas.

DF is not exactly a player friendly game. Even with the new graphics, it is way more opaque than Starsector. I mean, we're playing already so it doesn't affect us but IMO it would be very well received and provide the dev team the compensation I think they deserve.

Supereor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 09:40:19 PM »

Not gonna "subtweet", but I think something I said in another thread about Starsector being on Steam is one of the posts they were referring to, in which I said "I disagree with the idea of this game's launch on Steam being its big time in the limelight.  IMO, this game has simply been in development for too long, had way too much attention put towards it, and had way too much polish put in it for the majority of people that would play this game to think of it as an exciting new release." and "Releasing this game on Steam would just be a nicety at this point."

I honestly don't think the game being difficult to get into will be much of a deterrent, there are games that are muuuch more difficult to get into than Starsector that have found success on Steam, I think the bigger problem is just that this game isn't done yet; if we're to wait for it to be done, then... well, here we are, and if the game were to release on Early Access, then it would be in an environment where a) people are distrustful after being screwed over by developers abandoning games and b) people will think the game is dead if it doesn't get an update every 6 months.

Also, to the OP directly, I personally don't believe that Dwarf Fortress and Starsector are comparable; as someone else pointed out, Dwarf Fortress has been in development for much longer, was released on Steam for a certain reason regarding the healthcare issues of one of the developers, and had a complete graphical and UX overhaul following its Steam release.  Part of the appeal of buying the Steam version is, more or less, that you're actually getting a playable game with graphics, and a lot of the reviews indicate that people already knew the game existed, but are only picking the game up because the game is now easier to get into than ever before.  Starsector doesn't have a graphics and gameplay accessibility problem in the same way that Dwarf Fortress did, and as a result, its release on Steam wouldn't really be the same thing as Dwarf Fortress's.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 12:52:58 PM »

Now that we're relatively close to release, it would be silly IMO to release Starsector on Steam prematurely. You're (still) looking at lengthy wait times between major versions, which is bound to *** people off. Yes, it's very polished but is an early release worth the downvotes of all the people who don't know this game's developmental mindset?

Yes, it should absolutely be on Steam, but doing it prematurely is likely a move that burns some potential unnecessarily.

Virtually everybody knows what Dwarf Fortress is about. Its prohibitive UI and general depth are legendary stuff of memes and there are no misunderstandings what you're getting into. Starsector is an underdog. It has not made it into the collective gamer mind in the same way. Although people who are seriously into PC gaming, such as a lot of streamers, know about it.

It's one of those "quick cash now" vs "more cash later" situations. Where it's not just cash but about customer feedback & satisfaction also.

Big Bee

• Commander
  • bugs are cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 01:32:10 PM »

Dwarf Fortress was already quite well-known before its Steam release.

I don't really get why people can't just accept that Starsector will be on Steam when Alex feels it's ready. He's made the decision that he feels this is the best way, and I don't think any amount of nudging and *hint hint*s will change that. Nor should they.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 09:54:10 PM »

I don't really get why people can't just accept that Starsector will be on Steam when Alex feels it's ready. He's made the decision that he feels this is the best way, and I don't think any amount of nudging and *hint hint*s will change that. Nor should they.

WAs reading reddit, when someone posted something to the effect of "There is no good games made in java". Starsector was the 3rd top voted example just below runescape.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 04:44:22 AM »

That guy can't have been very much into the indie gaming scene. There's lots.

Big Bee

• Commander
  • bugs are cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 06:20:18 AM »

WAs reading reddit, when someone posted something to the effect of "There is no good games made in java". Starsector was the 3rd top voted example just below runescape.

Wasn't minecraft also made in java? Anyone making such a claim doesn't know what games were made in java, I guess. Which means they don't know what they're talking about.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 07:59:12 AM »

Starsector, Minecraft, Project Zomboid, Rise to Ruins, Slay the Spire, Space Haven... and that's just what I have installed.  ;)

Vespa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 06:38:27 AM »

Considering the reasons behind Dwarf Fortress being sold on Steam (to help fund health-related expenses), I'm glad it's doing well.
This space originally left blank

Aerensiniac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2023, 02:22:23 PM »

DF was in development for 16 years before its release, so if anything its success vindicates the current development model.
And starsector was in development for 11 years lol
I have no idea what the f is wrong with people on this forum and their assumptions that steam which features all levels of vaporware, is unfit for starsector which is in a pre-release state.
Not alpha, not tech demo, not beta, not your grandmother's teeth, but version 0.95

It doesnt need to be on steam, the developer is free to lose any amount of money they wish to, but these dipsh*t posts on the forum make me see red.
Not one of you clowns can justify coherently why starsector cant go on steam, but you defend your clown ass f-ing incoherent, fully *** and detached bs opinion like you actually could reason it. Yet you cant.

I can list you a hundred games that are in varying stages of alpha and beta. Some with hundred thousands of supporters despite delivering 1-2 content patches a year like valheim, and some which have been abandoned for years now, but still are being sold.
Yet your clown ass firmly plants your own foot in your mouth and go like "it ain redy deddy cuz eh sed so".

I cant.
I just cant.
Fckin irrational clowns.
At least have the common courtesy, decency and common sense to stick to factual reality, would you?
Alex doesnt want to and thats it.
Alex has his own reasons, its his product, his choice, his whatever. Every decision lies with him. Acceptable. Fine.
Yet you are here, making up *** on his behalf, talking absolute horse shait all over the place, making zero sense and antagonize people who offer a perfectly valid point.
Do you think starsector is a kpop band or some sh*t where you can spasm out in a literal 0 iq fanboy religious fervor?
Is this your religion or some shait? Is that why you cant present as much as two fcking coherent thoughts which are connected to eachother?

I wish i could at least remotely comprehend what drives chat bot intellect level bots like you people.
But i cant.
And it pisses me off.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 02:26:49 PM by Aerensiniac »
Pages: [1] 2