Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lion's Guard "Special Modifications" Banner Color  (Read 468 times)

Spacer Heater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Lion's Guard "Special Modifications" Banner Color
« on: December 05, 2022, 08:31:52 PM »

Sorry to bring this up again.

As a quick recap for those who don't know: Next patch, the Lion's Guard fleets will be receiving cool looking reskins and built in solar shielding, at the cost of having a built in D-mod "Special Modifications" which will cause the the Lion's Guard to be "ever so slightly worse than baseline on average".

I don't really mind that they will be weaker, or that they come with a D-mod. They look super cool and I will recover them anyway. What I do care about that it will always carry with it that orange D-mod banner with it everywhere, which makes me irrationally upset. So instead of "Special Modifications" being represented by an orange banner, could we have it be that red/purple Diktat color scheme instead?

If the Lion's Guard is meant to be a "parade fleet" I feel like this will add some extra extravagance to those ships. Not to mention, it might cause a new player to think the Diktat is stronger than they actually are, while more informed players will correctly see it as a paper tiger.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Lion's Guard "Special Modifications" Banner Color
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 04:33:09 AM »

I had the same concern, and Alex said the d-mod will be removable by restoring the ship. So if you want to avoid looking at orange stripes, you can burn some cash to be rid of it.

Now, that was before he changed the ships from straight downgrades to allegedly something more unique. I hope the unique effects aren't tied to the d-mod being present.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 06:27:34 AM »

It should be a normal hullmod, as long as the downsides are something insignificant like +1% casualties and -1% repair speed then I don't care if it isn't restorable. If it actually has a negligible upside too then even better.

Spacer Heater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 10:45:44 AM »

I hope the unique effects aren't tied to the d-mod being present.

Don't really want find the exact line right now, but I'm pretty sure that the special effects are. Which is why I suggested this. I'm mainly here for the skin though so as long as it is removable I don't mind.

It should be a normal hullmod

Honestly I'd like something like this.

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 02:12:25 AM »

I mean if you don't like the painfully ham fisted "dictator = stupid in everything including military" thing (as if the descriptions of the Diktat didn't already bring it home that it's not an ideal place to live) then just make a mod like Well-Advised Modifications that changes the Special Modifications to actually save crew lives. Heck, if nobody else is going to, I will.

During an inspection of an early prototype hull, the Supreme Executor was heard to comment unfavorably on the exposed conduits running along the passageways, and the danger these must pose to the brave, loyal crew of the vessel under combat conditions.

The new chief designer, with input from the Supreme Executor himself, has modified the blueprints to include blast-proof insulated paneling.

If the passages are a bit narrower and more difficult to navigate %u2013 and if the conduits are slightly more prone to overheating, and more difficult to access %u2013 then surely it is a small price to pay to protect the lives of the Supreme Executor%u2019s most loyal servants. The design makes you wonder why nobody had thought to shield combat ships' crew from blasts before. Surely the extra cost is a small price to pay to protect the lives of the crew.

Effect: -5%  crew lost due to hull damage in combat
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 03:24:16 AM »

That's honestly way more cheesy than the opposite. Genius Benevolent Mary Sue Overlord who is not a starship engineer introduces an Amazing Innovation that somehow eluded dozens of generations of professional shipbuilders in the Domain, saving Millions of Lives and earning the Eternal Loyalty of his people.

I'm sure I've read this in a few Isekais.

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 04:07:30 AM »

Haha I think it'd fit. It implies nobody cares about crew lives... Except the dictator, but only if you work for him. Fits overall moral ambiguity. It is canon he is trying to save Lion's Guard crew lives after all.

Anyway if you have pretty ships only available as loot, they should actually be special in a good way. And special enemies should be threatening. That's just good design. But that's beating a dead horse I think.

If you'd rather it doesn't do anything good though then the idea still stands. You could just make kt

Special Modifications
This ship has been modified with input from the Supreme Executor himself. All bulkheads carry portraits of or inspirational quotes by Phillip Andrada, while a lifelike hologram of the Supreme Executor casts his commanding gaze over the mess hall. A special room contains interrogation equipment to ensure crew loyalty, and the officers' quarters include a small library dedicated to the Supreme Executor's works.
No gameplay effect.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 07:05:08 AM by CapnHector »
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge