Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Current thoughts on Eradicator(P)?  (Read 4958 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Current thoughts on Eradicator(P)?
« on: December 18, 2022, 02:32:06 AM »

This got completely glossed over in a chaotic thread:
(The Eradicator (P) is currently 18 DP in the dev build, btw. I think it was slightly under-costed.
I don't think this will change anything, but I'm still curious about the tiny nerf and how people in general think about the ship. Since let's be real, the base one gets all the fame and spotlight.

I used the pirate versions in early and mid game, they're honestly pretty solid, especially when you have to chase down something. Not that grand in AI hands, which is to be expected, but still nice. I just completely got rid of them once my fleet got to 240 DP, I found there are better ways to allocate my limited deployment points. And that is perfectly fine, the ship got its time to shine. It just seems this change is kinda unnecessary? A single point more expensive, yeah sure 18 looks nicer than 17 but I wonder did anyone else thought the pirate version was undercosted?

It would also be nice to hear how you guys use this variant and how you build it, since the lack of AAF turns the focus from ballistics to missile mounts a bit more.

(I know this is such a minor thing, I'm just extremely bored waiting for patch notes to drop.)
Please don't take me too seriously.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Current thoughts on Eradicator(P)?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 03:14:50 AM »

I have had the same feelings as you: it was good enough to use until running into the DP limit obsoleted it. So the DP nerf seems pointless to me.

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 04:43:13 AM »

huh, I thought erad Ps were 15 dp before looking into this thread.
though yeah, I've straight up never considered using a pirate eradicator (even when I thought they were 15 dp!), losing AAF is just such a big loss to my mind that they're not really worth it.

They're also just kinda annoying to get unless you're doing a pirate-themed run, that does nothing to help their case.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 05:21:31 AM »

I've always found the (P) variant to be much easier to get, just because it turns up so often in salvage from general bounties and random encounters.
While the standard version turns up in some specific deserter bounties, and beyond that only in markets.

And the mobility I thought was a fair tradeoff for the loss of direct power.
I've used Erad (P) fairly successfully many times*. The greater mobilty makes it very well suited to a "troubleshooting" flagship role, as well as a generalist pursuit/skirmish ship.

Not particularly bothered by them having the same DP cost - they feel kind of same-ish to me, even if they slightly lean toward different roles.

Too many times tbh - The Eradicator is now part of my "banned" ships list, because I've used it so often that it's become dull and I need to make myself use something else.
And most of that use was the (P) variant due to its much greater availability.
[close]

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 05:31:37 AM »

17 was pretty spot-on IMO. I would actually decrease the DP to 16(assuming normal Eradicator stays at 20), but I would also nerf armor on both Eradicators.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 06:05:47 AM »

Not particularly bothered by them having the same DP cost - they feel kind of same-ish to me, even if they slightly lean toward different roles.
Wait we're still talking about Eradicators? Base one is 20 DP right now, pirate one is getting upped from 17 to 18 DP.
Please don't take me too seriously.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 06:44:42 AM »

Personally I feel the bump to 18DP is fair. I found the P-radicator to be honestly generally great. Alex also wrote the post in a way that doesn't imply that vanilla Raddy went unchanged, so we'll have to see.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 06:51:20 AM »

I don't think they are worth using at 17 DP so I won't use them at 18 DP.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 01:46:04 AM »

Wait we're still talking about Eradicators? Base one is 20 DP right now, pirate one is getting upped from 17 to 18 DP.
lol. Shows how often I've used the base variant at least.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 01:47:44 AM by Serenitis »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 08:14:51 AM »

I don't think pirate eradicator was bad, but normal eradicator was very good which overshadowed it. I do think the amount of armor that both ships have is underrated.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2022, 08:21:40 AM »

I think the Pirate version is great (for what it is). I don't use them in my fleet but I like fighting against them. I've tried to pilot them but I've always found that Burn Drive gets me into more trouble than it helps me. It's not like the Eradicator (without AAF) is a powerhouse so I tend to over-pursue without scoring kills. Funny how they'll cost more than Eagles now... :P

Lortus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2022, 05:05:47 AM »

Back when Eradicator was 15 DP I was actually using it but at 17 DP it's basically unusable. I hope that the nerfs come with compensation nerfs to Eradicator to make up for it, although I feel Erad P at 18 DP is also pretty bad even when compared to the other cruisers.

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2022, 07:44:16 AM »

17 was pretty spot-on IMO. ... I would also nerf armor on both Eradicators.
Eradicator, Dominator and Outslought  are only ships which works (so-so) with  hullmode Shunt. Basically Eradicator is the only shieldles fast cruiser. In next patch, I would like see buffed Shunt  hullmode to  be cheaper  from OP  3/5/7/10 to price OP 1/2/3/4. Shield  shunt is fun but it has only very niche usage.

Endless topic about rabbit hunters,  Eagle/Falcon is   still bouncing in the same box. DP up or down, Flux up  or down. Discussion avoid the  elephant in the room, where the the  spice?  Where is the selling point?

Ships need the flavour in the  first. Eradicator is  armoured   - fast  - forward attacking ship which can be shunted. Works  great with  aggressive pilots and/or weapons with clips. In my point of view, eradicator has flavour, therefore is fine as it is. Possible change in DP one point up or down for general balancing purpose is  possible.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 07:58:39 AM by gG_pilot »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2022, 05:39:57 AM »

Even without the ammo feeder, Eradicator (P) with Railguns and other weapons seems like a solid attacking ship, even if not as strong as the stock Ludd version.  If Apogee gets more expensive (and Eagle getting cheaper) next release, I see no problem Eradicator (P) at 18 DP.  For now, I prefer Eradicator (P) over Eagle.

Pirate version is easier to get than the Ludd version.  However, Asher is almost as easy to raid as New Maxios, and stock Eradicator blueprint can be stolen from there.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2022, 08:21:10 AM »

In my fleet I like the normal Eradicator for the higher firepower, but when facing enemy fleets in the early/mid game its the P variant that I'm more scared of when facing it. I've lost destroyers to that burn drive where they couldn't get away fast enough!
Pages: [1] 2