Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simplify Missile Autoreloader  (Read 1493 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Simplify Missile Autoreloader
« on: December 28, 2022, 03:00:54 PM »

There is an interesting upcoming hullmod called Missile Autoloader (https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1607515951469330432) It is intended to buff small missile weapons, particularly ships with only one or two of them.

I think that is a nice idea, but the implementation could be simpler. I suggest making it a flat or percent based ammo increase and count every slot that can mount small missiles.

A combat rated autoloader provides additional ammo to small missile weapons, with a greater benefit for ships with fewer slots for them.

Does not affect weapons that do not use ammo or already regenerate ammo. The number of extra missiles is not affected by skills or hullmods that increase missile weapon ammo capacity.

---Bonus Ammo---

Determined by ship size and its number of small missile, synergy, composite, universal, and medium missile slots, both filled and empty. Having fewer slots simplifies the task and increases the amount of extra ammo.

*table like in link, but with equivalent percent or flat ammo increases*

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Simplify Missile Autoreloader
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 03:36:40 PM »

Yes, it seems very involved for what it's intended to do.

I get the why of the complications, but they don't seem worth the complexity.

Pablovansnogger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 04:35:20 PM »

I’m not sure if I think it’s too complicated or not. However, one way to simplify it would only allow it to be installed on ships with 2 or less small missile slots with a set number of reloads, but that makes some missiles less viable. Best way would to dynamically update the UI depending on what the ships load out is, but that probably is a pain to program.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 05:06:38 PM »

All these limited use missile reloads are basically just flat increases to ammo capacity with extra steps. The Gryphon's Missile Autoforge is, again, an area where this could be massively simplified (and free up its systems slot).

IMO all these missile reloader effects should either be infinite with limitations, or just what this topic says: a simple ammo bonus.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 05:55:35 PM »

Can the OP range be reduced to 5/10/15/20? The hullmod seems quite niche to be that costly.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

PureTilt

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 10:23:20 AM »

Most small missiles have refire of 1-3 seconds giving them large flat ammo bonus will make them too powerful for bursts

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 05:51:28 PM »

Most small missiles have refire of 1-3 seconds giving them large flat ammo bonus will make them too powerful for bursts
Yeah, this is one of the key points of this hullmod, it's not just EMR+ (but for small missiles only) but something different and a bit more interesting.

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 01:33:38 AM »

Still it could be made simpler. Lot of times the arument aganist adding stuff(like detailed and modified info on the refit screen) is that "it wOulD bE tOo cOmplIcATeD foR tHe NeW plaYeRs".
And yet here we are with a hullmod that only exist to make small missiles a bit more viable but has literally the longest and most complex description.